Suggest 40-46" HDTV for Movies+Gaming

#adder
I have read this before but how poor are the blacks? :p
I had seen the LG 32" Scarlet or something more than a year back while checking out TVs for a friend.
It was IPS IIRC, colours, especially whites, were much better than the Samsung 32C530 we bought for reasons totally different.
So if the Panny has LG IPS Panel, any reason for it to be worse?

P.S. Also, i guess there must be something hugely different between IPS panels in TVs and PC monitors?
The IPS 24", 30", 23" LCD/LED PC monitors look pretty OK to me- i prefer them over TNs for BF3 multiplayer- makes spotting enemies easier i swear. :gap:

Here goes,

1. Viewing Distance?

2. Clarity/Noise Cancelation/Pixelation?

3. USB Media Support?

4. Is WLAN built-in or needs a dongle?

5. Comments on Plasma Fragility

6. Rating vs LED?

7. Are you worried about the 1 year warranty?

8. Audio Quality? (I would be buying Onkyo HT soon but until then...)

9. External looks (does it look dated?)

10. Ambient Light reflection. Does that cause any inconvenience?

Any other views.

TIA
<

1. Viewing Distance?

around 11-14feet

2. Clarity/Noise Cancelation/Pixelation?

very clear and sharp. currently using it for dvd content and high resolution images.

3. USB Media Support?

pendrive works. avi mp4 worked flawlessly. havent tried a external hdd or mkv yet.

4. Is WLAN built-in or needs a dongle?

its built in

5. Comments on Plasma Fragility

dunno exactly

6. Rating vs LED?

prefer this to led as i feel the colors are more natural on plasma

7. Are you worried about the 1 year warranty?

no

8. Audio Quality? (I would be buying Onkyo HT soon but until then...)

quite good. audio and voice are decent. but cant expect miracles from it

9. External looks (does it look dated?)

looks very stylish and is very slim. its the latest march 2012 release model.

10. Ambient Light reflection. Does that cause any inconvenience?

well i am using this tv in my office for presentation and so far there isnt much reflection. but when the screen is black you can see some reflection as the screen is not matte finish. will be best to keep all lights off.

Damn... stormy dada... you are making me rethink everything. :p
How much is the rated power consumption on that thing?
i bought a 3d tv last week and it is simply amazing. consider getting it. totally worth it.

i got the samsung ps51e550 3d plasma full hd 51" (2 3d glasses) for 72k. colors are fantastic and i prefer them over led screens.

its a smart tv so everything is builtin. has lots of features and inbuilt wifi so you can connect it to your network at home without buying anything seperately.
with bill or grey?

The only issues with plasma panels are the higher power draw and heat output! I suppose the panel has a couple of fans at the back to expel the heat out.

Damn... stormy dada... you are making me rethink everything. :p
How much is the rated power consumption on that thing?

with bill or grey?

with bill.
well i have never measured power draw but its not that big a problem. i have a 50 or 52" lg plasma at home as well which is 1nhalf year old and never had any issues with high power consumption or heating.
the samsung 3d dunno about the heat but i dont think its gonna be a problem. i think since you have the budget you should go for this.

Seems like i just might have to go for Plasma... for great viewing angles, deep blacks and blur free fast motion like PC gaming?
(and an AC too as my cave is getting hotter by the day, even for me. With a Plasma in there, i may expect 'kaboom')
LED LCD vs plasma vs LCD | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews
Myths, Marketing, and Misdirection: HDTV edition | Crave - CNET
LCD vs. Plasma

edit: maybe not. text clarity in desktop use might get affected. hope someone using plasma can test and update.

Did some running around and so did a friend. Seems like he might be able to get me a Panasonic L42U30D for 43-44 and a Samsung 46D550 for 58-59.
- Used 'standard/natural' PQ setting and played with the brightness, contrast a bit and the Panny Viera 42" IPS LCD looked neat. Couldn't make out the 'not deep black' black issue honestly (as the place was very well lit maybe?) Colours were yummy and so were the viewing angles. Used a notebook pc with GMA4500HD(?) for input via HDMI and some 720p/1080p trailers. :p
- The Sammy 46D550 was available at a place where it was right next to the windows- too bright to check anything. But saw a 40D550 elsewhere. Typical Sammy LCD.
- My friend didn't let me check the Sony CX520 (65K) again, though different place, as it could hardly play any format the last time we checked and also didn't detect his NTFS Passport Essential, whch pissed him off real bad. :p

Also, I saw a LG 42" LCD (with fairly fat bezel) next to a Philips 46" LED )with very slim bezel) playing Sony Max cricket HD side-by-side from approx 10'-12' away and i didn't realise the the Philips was a 46" one till told. :O
I can cough out that 60K but what i am now wondering is if the 46" sammy will offer me significantly more "image size" (not screen size mind you) than the 42" Panny, at a max viewing distance of 8'-10'. especiallyin HD movies with black bars, as the image height is much lesser than actual screen/display height.
So Panny 42 or Sammy 46, i.e. 44K for a 42" or 59K for a 46", is the question. :p

I would go with a 46" considering your viewing distance.a 46" D550 will most probably have a SPVA panel and the blacks are very deep.

As far as movie with black bar use this http://tvcalculator.com/ to get an idea about the screen size and image size.

^ +1 to adder's recommendation.

