Suggest a Split AC for my bedroom/home office (15x12 feet)

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
We already have a 1.5 ton AC for my parents bedroom.
Need something for mine, I work from home and even though direct sunlight does not enter, the room gets hot. Especially during gaming breaks.
The AC should be enough for a master bedroom as well, as it will be repurposed when I get married in 3-4 years.
Brands with reputed service are desirable. We recently bought LG refrigerator and washing machine, and support was good.

We already have a 1.5 ton AC for my parents bedroom.
Need something for mine, I work from home and even though direct sunlight does not enter, the room gets hot. Especially during gaming breaks.
The AC should be enough for a master bedroom as well, as it will be repurposed when I get married in 3-4 years.
Brands with reputed service are desirable. We recently bought LG refrigerator and washing machine, and support was good.
me to in same room condition's :p

I have a 15yr old AC and a brand 1.5T 5 start 2022 model new inverter AC from LG.

Inverter ACs take much longer to cool the room. These guys are basically handicapped to save electricity. You wont feel the same *chill* that you feel from older ACs.
But they provide 80% of the cooling for 20% of the price. So in that way they're great.

Few things I learnt in research. in 40% mode, these take around 300-400 watt.
Which is insane and near cooler territory. LG AC shows actual room temp on remote (very handy). And once you reach 26, you can keep it at 40% and just sleep.

Get AC with 5 year PCB warranty. Assume that PCB will burn off soon after that and cost is around 5-10k each for indoor and outdoor.

ALL said and done, I will replace the old one with a new inverter AC cause the bills are insane and we are being charged average 12rs per unit.

Essential Info -
1) Get an AC thats above your requirement. IF you need 1 ton, get 1.5 ton. Else you will have to wait 2hrs for room to cool down.
2) Run on 100% or 110% (lg) for 1 hour, shift to 40%, enjoy the night.
3) Make sure room is airsealed. if its directly exposed to sunlight, #1 is not optional, or you'll have no satisfaction.
4) Service it regularly.
5) Get stabalizer if your input voltage is not stable.

Inverter ACs take much longer to cool the room. These guys are basically handicapped to save electricity. You wont feel the same *chill* that you feel from older ACs.
Not true. When inverter AC is running at 100% and assuming the cooling power is the same as fixed speed AC. There will be no difference in how long they will take.

Inverter AC can run at 110 to 120% for a short duration depending on the brand while a fixed speed AC compressor can never go past 100%.

If some one feels the inverter AC is taking longer to cool make sure its cooling kw is the same as the older one. Secondly the indoor unit air flow and throw should be comparable.

Lg and samsung and many other brands are at the bottom when it comes to air throw and air flow.

Hitachi, daikin, Mitsubishi(especially) all have vastly higher airflow.
A 1ton indoor unit of Mitsubishi can out throw a 1.5 to 1.8 ton Lg indoor unit.

But then again one has to look at broader picture such as after sales service where Mitsubishi and hitachi have poorer network compared to say Lg.

Not true. When inverter AC is running at 100% and assuming the cooling power is the same as fixed speed AC. There will be no difference in how long they will take.

Inverter AC can run at 110 to 120% for a short duration depending on the brand while a fixed speed AC compressor can never go past 100%.

If some one feels the inverter AC is taking longer to cool make sure its cooling kw is the same as the older one. Secondly the indoor unit air flow and throw should be comparable.

Lg and samsung and many other brands are at the bottom when it comes to air throw and air flow.

Hitachi, daikin, Mitsubishi(especially) all have vastly higher airflow.
A 1ton indoor unit of Mitsubishi can out throw a 1.5 to 1.8 ton Lg indoor unit.

But then again one has to look at broader picture such as after sales service where Mitsubishi and hitachi have poorer network compared to say Lg.
Air throw means nothing, when the cooling capacity is the issue.
The LG ac in question has pretty good air throw and 4 way swing to add to that.
Inverter ACs don't match my 15 yr old AC, which itself will have issues by now related to drop in cooling capacity. So compared to a mid brand 15 yr old not that great AC, these cant measure up to the cooling capacity.

At same capacity, fixed speed are much more faster to reach that chill feel.
Im literally using them 15 mins after each other each day and can compare. I made that point cause thats the reason why I highly suggest to upsize so you can enjoy good cooling and also electricity savings. Dont want to argue over which one is better, cause I can literally see it everyday. The idea that both will be the same is something that has been popularized by review videos.
Im using in 110% mode for first hour everyday.

If budget isn't a problem then stick with Mitsubishi Heavy. I have not yet experienced any AC which cools as efficiently as they do. I have not tried General though. Or you can go for Daikin too, heard they are good, myself planning to get one but slightly out of my budget. Just stick with those three brands mentioned in second post and don't be swayed by the misinformation that's been posted here.

In my experience, Carrier has been pretty solid. I got 3 of them fitted in my house and haven't had any issues in the last 4 years. One more thing, no matter what brand you chose, prioritise choosing 5-star rating ones only. The savings on electricity bills is fairly noticeable.

Really appreciate all the replies.
Does anyone have first hand experience with Voltas, Blue Star and Panasonic? About reliability and service

In my experience, Carrier has been pretty solid. I got 3 of them fitted in my house and haven't had any issues in the last 4 years. One more thing, no matter what brand you chose, prioritise choosing 5-star rating ones only. The savings on electricity bills is fairly noticeable.
just curious, how long did it take to recover the initial price difference from the amount saved?

One more thing, no matter what brand you chose, prioritise choosing 5-star rating ones only. The savings on electricity bills is fairly noticeable.
From what I've read, its not just the powersavings but also the materials used are the best that the brand uses. So basically its more durable too.

Back