Laptops Suggest Lappy plz

lounge

Disciple
want to buy a laptop. this is crazy... :rolleyes:

i will take a loan for either 30k or 45k..

now plz suggest me one good lappy under 30 and one around 45k..

this will be my first lap top purchase, so no idea about lappies.. :)

plz mention the company and current price and model if possible :clap:

thank u in advance... :)

just got Compaq 3029AU ..and it rulez!! :D ..includes AMD Turion dual core 1.8 Ghz, 14.1" wide-screen, DvD-Writer 16x, Nvidia 6150 graphics, bluetooth, WiFi, Card reader, bla bla.. at the steal-price of 45 Grands..
the main short-comin being lack of Software inclusion.. comes with a FreeDos so all s/ws from OS to system tweakers (even the drivers! :( ) have to be loaded by the customer himself.. tho no complains abt the performance! ;)

Dell InspironTM 640M Notebook

Intel Core Duo Processor T2050 (2MB Cache, 1.60GHz. 533MHz FSB)

Windows XP Home Edition

14.1" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display (1280x800 res.)

Free upgrade to 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512MB)

around 45K

Compaq V5202 TU - 36,000 Rs

Celeron 410 - 1.46 Ghz

Intel GMA 950

512 Mb DDR 2

60 Gb Sata Hdd

8x Dvd Writer

15.4" WXGA BrightView TFT

Modem/ Lan / Wifi

Compaq V5201 TU - 32,000 Rs

Celeron 410 - 1.46 Ghz

Intel GMA 950

256 Mb DDR 2

40 Gb Sata Hdd

24x Dvd Combo

15.4" WXGA BrightView TFT

Modem/ Lan / Wifi

Compaq M2512 AU - 32,000 Rs

Amd Sempron 3000+

ATI Radeon 200 M Graphic Card

256 Mb DDR Ram

24x Dvd Combo

15" XGA TFT

40 Gb IDE HDD

Modem / Lan / Wifi

6 in 1 Digital Media Card Reader

Compaq V3035 TU - 53,000 Rs

Intel Core Duo Processor 1.73 Ghz

Intel GMA 950

512 Mb DDR 2

80 Gb Sata Hdd

8x Dvd Writer

14.1" WXGA BrightView TFT

Modem/ Lan / Wifi

5 in 1 Digital Media Card Reader

Win Xp

Compaq M2254 AU - 45,000 Rs

Amd Turion 64 Processor 1.8 Ghz

ATI Radeon 200 M Graphic Card

512 Mb DDR Ram

60 Gb Ide Hdd

8x Dvd Writer

15" XGA BrightView TFT

Modem/ Lan / Wifi

6 in 1 Digital Media Card Reader

Win Xp

Hope this helps.

i am inclined towards 17'' screen, cos of the work requirement.. is it foolish to buy bigger screen than 14''?

lol.. i like being foolish though.. suggest plz.

i like Josh's recomendation above.. Josh, is that model from Dell, available in 17'' as well? and where should i buy it from? i live in delhi.... :)

Josh said:
Dell InspironTM 640M Notebook
Intel Core Duo Processor T2050 (2MB Cache, 1.60GHz. 533MHz FSB)
Windows XP Home Edition
14.1" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display (1280x800 res.)
Free upgrade to 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512MB)

around 45K

all is fine above for me, except 17'' screen i would need.... is it available in same price?

I honestly think you should go in for a sub 15" laptop.

Believe me... I used to think 17" would be a better option... but it's just such a pain lugging it around especially if you're looking for portability. Get a 17".... only if you're using it purely as a desktop replacement.

The suggestions above would all be good choices.

Satan said:
I honestly think you should go in for a sub 15" laptop.

Believe me... I used to think 17" would be a better option... but it's just such a pain lugging it around especially if you're looking for portability. Get a 17".... only if you're using it purely as a desktop replacement.

The suggestions above would all be good choices.

Cool.. ur advice is usefull man.. but i am a webdeveloper, have to show presentations to clients... :) also i am working partly with Hindustan times as Copy editor.. so i would like to edit news on this lappy lying on the couch, or on the terrace :clap: i want a "buddy lappy"... though this shall be my first purchase of a lappy, so i am ignorant about the practical usage problems as u have mentioned, regarding 17''.. i have to think.. with heart :hap2: .. thnx

Josh n Satan.. a final word from u on screen.. i am confused. i know 14'' is ideal from what u guys have suggested above.. but will they suffice my news editing and web designing, presentation making needs?

or buying a 15.4'' wide should be good for such needs, by which the lappy becoming a bit big n bulky.. like DELL inspiron 6400 (i am planning to get)..

secondly, if something goes wrong, or if i need an upgrade, in DELL's case, i will have to send the lap top all the way back to Banglore and wait for good number of days till i get it back.. is it cumbersome? u r experienced i guess? i am new to this world :)..

just a final word from u..n here i go :) thnx

i have HP DV5000 which iis best for price with remote. u can googl that model no and get info abt it. i got in apr 06 for 55k directly from dealer

14" is good... but if you're really keen on a large display... I suggest you don;t go beyond 15.4". That's ok too... it's just that... it'll be a lil more than uncomfortable if you want to, like you said "edit news on this lappy lying on the couch, or on the terrace"

I suggest you go to a store where they have 14" models and 15.4" models on display... pick it up, feel the weight, move it around and try working with it in different angles.... then and only then should you purchase it.

