Audio Suggest closed headphones+mp3 player for 50k budget

Why no IEMs? He can get more than a decent sounding IEMs among universals or even budget level customs along with a decent player?

The Dx100 is priced at 829$ iBasso
Denon D5000 should be around 400-500$ add to that 100$ for the jmoney pads.

To be honest I really like the Sflo2 -> Lo -> Fiio E17 -> Hd25-1 II as a portable rig. I have the Sflo2 tied with rubber bands with the E17 like a brick. The bass kicks a$.

Impressions of Unamped Highend headphones will be tough to find, cause after spending so much on the HP its only natural that one spends on Amp/DAC.
That being said , you can ask the first hand impressions of members here,

I have ATH-W5000, but i cant seem to find 1/4">>1/8" adapter, ill post impressions of W5000 driven out of sony walkman , when i find the adapter.
Benny can tell you how M50 and D5000 sound unamped ( is it worth spending on , for unamped use ) . ampretty sure the Sennheiser HD25 is not good unamped .

remember W5000 , AD900, AD2000, D5000, D7000 are HUGE headphones , not practical for portable use. almost impossible to carry in laptop bags. you will have to get specific bag for then if you want to carry them
M50 , Ultrasone signature pro, (and ultrasone pro series ) are much better for portable use cause they have fold-able design

Except for the M50 and the Hd25-1 II, none of the headphones mentioned are portable.

Unamped the m50 sounds just about right with the sflo2. I don't think the iphone or any other phone or an ipod can drive it as good as the sflo2. Amped, they would sound much more fuller and precise. Same for the d5000, unamped, it may sound loud at high volumes but doesn't sound full. Unamped D5k is in no way the right way to listen to this headphone. It is a waste of something really good, something which is meant to be cherished with a decent dac/amp.

Impressions of Unamped Highend headphones will be tough to find, cause after spending so much on the HP its only natural that one spends on Amp/DAC.
That being said , you can ask the first hand impressions of members here,

I have ATH-W5000, but i cant seem to find 1/4">>1/8" adapter, ill post impressions of W5000 driven out of sony walkman , when i find the adapter.
Benny can tell you how M50 and D5000 sound unamped ( is it worth spending on , for unamped use ) . ampretty sure the Sennheiser HD25 is not good unamped .

remember W5000 , AD900, AD2000, D5000, D7000 are HUGE headphones , not practical for portable use. almost impossible to carry in laptop bags. you will have to get specific bag for then if you want to carry them
M50 , Ultrasone signature pro, (and ultrasone pro series ) are much better for portable use cause they have fold-able design

Except for the M50 and the Hd25-1 II, none of the headphones mentioned are portable.

Unamped the m50 sounds just about right with the sflo2. I don't think the iphone or any other phone or an ipod can drive it as good as the sflo2. Amped, they would sound much more fuller and precise. Same for the d5000, unamped, it may sound loud at high volumes but doesn't sound full. Unamped D5k is in no way the right way to listen to this headphone. It is a waste of something really good, something which is meant to be cherished with a decent dac/amp.

Thanks for your impressions, i cant convince him to use an amp, so the best setup in that case should be ath M50+sansa fuze plus/any cowon player: Cowon MP3 Players India: Cowon Video MP3 Players: Cowon Portable Audio Players: Flipkart.com

ultrasone pro series ( the pro900 and 2900 ) are foldable, just like the M50 .
signature pro are like grado sr series ( can be flattened ) , so they can be kept in a bag without problems.

I wont recommend Sflo to someone who has not experienced similar DAP before. High charge time , low play hours, buggy interface, etc.
Same for DX100 But cause it has android , the interface will be a lot better , also has high gain in internal amp , so pretty good choice for OP.

OP can consider DX100 > M50 , and upgrade headphone when he can .

Sony MDR Z1000 + Sony Z1000 PMP
Beyerdynamic DT1350 + Touch/Sony Z
For PMPs avoid korea/china. Their UI is like a maze that too inconsistant.

The sony Z1000 are rubbish!! I wouldn't spend half the price. The DT1350 sound really bright if you don't get a proper seal and neither did I, nor did the people on head-fi cuz i've heard them complain about the lack of bass cause of the lack of seal cuz of the on-ear design. The HD25-1 II are much better than both. They've been around for the longest time(not that it matters) and they are also considered as one of the best DJ headphones in the world. Heck i've seen Afrojack, BT, Sebastian Ingrosso and so many other dj's using them for their live gigs. They are comfy and durable. They sit firmly on the head, they don't fall off, they are not heavy, and most importantly club music sounds Amazing!!!

I may be a bit biased cuz i'm using them right now, so take my recommendation with a pinch of salt. :)

i am not much of a audiophile,
i recently purchased Audio technica ATH-A700X closed back dynamic with 38ohm impedance,so they do not need any amp.they fulfill my need for music,games and movies.
but they are HUGE.comfortable enough to wear for 6-8 hours.
as your budget is a way high than mine,you can also consider ATH-A900X.

for MP3 player, you can get a COWON Z2.
or an apple ipod touch.

as far as i know,MP3 players support headphones with low impedance like 32Ohms.
getting an in ear is better option if you are considering long mobility periods.

Back