Suggest a console for a 12 year kid. (PS3 or Xbox 360)

Which console to get for a 12 year old kid?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • PS3

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Others

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
Dear TE,

I need a suggestion which console to get for a 12 year old kid? This is going to be his first console and should last him for at least 3 or more years.

I am confused between the PS3 (slim or superslim) or the xbox 360. I have a good idea about both of the consoles and i can personally refurbish it so that it lasts him. And i will also jailbreak it as the console is NOT going to be connected to internet.

The main confusion is regarding the kind of games that the kid of his will like. Also i have a slight preference for the xbox 360 controller. Feels much better. Need your suggestions.

Why not go with the PS4 slim as they are cheap today and jailbreakable.. PS3 is fine too but being an old hardware u have to wait alot ( genuinely alot) of time to install games in the internal. PS4 can mostly replay previous games available for the PS3 as well.

Nintendo switch ftw
Don't have the budget for it. Lol.
Why not go with the PS4 slim as they are cheap today and jailbreakable.. PS3 is fine too but being an old hardware u have to wait alot ( genuinely alot) of time to install games in the internal. PS4 can mostly replay previous games available for the PS3 as well.
The console will be offline. So i can do a one time installation.

Nintendo switch ftw
Nintendo switch will only increase his screen time than a regular tv based console tho.
Don't have the budget for it. Lol.

The console will be offline. So i can do a one time installation.
PS3 has better titles hands down.. Try to go with the slim version as it creates less noise and doesn't fails as much as the previous versions.

Last edited:
How about ps4 with jailbreak instead of ps3?
Suggested this for a friend few months ago and kids are really happy with new games every month..

Isn't a ps3 or xbox 360 just way too old to give to a child (especially with phones these days). Why did you go for these 2 consoles when they're 2 generations behind already?

Isn't a ps3 or xbox 360 just way too old to give to a child (especially with phones these days). Why did you go for these 2 consoles when they're 2 generations behind already?
Because of the following two options:

1. Have to keep the budget below 10K. I don't think that I can get a PS4 in that budget.
2. The kid wont have access to internet at all. The device will be completely offline. He lives a village. So the only games are those that I will install them on his jailbroken console. PS3 and XBOX 360 both have robust jailbreak and works completely offline.

You can buy a thin client and go the route of retroarch. It can emulate many types of games.
Added benefits is its also a media player so they can watch stuff from external drives as well.

Because of the following two options:

1. Have to keep the budget below 10K. I don't think that I can get a PS4 in that budget.
2. The kid wont have access to internet at all. The device will be completely offline. He lives a village. So the only games are those that I will install them on his jailbroken console. PS3 and XBOX 360 both have robust jailbreak and works completely offline.
Ah then that makes sense. I believe the ps3 would be the best option then. Load all the bestseller games till max capacity and that should be more than enough. Can gta 5 be pirated and installed?

If I was to give a 12 year old kid any console and my budget was low.
I would also look for jailbreak Nintendo console( wii or wii u).

Those games are much better for kids.

Ofcourse ps3 and Xbox are not bad either but feel nintendo is just better suited.

If I was to give a 12 year old kid any console and my budget was low.
I would also look for jailbreak Nintendo console( wii or wii u).

Those games are much better for kids.

Ofcourse ps3 and Xbox are not bad either but feel nintendo is just better suited.

Okay. That's a quite different suggestion. I never had a Nintendo console so don't really know about it. I mean i don't know which kind of games are available on it. But i will definitely look into it.

No Jailbreak is a deal breaker.

Plus added expenses for Fan and BD drive repairs.

Back