Video Suggest Plasma or LCD TV, 40" or more

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
My friend went and checked a Panasonic TH-P42V20D at night. That and other plasmas were showing a yellowish tinge and blue looked sea green.:S

The LCD/LED TVs next to it looked ok with whatever stuff the showrooms dish out.

Surely disconcerting for someone looking at a Plasma on being recommended one but with a bent towards getting an LCD/LED TV.

Any ideas why?
So looking at LCDs now- maybe Sony 40"/46"- EX520 or CX520. Or a Samsung LA40C530 or something.
1. Budget: 55-60K. slightly more possible if i get a good TV.

2. Viewing distance: ~10-12 feet.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. Primarily DTH/HD DTH/media player (/HTPC not sure).

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV : Plasma or LCD/LED.

5. Preference for brands : Panasonic Plasma or Sony/Samsung? No idea of Panasonic LCDs.

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? NO.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room : Window/Balcony bang opposite the TV, Some decorative lamps?

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. : No 3D. DLNA? what is that? do i need it?
Now very confused, with all the options he has seen and not sure which is good.

bro, the v20 is the best plasma if the settings are correct... But plasma's have their disadvantages, glarery screen and bulk, plus may heat up!

Sony's you've mentioned are good, the cx 520 has a spva panel but the features like wlan ready, etc are only usable u use a sony dongle worth another 4.5k min! Plus u'r restricted to some sony features ;) (it wont even play all formats of movies through usb)

The samsung c530 has an awesome picture clarity, i've seen it in action. Plus the goodies. I think it's the best bet out there for u.:)

Well, speaking of companies only panasonic and i think toshiba offers a 3 year warranty on their tv's. Whereas Sony, samsung, etc offer only a year of warranty. So, ask yourself, if it is worth paying those extra 20k just for a year of warranty!

PS: I just bought a 40" sony bx420, via grey market for just 34k (only bcoz it is amongst the rarest sony's supporting almost all formats for movie playback, plus is a thailand model and has awesome picture clarity), and the cx 520 was available for 40.5K.

Well since you have a balcony directly opposite to a tv,best to get a lcd.
The CX520 is a good choice and equally good is the samsung D550(provided you get a SPVA panel).

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Actually i will prefer the CX if getting a Sony- these "Edge" LEDs can act funny with certain scenes i have heard. :)

Yup, they do!

DLNA is kinda useful if you have other DLNA servinng equipment in the house. Like a NAS. Otherwise I'd say you don't need it.

The bulk and heat associated with plasmas are really a thing of past. You get as svelte panels as LCDs and I've been living with a 50 incher for more than 2 years now without getting a Tan so can testify that :p

@Chaos: That sounds yummy! My only concern would be the A.S.S. of Sharp in India. If someone can shed light on that it'll be great.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
My friend went and checked a Panasonic TH-P42V20D at night. That and other plasmas were showing a yellowish tinge and blue looked sea green.:S

The LCD/LED TVs next to it looked ok with whatever stuff the showrooms dish out.
So looking at LCDs now- maybe Sony 40"/46"- EX520 or CX520. Or a Samsung LA40C530 or something.
I had the Samsung 40" A550 LCD that got jacked in 1.5 yrs - 6 months after warranty got over. Bought it for 68k, sold it for 10k.

On Sat i finally bought a replacement - Panasonic with 3 yrs warranty on panel. I had to have a longer warranty after my first experience. Bought the 42' X30D for 36.5k. It is not full HD but HD ready. Loving it. I'd select a plasma over LCD coz i seem to find them clearer.

My friend went and checked a Panasonic TH-P42V20D at night. That and other plasmas were showing a yellowish tinge and blue looked sea green.

Go to Pictures Settings-> Set it to True Cinema and check a movie out....Then switch over to Game Mode and try a PS3 game...And please revert back....

What is the ambient light in the room...? YEs the screen is reflective and best viewed at night and it does heat up, but the glossy picture quality, superior blacks levels and very little input lag me this TV really stand out...

Plus I can vouch for Panasonic Warranty as they have fixed my TV in 2 days time Door to Door and replaced a board which had burnt by mistake :)

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room : Window/Balcony bang opposite the TV, Some decorative lamps?
Well get dark curtains...If possible and you will be glad....Also yes the screen is reflective so light from the back is a big no no,,,

Dearest Confucius, I gave you the possible suggestions already. :p

Within that budget, cramping an edge-lit LED TV is not possible unless you could give a shot from the grey market. Alfa at Irla will have some solid deals for Sony LCDs imported from Thai and Malay. If it works at the outlet and you could use it with a voltage stabiliser later on, it should work without issues.