BIKeINSTEIN please go for a 46" if your budget allows you to do so. A TV is an investment for 5-10 years and you will regret it later. Side by side you probably won't notice much. When it is the centerpiece in a small room, you will realize how "big" it looks! :)

Hell I'd go with that 46 incher! At 58k I suppose it's a no brainer that LCD wins hands down.

Come this August, and I'll have to get myself a 46 incher for my home at my native. Those folks are struggling with a 25" Sony Wega since over a decade. :p

@BIKeINSTEIN (damn I hate these scientists :p)

Me and @Gannu, got a sammy 40 incher for 58k some time back so its a no brainer to go for 46 incher, mind well within 3 months your butt will be itching to upgrade or kicking itself for not going for bigger screen when you could.

Its always bigger is better in screen size if you can afford it :)

enjoy the pic, and now I know where to stay when in mumbai, make space.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm... Dad prefers Sammy over Panny but is worried of the size and power draw, said "why 46? Get 40. Next time you will want 60!!" :lol:
Maa was like get what you like but in 46. :D
So me being the good son will listen to them. I heard dad say "get sammy" and mom say "get 46 ". :devil2:
Will get the Sammy 46. Thanks a lot guys. :hap2:
Do I need voltage stabiliser/UPS something? Voltage does drop at late evenings and stabilises/peaks around dawn to drop again later.

And what of USB playback? Are you interested in that feature? If not, I suppose the Panny may be a good choice considering the PQ. USB playback wise, nothing beats the Samsung yet!

A friend of my boss got himself the new 2012 entry-level model of the LED series - a 46EH5000R. The only downer is HDMI connectivity ports limited to 2.

I am not very very sure, more so coz the ambient lighting was too bright and we did some manual settings on the Panny but colours, whites, blacks looked good. Skin tone too was more apt. On the Sammy, we only had picture in standard mode and it looked nice and bright and bold but typically Sammy, oversaturated maybe?
In PQ, Panny IPS LCD wins and size Sammy wins, I guess.

Stock settings yes, oversaturated and extremely dynamic colors. Once set as per the AVS Forums' guides, the colors are warm and neutral. I am a sucker for PVA panels over IPS. :p

LA46D550K1R - TECH SPECS | SAMSUNG India
well, so here is the final call: 58.5K for Samsung LA46D550 minus 1K for old 25" Sony Wega = 57.5K all incl. for LA46D550

adder Gannu medpal
And i stumbled across this now after i came back from the store. :O
Che, it is only 100Hz, for 46" at least 200Hz is required else the running ticker you see in news channels and all will appear fuzzy.
I have tested that when i was buying my Sony and it is clearly visible.
Plasma, LCD or LED ??? - Page 2

the 46D550 is only 50Hz?
Never checked TV channels as i don't watch TV anyways. But my dad watches news and mom watches the usual stuff. :(
What to do?

Forget about the motion interpolation rate unless you watch a lot of sports channels. I haven't YET used the Auto Motion Plus 100 Hz tech. on my LCD ever since I've bought it circa Diwali 2010. Problem is, when you turn that feature on, the dreaded soap-opera effect comes into play. Just head to the nearest outlet and check this feature out yourself. The movie loses its natural theatrical rhythm and everything starts looking like some sort of a documentary shot. Because the TV doubles (if it is 100 Hz) the number of images within the standard picture. If you are not going to use it, why have this feature at all. I have honestly not been bothered by judder in whatever media I've played on the panel till date. I don't have a DTH/cable connection to watch sports so that's there.

The 46D5000 was the cheapest of the full HD LED displays from Samsung launched during 2011. Now the EH5000 has replaced it. It's a good panel, slightly thinner than the LCD variant. If the difference is less than 6~7k, it may be worthwhile. Else forget it and get the D550. I believe the D550 should be a PVA - I saw most of them were.

PS: Use @ instead of # for tagging. # was for IPB. :)

Does anyone have this? > VIERA TH-L42U30D | Panasonic
How is it if you do? :)
Panasonic 42 Inches Full HD LCD TH-L42U30D Television | Television | Flipkart.com

Any feedback on Panny TVs warranty and ASS? :)

Else it's mostly between 40D550, 46CX520, 46D550- depending on what i find/like/am-in-the-mood for. :p

Hi,
I am having this Panasonic tv and I am impressed.
I adjusted the color scheme after installing it at home.
It's attached to VideoCon dth and even on sd box it was giving excellent result. Now it's running on hd box but still standard channels really look good. Parents are happy about it and I bargained quite a bit and got it for 44. Delivered some 100 km away on next day and brought from brand showroom

Viewing angles are excellent and color reproduction is excellent. Five stars from me.

Media playback. I honestly did not get time to test all files but whatever I put across played out well.

Let me know of you need any info about this panel.

Agree sales service for tv I did not have to use it but I had to use it when I bought Panasonic inverter ac.

It's pretty good. They came for install on third day. And they replaced compressor after one week as it had leak. No hassles and it was well serviced.

The 100hz advertized in D5000 is a gimmick,All you notice is a drop in brightness and doesn't improve motion.

Its only in D6000 series which has the 200hz(frame insertion +backlight scanning) which does a noticeable job ,but since you will use it for gaming enabling these will lead to a higher input lag.

So get the 46" D550 or 46"D6000.

As far as Soap Opera Effect the 2011 model and newer ones from Sony have no such effect when you choose the option Clear under motionflow and you still get 1080lines of motion resolution.But considering your budget the Sony motionflow models are expensive and starting with the EX720.Again enabling them will increase the input lag.

Back