Good luck with it

Oh and about the Dell thing... I'm not really sure how tehir after sales support is. Call them up before purchasing... they have toll free numbers listed on their website.

Here is a nice quote on a 17"er from a student at notebookreview.com ;)

I just recieved the laptop this morning and I realized the severity of my mistake.

I'm thinking now that I should have bought the 15 inch screen instead cause my 17 inch is too big. I'm a college student, how am I supposed to carry this thing around?! And it will be embarassing to bring this to class and lectures. I probably will have the largest laptop in the room. I might as well carry around a mini-desktop.

Anyway, as for my personal experience...

I have worked with 17", 15.4", 14.1", 13.3" , 12.1 " and 10.6" laptops

FOr me, the sweet spot (between portability, convenience and screen size ) was 12"

For most peeps it is 14"

BTW the reason why I found 12.1" as the sweet spot is exactly what you quoted:

so i would like to edit news on this lappy lying on the couch, or on the terrace i want a "buddy lappy"...

personally, I totally detest 17"ers..they are nowhere close to a buddy lappy ;) actually neither are 15.4"ers

Anyway, 14"ers are the best fit for your budget as anything smaller would get out of that budget...

But I'd sti;; say that you should get the smallest laptop you can get in your budget as from what you say, you want a laptop which is as portable as possible...

Do not worry about a small screen size, the high resolution on the small screens ensures that you do not lose out on any information....

And even for those rare ocasions when you really need a larger screen (like 5 friends watching a move together) you can always hook it up to an external monitor....

Remember, you can always upgrade to a monitor of your choice, but you cannot scale down the size and weight of your laptop

DELL ppl say that they give on site warranty (which is extendable for 3 years or more at any point of time).. their engineer comes at your place and this waranty includes labour and part charges as well.. but, has anyone used a DELL lappy? i wanna know hoz their after sale service?

Right now if i buy the lappy today, they will deliver the product after 15 days... cos it will be configured in malaysia and then it comes to banglore and then to respective places... :)..

Now, if i buy some other brand, i get it in an hour after purchase..:)

is DELL worth going for even after all such hassles? anyone experienced with DELL.. or plz tell me some safer option.. :)

is DELL worth going for even after all such hassles?

LOL, there are no hassles in ordering a Dell..

You configure on the net, and place your order over the net and then machine gets delivered to your home without you having to get outside your house

The only hassle in ordering a Dellis that agonizing 15 day wait :p

or plz tell me some safer option..

There is nothing unsafe about ordering online from Dell ;) really!

Their onsite warranty is pretty good, better than you having to carry over your laptop to the nearest Authorized service center

As for other options, you certainly do have Compaq, Acer and Lenovo to name a few, but currently the Dells seems to be the best VFM when it comes to the Core 2 Duos

superczar said:
(personally, I totally detest 17"ers..they are nowhere close to a buddy lappy ;) actually neither are 15.4"ers

right.. thumbs up to 14'' czar.. i also said that i may have to design websites, do lil editing and designing over it.. that made me think that a 15.4 wide screen shall give me bigger and hence better platform to do so..

i totally agree 14'' shall be that flexible machine (not disputing the portability of 12'') but here i have to toss between 15.4 wide and 14'' wide.. :clap:

Disclamer: i have never used a lappy for personal use and never owned one. this is my first :p i am an idiot when it comes to deciding... but i think a 15.4' bisects both the worlds of portability and bigger screens.. does it?

55k max i wanna spend... help :sos:

Seriously... go to a store and check it out. We can only suggest.... but you don't want to be stuck with something you might not end up liking or fitting your needs.

Like Czar... I've used pretty much every size of laptops there are... for me the sweet spot has been the 14's. I like the 12's... but a lil too small for me.

14 is good for most... irrespective of what kind of work you do. Besides... even if you're doing presentations, you're always going to have a projector around... if there isn't one, then the presentaion won't have more than 5 people around... and a 14" display is good for that. That extra 1.3" is not much in terms of viewing area... but it is a whole lot in terms of 'extra weight' and dimensions when it comes to carrying it around and general usability.

Most people like Dell's... personally I hate them... they look tacky... but like czar said... Best Value for Money especially in the Core Duo Series.

Satan said:
14 is good for most... irrespective of what kind of work you do. That extra 1.3" is not much in terms of viewing area... but it is a whole lot in terms of 'extra weight' and dimensions when it comes to carrying it around and general usability.

14" done :hap2:

Satan said:
Most people like Dell's... personally I hate them... they look tacky... but like czar said... Best Value for Money especially in the Core Duo Series.

DELL seems tacky.. right.. except that call center executive who talks to me over phone from Banglore.. back to the square one, Josh suggested me DELL 640M.. n i should get it :yahoo:

Back