Linux Suggest a Distro for a linux newbie

Sai@tech

Adept
Aug 7, 2009
chennai
Been trying out mint and really liking it
<
<

looking for a simple guide to dual boot with win 7 any Suggestions ??

shrjun

Disciple
Jun 11, 2010
A little off topic but , can linux Mint/Ubuntu be run concurrently with Mac OSX lion on a new MBP 13" ? I would like to have the option of dual booting into either OS.

ryandigweed

Disciple
May 21, 2009
Get ubuntu 10.04 LTS (or the ultimate edition) and install macbuntu . install all satanic stuff like non free codecs , flash, java, chrome etc .Nothing else will beat this combo for a new user . don't try to run and experience liunx from cd/dvd you will hate it in minutes always install it in a separate partition .

Can you tell me more about it?. yeah i did run it from live CD, and i hated it, as i couldnt install the drivers for my WIFI card.
<
but then once i installed it i managed to save and install.

ch@ts

Skilled
Jun 13, 2005
Been trying out mint and really liking it
<
<

looking for a simple guide to dual boot with win 7 any Suggestions ??

I think setting up dual booting becomes easier if you've got windows 7 installed first.

Install windows 7 - install linux. When asked where to put the boot manager, choose boot partition and NOT MBR.

That's it.

See if this guide helps - Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu in Perfect Harmony

Also, once you've got your dual boot set-up going, install super boot manager.

SOURCES.LIST � Super-boot-manager 0.6.1-4 released

Then use it to get a boot menu like -

madhukannan

Adept
Aug 29, 2011
Thrissur
techkannan.com
@ryandigweed

Try Ultimate Edition which is a customized distro based on Ubuntu , you will get most of the media codecs and loads of desktop programs instaled by default no need to add repositories and additional downloads . one problem with Ultimate edition is the horribe default theme the worst one i have seen on any distro .

to get a better (usable) interface add a Mac like interface simply by installing Macbuntu from source forge .

http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/

install a dock panel like docky

Last edited by a moderator:

akj_1989

Disciple
Apr 18, 2011
If you just want to try out the distros before going for full fledged install, I'd suggest what I'd used:
Install the Linux distro in VirtualBox. New version supports Graphics acceleration also, you'd be able to have better performance/usability than from a LiveCD.
Of course, the best thing is to make a dual boot, but that can be done after you finally select the distro you want to have.

Good luck!

sri_k

Adept
Jan 18, 2008
i installed mint aloingside win7 in my netbook...I installed from usb drive,after installation i noticed the GRUB has been copied to my usb...Each time i start the system i need to use usb&make it boot from that else grub wont load...How do i copy to my hdd?

vishcool

Recruit
Apr 3, 2010
Linux Mint Maya is the way to go for new users, lot of support found in forums, it is based on Ubuntu LTS 12.04

Soyab0007

Gamer
Adept
Dec 30, 2008
Andheri west
After installing Linux mint, unable to boot into Windows 7...
on the boot menu, it shows Windows 7 at last but unable to boot into it..
What should I do?[DOUBLEPOST=1380100018][/DOUBLEPOST]soyab@soyab-GA-78LMT-S2P ~ $ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for soyab:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-40-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-40-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda5
done

Last edited:

mathrisk

.: deleted :.
Adept
Mar 17, 2008
Bangalore
www.thefinsight.com
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda5
done
Have you confirmed your Windows C drive is indeed in /dev/sda5?
(I'm not sure how 'update-grub', but I had faced this problem when I manually edited the grub.conf file)
If its confirmed, than I suppose you might have to restore windows MBR and edit grub again using any Live CD.

Press down arrow on keyboard and. Select win 7 . Press enter . Win will boot then .
Now thats a solution. :p

ankushv

Adept
Jul 30, 2010
He said win 7 was not booting . What must have happened is that after installing linux it boots by default into linux instead of wjn 7 . All he needs to do then is manually select win 7 by pressing down arrow key and selecting win 7 . P.S. I have been using linux since the time of red hat 6 . So I too know a thing or two about linux .

mathrisk

.: deleted :.
Adept
Mar 17, 2008
Bangalore
www.thefinsight.com
He said win 7 was not booting . What must have happened is that after installing linux it boots by default into linux instead of wjn 7 . All he needs to do then is manually select win 7 by pressing down arrow key and selecting win 7 . P.S. I have been using linux since the time of red hat 6 . So I too know a thing or two about linux .

Ooops by bad. NOM.
I am no expert in Linux. I just played with it couple of times.
But your answer seemed like the solution provided by most Cust Care guys. :p
(And I suppose the OP isn't a mere n00b since he cared to add the 'update-grub' details)

Soyab0007

Gamer
Adept
Dec 30, 2008
Andheri west
Ooops by bad. NOM.
I am no expert in Linux. I just played with it couple of times.
But your answer seemed like the solution provided by most Cust Care guys. :p
(And I suppose the OP isn't a mere n00b since he cared to add the 'update-grub' details)

Formatted both the drives :mad: (Linux mint and Windows 7) and Installed a fresh windows 7 :)

Now want to know the step by step instructions to install Linux mint 14 in separate drive while having Windows 7 in dual boot..

afterburner

Disciple
Sep 21, 2013
Honestly try Elementary OS Luna its stable now ans aesthetically its way better than Linux Mint,using it from beta1 ;)
I'm also installed in separate drive installed as usual installed bootloader on /dev/sda(which is by default) done:cool:
Cheers

Soyab0007

Gamer
Adept
Dec 30, 2008
Andheri west
Honestly try Elementary OS Luna its stable now ans aesthetically its way better than Linux Mint,using it from beta1 ;)
I'm also installed in separate drive installed as usual installed bootloader on /dev/sda(which is by default) done:cool:
Cheers

It looks like Mac os,
Is it open source or paid?