Suggest a powerful beefy cpu wifi router upto 5k

By powerful i mean a beefy cpu not the wifi signal part. Want to use the built in pptp or openvpn server in it(most routers these days above 2k come with one),5-6 clients will be connected to it at any given time. Yes i can use pfsense or something like mikrotik but both have complex interfaces which the intended user will not be able to fix without my or a experienced persons help. Thus a simple interface (tp-link,netgear,dd-wrt,asus types) router. Lot of routers in the 2.5k range support all the above things but i doubt their ability to handle more than 2 simultaneous connections smoothly.

currently considering the ax1500 from tplink

Last edited:
The AX1500 costs more than 5K !. I am assuming your budget is abit flexible. With the AX you are spending on wifi too.
Considering the following conditions
1. Power CPU (Recommended for OpenVPN)
2. Giga Router (1000Mbps)
3. Cheaper budget
4. Have another/old router or accesspoint for wifi
5. Ease of use with simple interface (Support OpenWRT)
Given the above conditions and most weight for powerful CPU for VPN. I would suggest going in for an OpenWRT supported router. OpenWRT on a Raspberry Pi 4 along with a smart switch which supports VLANs. You will not get wifi but instead a very powerful and VPN worthy CPU. Budget will also be more than 5K, but still a very big bang for your rupee. Additionally the frequent updates and security from using OpenWRT.
With additional skills you can build your own custom OpenWRT firmware with (pre)configured VPN and other settings, this allows a novice user to simply reset the router to restore default and pre-configured settings. The settings can also be easily backed-up and restored, but a custom firmware image is required to pre-install additional packages like OpenVPN. Do give it a try, cause once you master it, you will be able to configure network like a pro and (maybe) probably never use oem firmware again. The OpenWRT **image-builder** makes it much easier to configure your own custom firmware.
I also noticed your comments on the pihole thread. You can get pihole functionality (ad-blocking for entire network) using the **adblock** package for OpenWRT.

Last edited:
The AX1500 costs more than 5K !. I am assuming your budget is abit flexible. With the AX you are spending on wifi too.
Considering the following conditions
1. Power CPU (Recommended for OpenVPN)
2. Giga Router (1000Mbps)
3. Cheaper budget
4. Have another/old router or accesspoint for wifi
5. Ease of use with simple interface (Support OpenWRT)
Given the above conditions and most weight for powerful CPU for VPN. I would suggest going in for an OpenWRT supported router. OpenWRT on a Raspberry Pi 4 along with a smart switch which supports VLANs. You will not get wifi but instead a very powerful and VPN worthy CPU. Budget will also be more than 5K, but still a very big bang for your rupee. Additionally the frequent updates and security from using OpenWRT.
With additional skills you can build your own custom OpenWRT firmware with (pre)configured VPN and other settings, this allows a novice user to simply reset the router to restore default and pre-configured settings. The settings can also be easily backed-up and restored, but a custom firmware image is required to pre-install additional packages like OpenVPN. Do give it a try, cause once you master it, you will be able to configure network like a pro and (maybe) probably never use oem firmware again. The OpenWRT **image-builder** makes it much easier to configure your own custom firmware.
I also noticed your comments on the pihole thread. You can get pihole functionality (ad-blocking for entire network) using the **adblock** package for OpenWRT.
openwrt is a nogo for the same reason pfsense,mikrotik is not feasible. need very simple gui interface for settigns that can be handled by most isp tech's. adding the layer of raspberry pi on top of it and ohboy it will be fun to see. Need a normal commerical/enterprise router.we already have a wifi ap.

openwrt is a nogo for the same reason pfsense,mikrotik is not feasible. need very simple gui interface for settigns that can be handled by most isp tech's. adding the layer of raspberry pi on top of it and ohboy it will be fun to see. Need a normal commerical/enterprise router.we already have a wifi ap.
If you are looking for commercial solution, take a look at https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08MH4VLR3...olid=1TM37FIX1406H&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Works extra well (easy-config) if you go down the Omada rabbit hole. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn/
Somewhat like Ubiquiti but cheaper... Certainly Ubiquiti is costlier but you get superior build quality too. True enterprise/isp grade equipment with PoE facility.

Last edited:
If you are looking for commercial solution, take a look at https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08MH4VLR3...olid=1TM37FIX1406H&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Works extra well (easy-config) if you go down the Omada rabbit hole. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn/
Somewhat like Ubiquiti but cheaper... Certainly Ubiquiti is costlier but you get superior build quality too. True enterprise/isp grade equipment with PoE facility.
ah yes the TL-605 seems to be what i want.

got the TL-605, amazon price is 1.5x of that what is availble offline idk why. i got mine for 4.5k amazon was listing almost 7k at the time. omada software is good but most features of omada are now in standalone gui only(except for openvpn) so yeah gets the job done.Openvpn speeds are split tunnel though and not a full tunnel.which reduces speed. if wanting a very basic interface werent an issue i would go the pfsense,opensense,openwrt,mikrotik route only for pure vpn speeds. Everything else is the almost the same,routing,nat, firewall etc.could use more nat options though like pfsense provides.

Back