Linux Suggest a distro

^^

I have checked the HDD for sectors and memtested via DOS. Came out clean.

Will try more stuff as you have suggested though.

Try Archbang ArchBang

It's rock solid, light on resources and can be configured however you please.

Since it's basically a pre-configured Archlinux, it retains all it's advantages without the fuss of setting everything up from scratch on your own.

asingh said:
Guys I need some feedback on Linux Mint.

Some background first:

I am really tired and irritated with Win7 on my DL rig. The Intel Atom setup I reviewed some time back. I always shut it down properly but I get the "windows did not start properly" and it goes into repair mode, which runs for like ~4-5 hours, but still never reaches the desktop. Last week it happened so bad, that the OS went corrupt. I have lost ~4-5 days of seeding time which is really bad. Overall it shows that the OS is not stable.

Questions:

Now if I install Linux Mint, is it more stable. Will it cause issues while shutting down and booting up like Win7. Am sure the footprint too will be less, though HDD space is not a problem for me since it is 2TB in size. I just want a smooth hassle free OS which will not force me for re-installs. Also how is Bittorrent client on Linux Mint. I just need some assurance and will do the new OS install.

Any other feedback would be great.

Thanks.

The torrent client is Transmission, hope you are aware of the same, also that it more clutter free and not as intuitive as utorrent, If suppose you put 2 or more torrents to download, there is no auto start queue facility. All of them just begins at one go! This is one major feature that is missing. You can also try uTorrent else with WINE.

asingh said:

Some background first:

I am really tired and irritated with Win7 on my DL rig. The Intel Atom setup I reviewed some time back. I always shut it down properly but I get the "windows did not start properly" and it goes into repair mode, which runs for like ~4-5 hours, but still never reaches the desktop. Last week it happened so bad, that the OS went corrupt. I have lost ~4-5 days of seeding time which is really bad. Overall it shows that the OS is not stable.

Questions:

Now if I install Linux Mint, is it more stable. Will it cause issues while shutting down and booting up like Win7. Am sure the footprint too will be less, though HDD space is not a problem for me since it is 2TB in size. I just want a smooth hassle free OS which will not force me for re-installs. Also how is Bittorrent client on Linux Mint. I just need some assurance and will do the new OS install.

Thanks.

I used to use rtorrent on an old P3 machine (headless) running on archlinux arch linux. If you find archlinux tough to install, you could use Ubuntu Alternate CD to install ubuntu minus the GUI.

asingh said:

Some background first:

Questions:

Thanks.

do you always completely exit your torrent clients before shutdown?

make sure these seeding processes are closed. (such as torrents and other p2p)

asingh said:

Some background first:

Questions:

Thanks.

Mint is just a branded ubuntu :p . Considering that you need a GUI and mind it GUI is helpful you can give it a try else SERVER version are always there . Best client on Linux is Deluge[on home PC] according to all the torrent users and I also like it more than the others and do compile 1.3.1 or 1.3.2 those releases work the best the latest one had problems AFAIK , for SERVERS ruTorrent + rTorrent is the best so far . ArchLinux requires a lot of effort to setup and get it working altogether I dont think you will put it that much effort on a download rig :p but if you do its completely worth it :) .

Back