Car & Bike Suggest me a family automatic car, preferably well under 10L OTR (lesser the better)

Well I always had a bike with me and was using it when I was in India. Even after being married, bike sufficed. After my kid, I went to US for 5 years so no car needed in India. After coming back from US we decided to get a car and it sort of got delayed and now am buying.

We have finalized on the Grand i10 NIOS Sportz AMT and will be booking tomorrow. There is no EMI involved as I am paying full amount on delivery. I had kept aside 9L just for car.
We feel the Sportz AMT is a good value for money vehicle (within NIOS variants). I need to also cancel my Spresso booking.

At the end of day, what everyone in family liked, we want ahead and we don't want to end up in a situation where we regret buying a specific car (say Spresso) as we intend to keep for longer time.
Great decision. If you have 9L set aside, it would have been a very risky decision to buy an entry segment car like Spresso. Cars will stay with you for 10 years. Dont want it to he very cramped or barebones etc. It would have been a different story if you were constrained for budget.

I saved one lakh by buying a manual transmission but regret that decision very often. Shouldnt have saved money on the essentials. Nios is a much better car than spresso.
I wouldn't touch a maruti with a barge pole. Period
Why would you say that. In my mind both are quite similar. Similarly boaty suspension. Good after sales. Terrible safety. I would rather go car by car. Would chose creta over scross but would chose Baleno over i20. Hyundai has better interiors but what else. The service costs creep up quite rapidly in a Hyundai’s later years. Maruti service is not exactly cheap but certainly cheaper than Hyundai.

Might have gone for a Verna instead of Ciaz if the backseat wasnt so cramped. The engine isnt peppy at all and the ride quality is boaty but I really appreciate how fuss free a Maruti or a Hyundai ownership experience is.

As for Tata, the service is still a hit or a miss. Most people dont want to spend time finding a good garage.

That being said, we might need a car for my wife in some time and I think we will get the Altroz unless new Baleno actually gets 5 star rating.

I would also suggest to go for anything other than AMT. For your budget, you can get a Torque converter or a CVT. Why don't you look at Baleno CVT? Apparently, a baleno facelift is coming soon but it will be switching to a cheaper AMT so this is a last chance if someone wants to buy a baleno CVT

And its a very very well known fact that hyndai has much higher maintenance cost..
We need toyota to release smaller cars in India.
Even Nissan Magnite is very good and next would be Renault Kiger & Tata Punch in order of preference.
Slightly ot but with Ford's exit from Indian market, how wise it is to deviate from established market giants like Suzuki, Hyundai(by extension KIA), Tata and Mahindra?

5. Yes I am aware about its 0 Star GNACP rating. Since it is primarily a city car, I chose to ignore this.
In today's high speed world, i would keep the safety of the passengers above all.
Even within cities, people are driving at 60 Km/h+ and the CRASH TEST RATINGS are conducted at 60-70 Km/h and accident can happen to even a parked car and not just because of your driving mistake.
I would suggest you to buy a car that is at least 4 star safety rated and for city, (choose an efficient car with CNG if you drive a lot.)

Here are my suggestions under 10L (Not in Order) to look at these cars,.

1.Mahindra XUV 300.
2.Hundai Venue.
3.Tata Tigor CNG 2022.
4.Maruti Suzuki Breeza.
5.Maruti Suzuki Baleno ( 2022 , will release next month).

I owned the Santro automatic for a few years (sold it because I didn't like driving). It was a great car.

Service, though slightly expensive, was hassle free. I never had to visit a workshop, they will send someone to pick it up and drop it. And I never had to talk to an idiot (my friend, whose car was serviced by the Tatas has really amusing stories of dealing with workshop staff).

If I was looking for a car, I would happily buy it again.

In today's high speed world, i would keep the safety of the passengers above all.
Even within cities, people are driving at 60 Km/h+ and the CRASH TEST RATINGS are conducted at 60-70 Km/h and accident can happen to even a parked car and not just because of your driving mistake.
I would suggest you to buy a car that is at least 4 star safety rated and for city, (choose an efficient car with CNG if you drive a lot.)

Here are my suggestions under 10L (Not in Order) to look at these cars,.

1.Mahindra XUV 300.
2.Hundai Venue.
3.Tata Tigor CNG 2022.
4.Maruti Suzuki Breeza.
5.Maruti Suzuki Baleno ( 2022 , will release next month).

I am aware about safety and I am not denying that it should be a point of consideration but please be aware that that is not the only factor to be considered for a new owner like me. All you suggested are well above 10L OTR. My choice of automatic + Mumbai taxes really increase the car prices by a lot for me. Now when somoene says buy 4 star car then why no 5 star only. Basically suggestions are tweaked based on what is available in market today. If 80% cars were 5 star and everything else below, the same people would have suggested buy 5 star only and nothing below.

Even after driving for 5 years in US, I still don't understand cars. That is why i want to make sure I have fuss free ownership in a car that family and myself likes. I would not regret buying 2 star car because if I go back 5-6 years and had planned to buy something then, I would probably get all untested cars and very less automatic options.

