PC Peripherals Suggest a ' good ' DVD writer

Hi all, looking to buy a new DVD writer. I will be basically using lots of verbatim DVDs, so suggest me a good DVD writer which has good burning & reading capability.

PS : Preferably with a SATA connection.

Thanks
Abhay

I would suggest ASUS.. Brought one 2 months back & it was able to read all the scratched DL discs which couldn't be read by the LG & Samsung drives i was having earlier..

Go for sony, my last one lasted 4 years and i burnt over 500 disks, now i have bought dru880s Sony its 1000+ tax and is very good.

new drives will surely read scratched discs .....the problem starts when it gets old ....my 2 year old sony...could not read ordinarily scratched discs but a brand new HP could read a heavily scratched one ...now after an year the HP drive is worse than sony ....i'd suggest lite-on, asus and sony ...to give lifelong performance.

^well said. All the new drives read scratched DVD's. However I wont suggest Sony anymore. My drive doesn't read DVD's nor it burns them (2007)

i have 3 LG DVD Writers,

First : i am using it since July 2007, Burnt almost more than 500 DVD's + CD's

Second : I am using it Since December 2008, Burnt almost 200 DVD's + CD's

Third : Second : I am using it Since April 2010, Burnt almost 50 DVD's + CD's

yeah ...sony tend to fluctuate with users ...my deive is still funtional ....but my friend's ( though used in a clean AC room) ...died in 2 years ( same usage)

have heard good deal about the LG drives but no personal exp

i think sony, asus and e-lite or what eve is the name but no lg ....
my drive die just in 16 month and i use to rearlly use it ....... not even 100 dvds i burned on it.....
i personally think give chane to asus or best sony....

thank u for strating this thread as my self was going to buy one for my self....

Does the brand of the optical drive really matter much ? I've never given much thought to it anytime I had to buy one for anyone. Always picked up LG or Sony.

LG FTW!! +1 to all who suggested LG!! Been Using one for last three years!!! Burnt 300+ DVD's!! No issues till now!! Have changed my configurations thrice till now!! Hehehehehehe

well with DVD writers, you can never be sure. All brands have some disgruntled users. I would suggest pick up the cheapest among LG, Samsung, ASUS or Lite On :). Write as much DVDs as you can while it's working. Avoid SONY if you can. They cost you 100-200 rupees more and generally have more problems reading scratched ones.

Back