Suggest a sub 10k big screen phone

raksrules

Elite
Please suggest a sub 10k big screen phone.
Will be used for net surfing so connectivity is priority.
Camera is not a priority.
Music and radio should be there.
My current phone is w800i so please suggest accordingly.

If you can lay your hands on the elusive Nokia 5230, grab it with both hands.

The 640x360 screen is great for surfing, esp using Opera Mobile (and even the default browser is not bad). Its got inbuilt GPS - its one of those things which you wonder how you got by without it before

(The poorer cousin Nokia 5233 looks prettier in white, but lacks 3G and GPS too - but 1k cheaper as well)

Stay away from the Corbys & the Stars - their resolution is very poor - and the touchscreen is of an inferior quality.

Slight increase of the budget (12.5k) would give you the Samsung i5700 Spica - heartily recommended because it has Android, AMOLED screen (lower res, but equally better looking), wifi (lacking in the Nokia) and a 3.2 MP camera

If you dont mind Windows Mobile 6.0, Acer has a low end model at 9.5k, and so does Asus. But the OS is really bad and you just CANT use it with fingers ...

there is Nokia 5230 for 8.5k. has every features of 5800XM except WLAN, and 2 MP cam instead of 3.2 MP. Also you wont get the 8GB free memory card and other accessories like that of 5800.

If surfing / music and radio are your only requirements , go for the 5233 , same screen and OS as 5230 , i got it for ~ 6.5k from ebay . Although if you need WLAN support , Samsung Star WiFi seems like the best bet .

Yes...surfing internet is something i hope to do a lot on the phone. Currently using w800i and still love the phone but the screen is too tiny winy for browsing. Also i am just finding a reason to buy a new phone but want to restrict my budget (self restrained). It has been 4 Looonnggg years :ashamed:
For music/radio i do have the sansa clip+ but in phone would be a good thing.
App support is something that will really be good and this being symbian i expect it.
GPS is something that i would love to have and moreover if you get it in better price point then why not.
WLAN would have been on wishlist but i have absolutely no access of it anywhere so really worthless for me.
Samsung - Nah...i hate it :ashamed:
Only interested in offerings from Nokia or Sony Ericsson.

@Manu
I suppose you must have used coupon to buy the 5233 at 6.5k right ??
Just that non availability of 3G and GPS is a deal breaker for me for 5233, so i want to go for 5230 only.
I am trying to find a 10% or even better 15% coupon before i can get the 5230 off ebay.

Any one has any clue if it is still available in stores like Alfa or Indraprasth (Borivali, Mumbai) ??

get 5230 with 3G than getting the 2G 5233. Every operators will be soon starting 3G following BSNL and MTNL's lead. You won't regret that decision for sure if you are planning to use you phone for browsing and social networking.

@raks, i think the 5230 comes only with a pectrum stylus and not the pen one as far as i have read the reviews of it.

I am also planning to buy the same, but the lack of Wifi is holding me back. Apart from this it is better than any other phone in this range. And the audio quality is on the same level as the iPhone 3G, so its very very good phone.

Go for it if u don't need Wifi...Add to it, now the Ovi Maps are all free forever, so its the icing on the cake ;)

Back