Suggest a good QWERTY handset

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
I need a phone to replace my cousin's Nokia E63 i am presently using- preferably an actual QWERTY.

I had almost bought the E71 or a BB 8520 but my stubby thumbs preferred the E63.

Unfortunately, i didn't find the call clarity or network reception of the E63 to be upto the mark- just about acceptable imho.

Being used to the E63 now, there is a slight inclination to pick up a Nokia E5- no clue how good or bad it is.

There is also this huge urge to get the Moto Defy but a QWERTY phone has been greatly helpful while sending long messages urgently.

So kindly help decide, based on the following-
(1) Great build quality.

No squeaky panels, eventual fading/peeling of colour/paint from the keypad, body, cover, etc etc
(2) Fast UI.

(Things should happen as instantly as possible with every click)
(3) Great battery life.

(The longer the talktime on a single charge, the better.)
(4) Great network reception.
(5) Great voice clarity.
I guess i have listed the things that make a phone a phone, for what it has to do primarily. Anything else is a bonus.

P.S. Backup phone is a 7210 Supernova- well-built, good clarity, good network, good battery and slim+light to be carried as a second phone. Will look for a replacement once the primary phone is taken care of.

Thank you very much everyone- sincerely.

Like i said earlier, am trying my best not to get a Defy and give higher priority to the physical qwerty as that has been really helpful- else Defy is #1 on my list

I have tried the on-screen qwerty of some phones and irrespective of screen orientation, haven't found it very comfy for my type of n00bish use.

my use = urgent long mail/sms with proper grammar/punctuation without typos = fast mashing of buttons = need tactile feedback to do it almost eyes closed. :gap:

The Galaxy S PRO has everything going for it in terms of specs on paper except for 2 main things- it's Samsung and that it's Samsung. :p

Even if i overlook the lack of well-finished metal on the Sammy bricks, the quality of plastic used too doesn't invoke even mild admiration from within me- the indeed nice/notewrothy/brilliant SGS included. :)

I prefer a "quality" phone with less features and maybe pricier than a phone with everything under the sun but lacking in quality. :ashamed:

(eg. i bought a Nokia 6310i when the 6610 was just out and lived happily with it for 1.5-2 yrs till i moved on to a 6230i)

Crackling/muffled breaks in-call, poor reception when another handset maybe be outperforming it with the same sim, squeaky/flexing/loose panels, etc are some things i find quite irritating to the extent i will stop using that product unless it was too cheap to begin with to make the flaws acceptable.

eg. If i get a X2-01, i will keep using it if bearable or get rid of it. But won't complain as i didn't expect it to perform anyways. But can't do the same trial and error with a pricier phone.

Till now the only thing that kept me away from HTC/Android phones has been the battery life.

I think it's time to carry a spare battery and charger or some quick charge gizmo in the backpack. :)

And I began this journey looking at an E5 and am still stuck on it in that price range. Little more and i can get a ChaCha/Defy/Desire(?).

If i get to that 15K mark, some may debate why not an E6 but as said earlier, 10K+ and not Android- you gotta be kidding me.

I don't like you Google but you are making it impossible for most to ignore you. :no:

P.S. I am also a sucker for white/silver phones and there's no Defy in that colour.

So ChaCha managed to wriggle in with- QWERTY, 800MHz, 512MB RAM, Gingerbread, Gorilla Glass, typical HTC build with metal parts, Silver/White, , Not very expensive, ...

At 15K odd, it seems way more vfm than a Nokia E6.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
So ChaCha managed to wriggle in with- QWERTY, 800MHz, 512MB RAM, Gingerbread, Gorilla Glass, typical HTC build with metal parts, Silver/White, , Not very expensive, ...

Multimedia wise the E6 pwns the Chacha since the 800MHz is a very old MSM7227-T CPU with a Adreno 200 which is considering pretty anemic for a 15k+ android.

E6 records and plays 720p and has a superior VGA resolution and rivals iPhone 4 in PPI. The build and battery also seems excellent.

But yeah since you dont need these multimedia stuff you might not count for you.

But then i would say stick with the E5. Its a great budget qwerty which has all bases covered.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
my use = urgent long mail/sms with proper grammar/punctuation without typos = fast mashing of buttons

Bikey dada you sure about Gorilla glass part as the gsmarena or other reviews does not mention about this? Even am planning to ditch my Curve 8310 for a new qwerty and problem is same thick fingers :p

Roxtin said:
Bikey dada you sure about Gorilla glass part as the gsmarena or other reviews does not mention about this? Even am planning to ditch my Curve 8310 for a new qwerty and problem is same thick fingers :p
Sqmmo.jpg

HTC ChaCha - Full phone specifications

Have to check the buttons and the response in person. :)

I am also looking for some qwerty phone in 10k range, almost went for E5, then suddenly saw it doesn't have secondary camera :(

Now, again its all confusing.

In your case, I think you would be better off with Sony Erricson X10 mini (with qwerty) which just launched now with 1GHz Proc, 720p HD Video recording...And price is just 15k..

Plus you get gingerbread!

akj_1989 said:
I am also looking for some qwerty phone in 10k range, almost went for E5, then suddenly saw it doesn't have secondary camera :(
Now, again its all confusing.
In your case, I think you would be better off with Sony Erricson X10 mini (with qwerty) which just launched now with 1GHz Proc, 720p HD Video recording...And price is just 15k..
Plus you get gingerbread!

Its not the X10 mini. Its the Xperia mini. X10 mini is the old one.
But ya i concur. The h/w is more powerful than Defy :D It also runs a cool four corner UI that can house a total of 16 short cuts. You can get it for ~15k.

Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro Review

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

The slide out qwerty is also good. Only -ve is the smallish 3" HVGA screen. But then you win some and lose some. Guess this is the one that fulfills all your requirements :)

Back