Suggest a phone for my friend within 3.8k

krishnandu

Skilled
Hi friends, One of my good friend want to buy a phone within tomorrow. His budget is 3.8k. His requirement is just GPRS. Anything else than that will be a plus to him. He just want to have net on PC. Thats all. No brand preference....you can suggest from Nokia, Samsung to Maxx, Micromax, Fly etc. anything.

At that price, he can get the Nokia 2700c or even the slightly costlier 2730 (has 3G capability upto 384kbps). 2700c has EDGE which is faster than normal GPRS, so your friend should find that good. If a cam is no big deal, go for the Nokia 2690, it also has EDGE , 8GB expandable memory, VGA cam... retalis for around 2.8 K.

Ok thanks. I suggested him Samsung Metro S3310 instead of Nokia 2700c and Nokia 2730c as 3G is not a factor. And screen quality is much better than both. Ok...thanks for Nokia 2690. I think this would be best deal for him, as cam is really not a factor and he just wants to connect net on PC. He've Kodak DigiCam.

hey tell your friend to search for micromax gravity series x-600

dark_nemesis on TE has this phone and i have personally seen this phone

he will also be writing a review soon

you should definately shortlist this phone

swastikrj said:
hey tell your friend to search for micromax gravity series x-600

dark_nemesis on TE has this phone and i have personally seen this phone

he will also be writing a review soon

you should definately shortlist this phone

Wow..!! But he doesn't like touch screen. :(

garamdealsindia said:
i also say nokia 2730. you can get for Rs. 4038 from flipkart including shipping Nokia 2730 Classic: Price, Features & Reviews (Black): Cdma Nokia 2730 | Flipkart. also check your local market to see if u can get a better price maybe within your 3.8k budget
I don't know why you people are recommending Nokia 2730c. He just wants GPRS that will be all. He'll never use that 3G in 2730c.

krishnandu said:
I don't know why you people are recommending Nokia 2730c. He just wants GPRS that will be all. He'll never use that 3G in 2730c.

We all want you to suggest FUTURE PROOF device to your friend, ignore all 3G suggestions if he is frequent handset changer :), but if he wanted it to use for 3-4 yrs 3G will be added advantage for him.

HTH

Emperor said:
We all want you to suggest FUTURE PROOF device to your friend, ignore all 3G suggestions if he is frequent handset changer :), but if he wanted it to use for 3-4 yrs 3G will be added advantage for him.

HTH
Thanks...But I've this phone. But what's the use of 3G in 2730c?? It has only 384kbps and doesn't support video calling..!! Keypad is really hard....my fingers started paining after posting a thread on TE Mobile using my Nokia 2730c

krishnandu said:
Thanks...But I've this phone. But what's the use of 3G in 2730c?? It has only 384kbps and doesn't support video calling..!! Keypad is really hard....my fingers started paining after posting a thread on TE Mobile using my Nokia 2730c
Ohh.. really.... I was not aware this fact... Thanks

Samsung S3310 Metro may be a good phone, as one of Service center guy in my city suggest every one to buy this who want decent performance phone.

:)

Please do me a PM if your frn buy same.

Ya...I suggested that too...My cousin bought it(Samsung Metro S3310) same day I bought Nokia 2730c. And after some days I started regretting why I didn't bought that...!! The screen is really nice....Camera, Music is much better than Nokia 2730c.

I suggested my friend to bought the same. But don't know what came to his mind and he bought Nokia 7210 Supernova yesterday..!!

krishnandu said:
he bought Nokia 7210 Supernova yesterday..!!

It's really a good & tough phone, how much for?

May be because of

Nokia 7210 Supernova
Phonebook 2000 entries, Photocall
GPRS Class 32
EDGE Class 32

Samsung S3310
1000 contacts, Photocall
GPRS Class 12 (4+1/3+2/2+3/1+4 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
EDGE Class 12

Hehhehhe..!! I don't have writing skill..!! But between Nokia 2730c, 2710 Supernova and Samsung Metro S3310, I can say that Samsung Metro S3310 is the best one can get in that budget. If someone want 3G and futureproof he/she may think of looking at Nokia 2730c, But I'd say not to go for it, the 3G in 2730c is just 384kbps and no support for video calling, then what is the use of getting a 3G phone?? If someone is really looking at 3G Handset I'd suggest to up his/her budget and get a better phone.

I can mention the pros and cons of the phone I've seen:

Nokia 2730c :

1. Keypad is very hard. Fingers starts paining after entering two or three letters. Absolutely not for SMS Junkies or if someone is looking for browsing on phone.

2. Screen quality is not so good.

3. No Music keys / Volume keys on side. One have to operate manually from Music Player.

4. Loudspeaker is not placed strategically. You need to guard the speakers with your hand to get louder sound.

5. Supports photocall but the photo appears very tiny, so no one can recognize that. :)

6. Headphones are like the normal ones, not the headphones that generally come with phone. So using the headphone(for talking) on croud area is tough as the mic would come near to someones chest.

7. Memory Card support upto 2GB only and comes with 1GB.

Samsung Metro S3310 :

1. Screen quality is better than other two.

2. Loudspeaker is better than other two.

3. Accessing menu's are difficult than Nokia ones.

4. I found it best among other two.

5 Memory card support upto 8GB and comes with 2GB.

Nokia 7120 Supernova :

1. Keypad is good comparing to 2730c.

2. Screen size is so small.

3. Using application would be tough as of Lower RAM.

4. Loudspeaker is not so good, but Supernova comes with a dock, on placing the mobile to the dock makes the sound really good. So using the loudspeaker of public places would not make any sense.

5. Memory Card support same as 2730c.

Only Supernova comes with a data cable but doesn't make any sense as it's mere 2inch in length.

All the phones have 3.5mm audio jack(Not sure about supernova)

I found Bluetooth on Nokia better than Samsung.

Well...I must add that I've just written what my experience is. So it should be taken as comments rather than review. :)

As all the phones are on around same budget, taking all the pros and cons into account, I'd recommend Samsung Metro S3310.

Very good try krishnandu,

how if you can make new thread with title "Short Review- Nokia 2730c, Nokia 7120 & Samsung S3310"

Now days MP3 sound quality is must for every handset (w/o head phone) so shade little more light over it with 3 model.

will be very useful for buyers & visitors :hap2: :)

Thanks Emperor...!! As I said my writing skill is really bad and my english too..!! I just manage somehow..!! So don't know writing a review would be a good idea or not.

But as you asked I must say sound of loudspeaker is better in Samsung Metro S3310 than other two. The problem in Nokia 2730c is the speaker is on lower backside. If you don't cover the area of speaker with hand you'll not get louder sound and the sound won't be audible in public places. And same in Supernova. But supernova comes with a dock, if you place the mobile on dock then the sound becomes louder, but this is not the ultimate solution as no one would carry the dock while roaming around. So both Supernova and 2730c is not feasible. And one more problem with Nokia 2730c speakers, the problem is ringtone gets played from the speaker, so as the speaker is in lower back side of phone, you can't hear the ringtone if the phone is in your pocket as the sound gets guarded. So if you're not using vibration, you are bound to miss calls while travelling, walking on road, even if you're sitting on mall. You can only hear the ringtone if everything is calm and quite around you. You won't believe but you won't even hear the ringtone if you place the phone on a book and you are sitting on next room. I'm not saying that the sound is bad but speaker on lower back side makes everything faulty..!!

Back