Car & Bike Suggest Bike : Max. 1L

Well your height is just one of the factors.. I myself am 6'3 but apart from that.. what matters are the following

1. Daily running (total distance base & back)
2. Riding style
3. Previous riding experience
4. Riding conditions (city/highway mix & traffic %.. this is mostly an indicator of how much time you'll spend on the 1-3 gears and 3-5 gears etc)
5. Expected fuel economy (if it even matters)
6. Comfort & preference. (sportier bikes require greater fitness/agility and are not as comfortable as compared to tourers)

1) 10km
3) Tvs Fierro
4) City
5) 40km/L
6) Non-Sporty

so lets do a few eliminations. 10km total daily running is quite frankly, nothing. This indicates range & fuel tank capacity is not really gonna bother you. Just about all bikes will cater to the 10km use experience with ease.

Coming from a Fierro, there's gonna be quite a bit of difference when you upgrade to a newer bike. The refinement levels for what's available on the market today is much better than what the Fierro offered in those days.

40 Km/L should also not be too much of an issue in getting you a bike.. though with some of the premium offerings, this could actually be borderline with some models. The non-sporty would indicate a preference for a more neutral riding position & with the height factored in, your ideal choices should be preferably bikes with a slightly longer wheelbase & relaxed neutral handlebar positioning.

There are a lot of what you could consider, but i would consider these for sure

1. P220F - yes the P220 is due for a replacement soon & is quite long in the tooth. Also lags competition with no monoshock suspension etc. Still, this bike is as much for your short and quick runs as it is for easy cruising and relaxed mile crunching on 5th gear with smooth power delivery. Doesn't have a monoshock, but has good handling, the best headlight setup on any Indian bike & good size for tall riders. FE could be borderline averaging between 32/33 on the lower side to 40 on the higher side.
2. Yamaha Fazer : Another one that's a bit long in the tooth (Yamaha's n number of sticker job updates not withstanding).. but offers decent refinement, good size for tall riders, twin headlamp setup, monocross suspension & decent rideability for most needs. FE is better than the P220 but obviously is much lower on the power. It is however a decent allrounder with good comfort.
3. Honda's Unicorn/Dazzler are also options.. essentially similar except the Dazzler is slightly lower spec'd than the Unicorn's engine in terms of power. Honda's typical refinement levels are a given and usually are not too high on maintenance. The CBF stunner is really not to be bothered with for your uses.

All these are under 1Lakh and are worth a look on your shortlist

How is Royal Enfield ?

Different category altogether. The new models have much better build quality and engine refinement. There are quite a few upgrades overall to the bike and is a very good product.

But a few negatives....
1. price is over a lakh
2. delivery timelines vary.. some places have long waiting times
3. bike is most suited to touring, city riding can be extremely frustrating & tiring affair
4. FE is average
5. Maintenance can be an issue.

Good suggestions there, mach9.

@OP

I had a similar budget (a little flexible) when I was recently in the market for a new motorcycle.

The Fazer, R15, Duke 200, CBR150RR were top on my list. Preferred the International brands to the Indian ones this time round. Let's just say my previous motorcycle was easily worth forgetting and I was looking for a change in ownership experience.

The R15:
- Track focused, aggressive riding position :( , pillion seat :p, not ideal for daily city commutes (traffic)

The Duke 200:
- Couldn't acquaint myself with the looks and sound, short gear-ratios (Freq shifts), inherent problems from ownership reviews

The CBR150:
- Mixed reviews, very few on road, too expensive for what's on offer

Let's face it, these are great bikes but not what I was looking for in a motorcycle - which were:
150cc+, stylish, well-built, good quality parts, comfortable, good for long distances and daily city commutes

And that led to me owning the 2013 Yamaha Fazer and it was love at first sight. She is a great machine, has a strong presence and is a decent all-rounder :)
(On-road, all-inclusive price = 90K - Chennai)

Yes, it isn't as powerful as some of the options in this price range and yes the FE maxes out at around 45 Kmpl, but I was ready to accept these shortcomings. Not to mention the DNA it shares with the globally acclaimed Yamaha Fazer series motorcycles (like the Fazer 1000).

Oh and I did consider the Bullet as a one-off option but then dismissed it based on the few negatives mentioned above. It would have also been too big for my skinny ass. :p

I guess there aren't too many options in the 85-120K price range, so hopefully you will find the motorcycle you are after. Good luck!

Cheers,
TTM

Since it is basically a 10 km running daily i would recommend you an r15.

It is the most fun bike which would just seep in your budget and is a performance angel . The ride and glide of the bike is fantastic and will keep you having a nasty grin on your face.

Also it is the most stylish bike of the lot and even after so many years turns more than a few heads. The perfect blend of poser value and performance:pompus:

Good suggestions there, mach9.

@OP

I had a similar budget (a little flexible) when I was recently in the market for a new motorcycle.

The Fazer, R15, Duke 200, CBR150RR were top on my list. Preferred the International brands to the Indian ones this time round. Let's just say my previous motorcycle was easily worth forgetting and I was looking for a change in ownership experience.

