Suggest a BlackBerry cellphone for DAD under Rs.15k-20k

bodmas

Adept
Hello Friends!
I am planning to buy a Blackberry cellphone for my DAD under Rs.15k-20k. Suggest me a good Blackberry handset within this range.
Advance Thanks!

I won't suggest you to buy a BOLD Series because BlackBerry has rolled out OS7 phones, which are definitely better.. I think a BlackBerry Curve 3G will be good for your dad.. The phone is decently priced and has ample features to support your dad's connectivity & messaging needs.

Hi, there are various types of Blackberries available in the market. So it solely depends on how you are going to use it. Usually blackberry prospective buyers expect the following features from their blackberry: Push Email, BB Messenger, Internet Browsing. They usually do not expect it to be media powerhouse since it has decent specs but albeit lower compared to Android or iOS. So please let us know how your dad will use the blackberry.

1) Blackberry Curve 3G (9300)

Price - Rs 13499

This blackberry model is capable of HSDPA and also has WiFi b/g/n. Hardware wise it is decent and capable of handling decent tasks. CPU rated at 528 MHz and RAM at 256 MB, internet browsing and multitasking can be done with less strain. Good screen resolution and size at 2.46 inches. But it has inferior camera at 2 MP and would not be recommended for photo shooting. Maybe capable of taking occasional snaps. Also is capable of document editing and viewing.

Specs - BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 - Full phone specifications

2) Blackberry Bold 3 (9780)

Priced at Rs 21,299 this model seems to be the best choice Blackberry has currently available. It has excellent 624 MHz processor coupled with 512 MB RAM which is more than enough for handling tasks that the blackberry requires. Given the OS, this hardware will give you a pleasant experience. It has a decent screen size of 2.44 inches which is capable of 65K colors and gives a nice visual experience. The Bold series has the best keypad layout than other Blackberry models and also has touch sensitive trackpad. It also has an decent capable camera of 5 MP with LED Flash which is more than sufficient for photos. All this plus legendary Blackberry experience. I would absolutely recommend this if your budget is in the 15-20k range.

Specs - BlackBerry Bold 9780 - Full phone specifications

2A) Blackberry Bold 2 (9700)

Priced similarly as Bold 3 at 21,594, I would not recommend this above Bold 3. Now this has same processor as the Bold 3 and is predecessor of Bold 3. It has lesser RAM of 256MB and also comes with Blackberry OS 5.0. The 3.15 MP camera is also lower in standards compared to Bold 3. So while it is recommended above other models, I still think it is not better than Bold 3. So you might well as buy Bold 3 when looking at Bold 2 given the price difference.

Specs - BlackBerry Bold 9700 - Full phone specifications

3) Blackberry Curve 8520

Price - Rs 8989

This phone is excellently priced for customers who wants Blackberry that can be used for emails, documents editing and also internet browsing on the go. It seems to have decent specs and also should handle basic functions with ease. But it has lower resolution screen and inferior camera. IT DOES NOT HAVE 3G.

Specs - BlackBerry Curve 8520 - Full phone specifications

4) Blackberry Torch

Price - Rs 26854

Torch is overpriced and it is not different from Bold 3 except screen size and touch screen with pull down keypad. My recommendation is check the price. If you can get Torch for cheap than BB Bold 3, then by all means get it. Else you will still be happy with Bold 3, if you decide to buy it :)

Specs - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Full phone specifications

5) There are other models like Storm, Storm2 etc but Storm does not have WiFi while Storm2 touch screen experience is not good. So if you are buying a Blackberry for your dad, it is better to buy one with keypad as that is what made Blackberry a Blackberry.

So given the price range, you should set your sights on Bold 3. It will give the best experience for your dad. But at the end, it is yours and your dad's choice. So choose what you like and suits your requirements.

rather than looking at bold 2 (9700) that costs 21k+, look at getting a bold 2 essex 9650 from the US. this one is a cdma phone but has gsm slot too that can be used primiarily, and you can get gsm bis/bes. has a wonderful 624mhz processor, has 512 memory as opposed to 256 (?) in the bold 9700, and can be obtained for much much lesser than 21k - so much lesser that paying the extra for warranty doesnt make any sense.

else, 8520 is a fine device for dads, in my opinion. does the job a blackberry is required to do.

@aradhakr:

(off topic)

/The Bold series has the best keypad layout than other Blackberry models and also has touch sensitive trackpad./

not really. the best keypad layout were in the 72xx series :D, old-timers at crackberry forums still lament about that layout! the 87xx/83xx ones had the best and most tactile keys though, and also a much better layout than present ones - i have both 8700 and 8310 curve (apart from my main office bb - bold 3) and i take them oldies out from the attic from time to time for a spin. really loved those keys - too bad walking around with one has become slightly embarrassing nowadays, else id have still retained them. and they could do exactly the same thing that i do with the new one i got!

@aradhakr84,sasa110 ~ Thanks for the suggestions. Requirement is Good Battery Backup, Emails, Easy to use and good camera. Does Airtel provide Blackberry mobiles on contract basis.

dont know about airtel, but others sell the handsets at full price unfront - no leasing/renting, as far as i know. if you want installments you can easily work one out with credit card. if you want good camera, look at bold 3 at a minimum. battery really depends on how much you talk and how many internet apps you stay connected to - those who talk all the time need to compromise on apps ..etc.

Back