Budget 15-20K Suggest a phone - Sony Xperia L vs Huawei G700 vs Lenovo P780

hotshot05

Skilled
Use - NO gaming; reading the news; reading PDF's(sometimes); a bit of web browsing; a bit of WhatsApp; Call clarity should be good; 2.5 hrs of Music everyday; Battery should last throughout the day since I will be in office; I use 3G data

The phones that I have shortlisted are -
Huawei Ascend G700 - 16k
http://www.flipkart.com/huawei-ascend-g700/p/itmdq2u6p77nkw7u
Pros - 8GB internal memory; 2GB RAM; 2150 mAh battery; Dual SIM
Cons - Unknown brand in smartphones (in India).

Lenovo P780 - 17.6k
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-p780/p/itmdq8z5z49cwtgx
Pros - Huge battery(4000mAh); Dual SIM
Cons - Some people complain that there is screen flickering and muffled sound during call; heavy

Sony Xperia L - 16k
Pros - Among the 3, only one which is made by a reputed manufacturer; handy 4.3inch screen; 8GB internal memory
Cons - No dual SIM option; small battery(1750 mAh)

Among these, the 2GB RAM of the Huawei G700 is very enticing. I do not know if the future versions of Android will up the minimum requirements but that 2GB RAM will make it future safe. Also the battery size is perfect.
Do not have any idea regarding the customer support service of Huawei in India. Their data cards are quite renowned worldwide. Does anyone here know about the after sales support of Huawei(with respect to smartphones)?

Both the Huawei and Lenovo have 5 inch screens. I have still not held a phone which has a 5 inch screen. But since I do not have monster sized palms, one handed operation may not be possible. But since screen size is big, less strain on my eyes.

Xperia L has no dual SIM option and has a very small capacity battery. Otherwise it has the perfect specs and perfectly sized screen(not too big, not too small). Not to mention the intelligent position of the screen lock/power button.

I was also considering the LG L9 since it is very light and has a high capacity battery. But 16k for outdated hardware(4GB internal memory) seems too much.

Presently I am using an LG Optimus One P500(3.2 inch screen).
Would have had loved to get a phone with a screen size of 4.5 inch, Dual SIM and good battery life.

Last edited:
Finally got P780 @ 16.5k. Waiting for the TPU case now.
Battery life is >2days on 50.% charge :D.

And I got a stability firmware update as soon as I turned the wifi on.

Did you buy from a brick n mortar shop?
Most of the online shop are selling it for 17k-18k.

@Doc Holliday Great then.
When you are talking on the phone, is the phone speaker good enough? Or do you to have to turn up the volume to max and press it as close as possible to your ear to hear the other person?

Got it from a dealer from eBay. He has already sold > 80pcs of the same piece on eBay and deals with only Lenovo phones.
I got the 8GB version, I've been using it for the past 2 days no issues till now, I'll let you know as soon as I find any.

Did you buy from a brick n mortar shop?
Most of the online shop are selling it for 17k-18k.

@Doc Holliday Great then.
When you are talking on the phone, is the phone speaker good enough? Or do you to have to turn up the volume to max and press it as close as possible to your ear to hear the other person?
Phone speaker is good enough. I don't have any problem listening to the calling party.

Got it from a dealer from eBay. He has already sold > 80pcs of the same piece on eBay and deals with only Lenovo phones.
I got the 8GB version, I've been using it for the past 2 days no issues till now, I'll let you know as soon as I find any.
Is he providing a VAT paid bill and manufacturer warranty? Or only seller warranty?

Can you provide a link for his listing?

Last edited:
A request, all those who get this phone please try and create interest in its development on XDA. CM for P780 will be awesome.
So true on the battery life, after full charge I installed updated >15 apps on it, and played some city builder game on it for 3 hrs straight, Wifi On, and 2 sims with 1 sim having a really bad coverage, still after 12hrs in the morning it showed 92% remaining.

A request, all those who get this phone please try and create interest in its development on XDA. CM for P780 will be awesome.
So true on the battery life, after full charge I installed updated >15 apps on it, and played some city builder game on it for 3 hrs straight, Wifi On, and 2 sims with 1 sim having a really bad coverage, still after 12hrs in the morning it showed 92% remaining.

look up the lenovop780 russian site : hint : google translate, hint : check out roms!

I personally dont really trust Chinese or Russian ROMs. Chinese ROMs have been reported to carry trojans embedded within them(Monkee OS).

Rooting & flashing a ROM is a very tedious process, translating from these websites will be a PITA.

BTW, I just got a review from my dad that the call quality was extremely fine and he came from using BB 8520 and Samsung Galaxy Y Pro 5512. So, the bad call quality is not a concern anymore.

with rest of the hardware pretty much the same, should one go for double the battery or double RAM?

G700: Double RAM than P780, Extra sensor (Compass)
P780: Double battery than G700
Depends on your needs really. The first android phone I used was an HTC Desire HD and it was awesome for its times, but it meant carrying two bulges in the pocket - one the phone, the other the charger!
For me battery is all important, so I went for the P780. I hate leaving my phone to charge at every opportunity I see a charging point!

The one and only problem I have faced is that I don't get the call summary after making a call/sending an SMS on prepaid cards. For postpaid users, it should not matter, I think. Even I have got used to this "drawback" actually. I think the pros heavily outweigh this cons.

Somone on the Lenovo forums recommended installing "USSD to Notification" app from the Play store. And since doing that the notifications come, neatly tucked away in a non-intrusive manner. I think that is a nifty app which both does away with the bug and also puts the USSD notifications away from being a hindrance. The normal USSD generated by you are not affected, like the ones using *111# etc to know balance and other stuff.

@aman.pitbull ---> Even i got an update of 7 or 8 mb which in a flow i rejected. Now when i am clicking on the available software updates, it says i am up to date. How to get that update which i messed with and missed.
What i am sure is i didn't update the received one when i switched on my mobile.

Back