The R15:
- Track focused, aggressive riding position :( , pillion seat :p, not ideal for daily city commutes (traffic)

The Duke 200:
- Couldn't acquaint myself with the looks and sound, short gear-ratios (Freq shifts), inherent problems from ownership reviews

The CBR150:
- Mixed reviews, very few on road, too expensive for what's on offer

Let's face it, these are great bikes but not what I was looking for in a motorcycle - which were:
150cc+, stylish, well-built, good quality parts, comfortable, good for long distances and daily city commutes

And that led to me owning the 2013 Yamaha Fazer and it was love at first sight. She is a great machine, has a strong presence and is a decent all-rounder :)
(On-road, all-inclusive price = 90K - Chennai)

Yes, it isn't as powerful as some of the options in this price range and yes the FE maxes out at around 45 Kmpl, but I was ready to accept these shortcomings. Not to mention the DNA it shares with the globally acclaimed Yamaha Fazer series motorcycles (like the Fazer 1000).

Oh and I did consider the Bullet as a one-off option but then dismissed it based on the few negatives mentioned above. It would have also been too big for my skinny ass. :p

I guess there aren't too many options in the 85-120K price range, so hopefully you will find the motorcycle you are after. Good luck!

Cheers,
TTM

A well researched and thought out decision. The Yamaha Fazer is a very capable decent allrounder. The only major drawback is the slightly uncomfortable rear seat which is shared with the FZ.

That aside, it's otherwise a good buy, and it's why i shortlisted it as one of the best blends along with the P220F for him.

I myself will move up from my current P200 sometime this year or early next.. I'm just trying to time the market ;)

So already the R15/Duke200/P200 (new) are out of my book because at 6'3 they are not exactly comfortable for me nor is the riding dynamics fun for me. My shortlist is on the higher end CB250R/Ninja250/300 and maybe the Duke 390 (if the comfort and size is ok)

For his requirements the Duke 200/R15/CBR150/P200 (new) don't make perfect sense.. and they're all above 1L

The price has gone up significantly it seems . I think the fazer should suffice but the handling of the r15 is just too good to miss.
@ op - dude if you can bump up your budget , get the r15 hands down.

I will buy from CSD.
I get a discount of around 8-10k & also can increase the budget by max 5-6k
I love R15 but as I am 29 years old, which one will look better R15 or Enfiled ??

Its 1.31L OTR Mumbai. I got it in last november at 1.28L OTR
^ how much is the r15 on road now?
I remember getting it at around 1.15 around 4 years back.

Forget the R15 v2.0 and Duke for the 6th point you mentioned.
1) 10km
3) Tvs Fierro
4) City
5) 40km/L
6) Non-Sporty

And as vantheman has said repeatedly, no other bike in this price range can match the handling of r15. Mounting on the bike as a pillion is bit tough, but believe me I have got all positive comments when the bike is moving, the pillion too feels planted and glued to the seat even when the bike is doing 110kmph

You can consider CBR150r, the honda engine in this little monster is simply astounding. Its a DOHC mill unlike the R15's SOHC one. You will have to sacrifice the pass light and engine kill switch (I dont think its a big issue). Pillion comfort is 100% as its a tourer. The seating is lot less aggressive when compared to duke and r15.

Both the above mentioned bikes are bit underpowered when it comes to a ride with pillion onboard.
In this area the duke 200 beats them both. A superb bike with all the fun element.

So If you arent a mad rider, then CBR150r .. If you want to have fun while riding R15 or Duke. BUt if you are matured man ;-) then go for enfield.

I will buy from CSD.
I get a discount of around 8-10k & also can increase the budget by max 5-6k
I love R15 but as I am 29 years old, which one will look better R15 or Enfiled ??

Dude.. seriously man.. does that even make sense? They're both different bikes.. different categories.. how can you possibly even compare anything between them. Let alone looks?? They're built for completely different purposes and therefore by virtue of their design they can't possibly compared at all

Looks are personal preference. Buy whatever you like if it's looks that interests you no point comparing

Which enfield are you talking about brother? I personally do love the looks of the new thunderbird , but the sporty look of the R15 is very nice as well. The update v 2 is a lot better than the v1 and the pillion seat is better too i feel. It compliments the slant stance of the R15.

@mach9 different people have different kicks brother. You gotta respect that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which enfield are you talking about brother? I personally do love the looks of the new thunderbird , but the sporty look of the R15 is very nice as well. The update v 2 is a lot better than the v1 and the pillion seat is better too i feel. It compliments the slant stance of the R15.

@mach9 different people have different kicks brother. You gotta respect that.

where's the lack of respect? All i'm saying is, it's illogical to compare looks of the Enfield v/s an R15.. if they were the same category, a comparison would make sense. Anyways, whatever! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ what i meant was , you trying to down him on the criticism of comparison between r15 and the enfield isn't as illogical as you say . You will get 1 guy out of 10 who would basically tell you that the RE is a touring machine . For the normal public, both are 2 bikes within their budget and many people have this dilemma.

Does anyone here own or have an experience with Suzuki GS150R....?
Seen many reviews and people says its better(smooth engine) than Unicorn and also comes with 6 gears, but very less service centers..
I am seriously considering to buy(costs 76K) it...

I am 5'9 feet. and previously considered Unicorn or Hunk.
Presently own a P150.

My friend has it, and I have taken a ride couple of times. The engine is smooth similar to the unicorns engine. Spares and A.S.S of suzuki at present is not that good. Due to this reason, I wont suggest anything ;) I mean whether you should go ahead with the purchase or no. If you can spend more then P200NS is definitely the one you should look for.
Does anyone here own or have an experience with Suzuki GS150R....?
Seen many reviews and people says its better(smooth engine) than Unicorn and also comes with 6 gears, but very less service centers..
I am seriously considering to buy(costs 76K) it...

I am 5'9 feet. and previously considered Unicorn or Hunk.
Presently own a P150.

Back