Linux Suggest me a distro

if u find ubuntu windows-like then all distros with gnome shall feel similar to you. :)

on the other hand..

xandros is one distro which tries to come close to windows.

Thing is, Ubuntu has okay support for ATi drivers, I was using it earlier but switched to Fedora just for trying it out. Now after installation of CCC, it too has bombed on me so need a good decent distro which has no problem with ATi. I am using Ubuntu on my laptop so want something different for desktop. A great plus would be if its a stable x64 or x86_64 distro. I know Ubuntu is but nowadays for common people Ubuntu is becoming synonymous with Linux. Its a good thing but I want something different! $hit, this is making me sound like a Talent show retard judge.

Sure, try Fedora 11 KDE Live CD x84_64 ISO I have it (F12 beta actually) installed, its good! Fedora/Mandriva have the advantage of more up-to-date packages which Ubuntu sometimes lags behind...

I think u don't remember my last post, I told there too that Fedora 11 went kaput as soon as I installed CCC ver 9.7 Now I can repair it but would like to give a chance to some other distro as now I have a reason to do so ;)

i had issues with catalyst and fedora as well as mandriva.

but no issues with ubuntu whatsoever...

catalyst 9.6-9.7 had some issues.

try the latest version.

also...

what issue exactly do u face with ccc in ubuntu ?

Ati just works in Ubuntu but there are some real issue. Things went black many times and sometime he screen goes jagged up using compiz.

Nothing happened with MDV . I will say try Sabayon they have the latest stable release till date :)

Want to try something entirely new? Give GoboLinux a shot. I'll have to warn you, though, that much of what you know about Linux distros will not be applicable. Not so sure that the proprietary ATI drivers will work, though, considering the different filesystem structure.

Otherwise, you might want to try OpenSUSE. AFAIK, the ATI drivers will support it rather well.

^^yea so true. I installed 11.1 once, carrefully installed ATI drivers following each step from ATI wik and in next boot bang ! Even YAST couldn't recover it :|

I suggest you to try OpenSuSE which is not only stable in most part but also has a lot of Windows like feature. But don't expect a complete Windows environment in any Linux distribution. :)

I think i should first tell u all what distros I have used b4.

1. Open SUSE (Its was my first one ever and KDE got me pitching tent in my pants)
  2. Red Hat
  3. CentOS
  4. Ubuntu
  5. Fedora

Now I need something different yet sustainable on my system without much drivers problem. Issue is that I use my LCD TV as display and its native res of 1360x768 is not supported by many OS and those like Ubuntu which do support, changing to that causes the infamous screen-shift-left. Thus I have to get my GPU drivers working in order to work and there's mainly where all the problem starts usually.

madnav said:
i had issues with catalyst and fedora as well as mandriva.

but no issues with ubuntu whatsoever...

catalyst 9.6-9.7 had some issues.

try the latest version.

also...

what issue exactly do u face with ccc in ubuntu ?

..(mods can part this discussion to a new thread just incase if it sounds OT)

In Ubuntu the issue I faced was first, it wasn't getting installed, citing a BIOS bug. After I did managed to install it, the resolution problem started. Now I recently flashed my BIOS so i don't think that bug would resurface. After installing CCC, the issue that rose was not an error or bug but a problem, problem being that the Ubuntu was booting in a res. that wasn't supported by my display thus i was able to hear all the African drums and beats, the startup sounds that Ubuntu makes on a successful login, but on screen I was getting No Signal message.

Now as I mainly use Windows for Gaming and Entertainment and programming, Linux is for fun :bleh: so now I can stay and fight but I wanna evade and flank with newer cannons so tell me which one to load? :clap:

just incase you are upto trying latet driver under ubuntu...

try installing it this way..

download the .run file from ati..

right-click on it and select properties..

check 'allow execution' under permissions..

rename that file to ati.run

open terminal in the same folder/directory and type

./run

now the installer GUI will start...

chances are that none of the text and options would be visible/readable under ubuntu...

so select the option Tab on the right side on all pages :p

after installation...

type

fglrxinfo

in terminal... note it..

reboot.

type

fglrxinfo

in terminal... note it and post it here..

in terminal...type

aticonfig (or sudo aticonfig)

if you get any error..then catalyst is not installed properly...

if you get a help file regarding arguments to aticonfig command then its probably installed properly.

sabayon would work well with your display BUT you might have to compromise and settle to 24bit resolution...something that happened with me.

if you are keen on trying new OS then mandriva can be a good choice to try.

check this link : DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

you can check many distros for their support regarding hardware..how consistent have they been regarding software support and all...and then decide which one suites ur trial needs :p

btw you have already tried most of the top distros...just choose one and work towards it... :)

Thanx for the detailed solution on ATi Ubuntu but I removed Ubuntu frm my desktop a long time ago. :bleh: Now its the turn of Fedora 11 to get outta my system like a Bat outta Hell. Gonna see the Distro Watch link and post back if find something suitable. :cool2:

Second Post- Heard that its the purest Linux till date and more typical one so gonna give the Slackware 13 a spin. ;)

Ryunosuke said:
Just wanna know, besides Ubuntu, which other flava of Linux is most "Windows-like"?

Ryunosuke said:
its the purest Linux till date and more typical one so gonna give the Slackware 13 a spin. ;)

Slackware isn't for you. Might want to try out Mandriva, openSUSE or Sabayon

That's exactly Y I want to try it. Guys said, Linux ain't for me but still made it my subject of expertise, so will try Slackware too. Don't worry, not gonna ring up here for problems faced in it. ;)

Back