Crux is, most people suggest based on things that are taking precedence now (like safety) and that is valid but as a new buyer, I have too many variables to consider and hence I am stuck on Hyundai and Maruti. It may be difficult for some car veterans to think from a new buyer's perspective and asses their needs and requirements and constraints.
Also running is not much and CNG is anyways not an option for me as automatics don't come with CNG and aftermarket is only option and I have not interest in doing so. Brezza is good car from looks of it but it is just too expensive for us.
I owned the Santro automatic for a few years (sold it because I didn't like driving). It was a great car.

Service, though slightly expensive, was hassle free. I never had to visit a workshop, they will send someone to pick it up and drop it. And I never had to talk to an idiot (my friend, whose car was serviced by the Tatas has really amusing stories of dealing with workshop staff).

If I was looking for a car, I would happily buy it again.
We did see the santro but felt it was smaller than our liking and hence opted for the i10 nios. I have no experience with service costs but I don't mind little more if the car itself fulfils our requirements.

Since it's going to be the only car in your family, I'd suggest going for the sedan version of the i10, or something similar - the Hyundai Aura, Honda Amaze, Maruti Suzuki Dzire. You never know when you'll need the boot.

Since it's going to be the only car in your family, I'd suggest going for the sedan version of the i10, or something similar - the Hyundai Aura, Honda Amaze, Maruti Suzuki Dzire. You never know when you'll need the boot.

Booked i10 NIOS. I don't need a lot of boot and this one does have adequate boot and for larger boot, we have corolla altis at home which I can drive if needed. Also if we do go far as entire extended family, we will anyways take both the cars.

Booked i10 NIOS. I don't need a lot of boot and this one does have adequate boot and for larger boot, we have corolla altis at home which I can drive if needed. Also if we do go far as entire extended family, we will anyways take both the cars.
You could have got Renault Kiger AMT for that much. Its a much more spacious car.

Congrats on the booking.

Considering the fact that you had initially booked the Espresso (which I expect is because of its higher seating position and higher ground clearance), the Punch would have been a better option. You would have to stretch your budget a bit, but it would be a better option for the long term. Tata is much better as a manufacturer as of now (4-5 of my friends and colleagues own Tiago, Nexon and Altroz since past 4-5 years)
I have taken a test drive of the Punch and the bonnet visibility is a boon in city traffic. Perhaps you can take a test drive of the Punch and decide after that. Higher variants of the Punch are apparently available quite easily.

You could have got Renault Kiger AMT for that much. Its a much more spacious car.

It is not about what is value for money or bigger. It is about having no fuss ownership at least as a first time buyer. I know someone who owns the brand may tell it is good and all but as a new driver and new first time owner, it is difficult for me to ascertain that.
Congrats on the booking.

Considering the fact that you had initially booked the Espresso (which I expect is because of its higher seating position and higher ground clearance), the Punch would have been a better option. You would have to stretch your budget a bit, but it would be a better option for the long term. Tata is much better as a manufacturer as of now (4-5 of my friends and colleagues own Tiago, Nexon and Altroz since past 4-5 years)
I have taken a test drive of the Punch and the bonnet visibility is a boon in city traffic. Perhaps you can take a test drive of the Punch and decide after that. Higher variants of the Punch are apparently available quite easily.

In Punch, only one I liked was Accomplished which is 9.5L OTR in Mumbai. I already had stretched my budget a lot coming from Spresso at 6L OTR to Nios at 8.5L OTR. This way there is no end. And as mentioned before, I am not saying Tata or anyone is bad or anything. It is just that I am first time buyer and my only considerations are Maruti and Hyundai. May be at time of next vehicle, I will be better informed and more aware and can even check other brands.

See, automatic part is just non negotiable. You probably are a manual car driver and hence your query as to "Why automatic" but consider myself and wife who have driven Camry automatic in US for 4+ years and we just love driving automatic. I have driven manual in car training school couple of months back and that further cemented by inclination towards automatics.
If automatics were not in demand, all companies wouldn't have AMTs and such automatics in their array of vehicles. Also as I said, 10L is max absolutely. If you see my current booking is of SPresso which is 6L OTR Car so it is very difficult for me to consider 10L car at this point. May be I should change subject to 8L OTR. In this price range, I see santro AMT checking all boxes for me and something that will need absolutely no aftermarket work too I feel.

About needing it later, it may be one off cases when we all from home go to someplace. But our car is going to be only for city so luggage will be very less and also if we do have to fill car with more luggage, my brother has corolla altis. We currently use that when we 7 people (2 kids) in family need to travel to somewhere.
Test drive a few AMTs first.
If you are used to a Camry with a torque converter, AMT will feel really odd to you. (They jerk noticeably every time it goes through a gear change)

Maybe over time one may get used to it - but if you are used to a normal AT (TC/DSG even CVT) , you will very likely feel shortchanged with an AMT

I think Vitara brezza should be your choice for the city as it has
Good ground clearance
Good lower end power
Maruti and Toyota whichever you prefer are best for service and resale

New Baleno is also here with much-improved body panels and a peppy engine with great mileage.
Newly launched Wagon R with Cng is very good option for city drive in the world with so high price petrol

Back