Budget 21-30k Suggest a laptop for basic use - Lightweight is priority, no gaming, music, movies

raksrules

Elite
I need to buy a laptop for my dad who will use it only for accounts related work and use only excel and tally softwares. He does not use the laptop for anything else. Absolutely no gaming or music or movies. The top most priority is light weight. He had previously used Toshiba satellite which was very heavy at 5+ Lbs.
Currently he is using MSI X-slim X410 which is slim enough for him and lightweight too at 3.3 Lbs (i think). So he prefers lightweight laptops as many a times he has to travel in Mumbai local trains with his bag which has the laptop and a heavy laptop makes things difficult (He is over 60 years of age).
Please suggest something which is lightweight and preferably not much expensive.
It is not necessary for the laptop to have numeric keypad as for that purpose we have an external mouse-numpad combo.

Screen size: 14" or above

What screen size are you looking at?
I would suggest the Acer Aspire One 725. It has a 11.6" WXGA screen (1366*768)
The C-60 1GHz dual core AMD APU is sufficient enough for your dad's needs. It weighs just ~1.2kg. (2.65lbs)
Acer Aspire One 725 Laptop (APU Dual Core/ 2GB/ 320GB/ Win7 Starter/ 256MB Graph) (NU.SGPSI.002): Flipkart ~ 20.4k

If you need more power and a larger screen then the Asus U32U ~ 18k. Has a 13.3" screen, AMD E450 APU (2 cores, 1.65GHz).
Asus U32U-RX012D Laptop (APU Dual Core/ 2GB/ 320GB/ DOS)
It weighs 1.75kg (3.85lbs)

Sorry i forgot to mention screen size... it is 14" or above.
Will edit the first post too.

In that case go with the S400. Thats pretty much the lightest 14" you will get that is closer to your budget. It uses a ULV i3-2365M Sandy Bridge which has a 17w TDP enabling the slim build. Should improve batter life too. Its clocked @ 1.4GHz but thats plenty for the usage.

Flipkart has mentioned the weight as 2.49kg for that model whereas the site says the weight starts from 1.8k. The one in flipkart has a HD7450M. So that might add to the weight and the price too. Wait for a model without the GPU or source it locally to get the least weight and price.

IdeaPad S400 - Sleek and Affordable Laptop from Lenovo (US)

Back