Linux Suggest me a distro

Upto now I've tried:

1. Open SUSE (still running on Desktop)
  2. RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
  3. Fedora 11
  4. Ubuntu 9.04 (still using it on Laptop)

Through VMWare I've tried:

1. Slackware 13 (exists virtually)
  2. Sabayon 3.5 (started using it, XFCE ROCKS!)
  3. Dynebolic
  4. Arch Linux

Now all of them have their own pros and cons and while Ubuntu on laptop has proved to the most stable by far, maybe coz I haven't uninstalled it yet ;) their is one niggling issue with it that made me scratch my scalp a bit.

Whenever I play videos in VLC media player or the default media player of Ubuntu, everything works fine in windowed mode but when I try to switch it full-screen, the entire screen goes black, audio playing in the background can be heard but that's it, it doesn't comes back to normality again, ave to reboot the damn thing:mad:

Now please tell me 2 things:

1. How to fix this issue?
  2. Which is the best Linux for Multimedia purposes?

How is the new Karmic koala in terms of ATi driver support and recognition and multimedia playback?

try adjusting Vsync settings in ati catalyst and in vlc settings(if exist)

also install latest vlc version if you haven't already... since this issue is quiet common; a bug fix must have been addressed in newer version.

Ryunosuke,

I know of other people with this bug. Disable Xv for now. Use `gstreamer-properties` to select the appropriate video output. You'll want to stay updated with ATI's newer drivers and see if this specific issue is fixed in later versions.

This is the issue on my laptop and Mobility drivers for ATi cards aren't so frequently updated so I will look around for driver updates for my HD4570 but I think its the VLC that is going to need update and tinkering with.

Ryunosuke said:
That's exactly Y I want to try it. Guys said, Linux ain't for me but still made it my subject of expertise, so will try Slackware too. Don't worry, not gonna ring up here for problems faced in it. ;)

Then gentoo ain't for you.

amitmishra12 said:
Can some1 guide me thru the archh setup?

Downloaded and burnt image on disc...

I somewhere read that arch's setup was a hard nut :)

Its very very super hard for people who can't understand English. Start with beginners guide at Arch Wiki.

@ryunosuke: install karmic and search for "vlc ppa" to install latest - but the one that comes with karmic repos should be good enough - not to mention ATI should have better support - can ATI users (darkstar) confirm?

After trying the Sabayon 3.5 in my VMware, I decided to go the full installation of Sabayon 5 in place of Open SUSE 12 on my desktop. For this purpose I'm using the Sabayon 5 DVD that came with November's LFY.
I selected the the res of 1024x768 from list that appears after pressing F4 and even gave the parameter of refresh=60 as my display is a 26inch LCD TV and booting it normally caused No Signal message on the screen although audio playing in the back was still audible. Even after giving these custom parameters, I still get the blank screen with audio playing in the background.
Switching to tty1 does shows the whole text mode screen @1024x768 but the GUI environment is not possible. I know this is a resolution issue so can u tell me how to fix it? The video device is ATi HD4850 and I wanted to know that if boot parameters are to be given for it too then what should I choose out of the 3
  1. xdriver=ati
  2. xdriver=radeon
  3. xdriver=radeonhd
Also on selecting the custom res of 1024x768 @32-bit color scheme, the res code 791 is displayed in boot parameters, so is there any need of doing res=1024x768 in boot parameters?

^^ Ok I will give it a shot :p

But for now I can suggest you to try fglrx that came preinstalled with it. or radeonhd amongst the one listed :)

Ohh did you read my OC article ?:p

Back