If you could control the ambient lighting conditions in the room with proper dark curtains, I'd advise a plasma - the Panny P42V20D is the best plasma TV you could possibly buy within 62k in the country. Seems like the one you checked out in the showroom might have been faulty. Do another audition at another outlet with proper sources. You haven't mentioned what source were they playing on the display. Unless heat generation and power consumption is not a problem, a plasma display would be an ideal investment. You could keep the display in a well ventilated room and you wouldn't require an AC either.

If it is the LCD way, I'd advise the Sony 40CX520/EX520. Anil recently got hold of a EX520 and he is a happy Sony camper. Samsung still has the lottery policy so I wouldn't advise a Samsung display lest the owner may end up being unhappy with the purchase, later regretting. This is mostly a placebo effect I'd add. I know of peeps having AMVA/SMVA panels an they are quite happy with their respective panels.

I was/is in the lookout for a Plasma as well, and have shortlisted Samsung PS51D550. Had a demo too and am pretty satisifed with the movie picture quality. FULL HD and 3D(though I doubt I will use the feature). Though its slightly higher than your budget at 70K.

If you could control the ambient lighting conditions in the room with proper dark curtains, I'd advise a plasma - the Panny P42V20D is the best plasma TV you could possibly buy within 62k in the country. Seems like the one you checked out in the showroom might have been faulty. Do another audition at another outlet with proper sources. You haven't mentioned what source were they playing on the display. Unless heat generation and power consumption is not a problem, a plasma display would be an ideal investment. You could keep the display in a well ventilated room and you wouldn't require an AC either.

It only really heats up if there are a lot of brighter scenes, or your wall paper is white...

You will also only notice the heat if you sit retard-ly close to it like me :)

I am yet to compare it to the newer Samsung LED TV's though, but I would love to check out the newer 8 and 7 series of Samsung...they really do look nice, but way over the budget...

OK i own all 3. LED, lcd and a pana plasma(X20).
The Panasonic screen is literally like a mirror, if you cant control external light, dont buy it for it will reflect and i mean really reflect through. If you can control the lighting, get the V20, its freaking awesome.
Between an lcd or led, its a no brainer here as to which is superior. I do prefer the Samsung over the sony's. All in all, i do feel they are better VFM.

Considering a plasma v/s lcd, the brightness in an lcd is way better than a plasma. You need to seriously consider this before your purchase. If you need more brightness, then i guess things quiet easily simplify themselves for you.

With Sony's at least for the series I have, they do not support all formats. So keep that in mind. LG/Samsung (could be wrong) would support wider format range direct of the USB host port. I invested in an POHD player. (6K'esh).

Thanks a lot everyone.

Hope to give the Panny Plasma a dekko once again at some other location before going for an LCD TV.

If going for the latter, still a bit unsure of Sony or Sammy. :S

(Plus the BE3 Sony's had that issue of not properly recognising PC input via HDMI iirc- so God save if a plan to add a HTPC comes up later)

While buying a TV/Monitor, my biggest concern has always been picture/image quality- it's a TV/Display after all.

Sound, additional features like USB support come next only when the first and most important criterion is met (within budget).

I have suggested Samsung C530 LCD TVs to friends who i know will be happy with whatever they get but more happy when they get the extras like multiple format media support via USB, etc

For me, if buying a TV, need a good display first and then get a media player and a audio system if i want more. :)

Strange hardy anyone out here seems to speak about LG - LED TV's [bargain well at LG-Shoppe _authorised dealers]. They are the best VFM between Sony, Samsung & Pana.

I am using a 47" LG LED for the past 6 month's [paid 66.5K after exchanging my old 29" CRT -non flat]- my gear is listed below and the performance is AWESOME.

LCD will be phased out in due course. Best Plasma sets are still ridiculously priced in India or not available [the eco-friendly & low power cons models]. Go to Pana USA site and then realise the difference.

Lg sets are awesomest value for money. And their performance is second to none!

Been using one since a yr now, and bought it after a lot of research between sony samsung and LG, dint consider panasonic though!

The X-reality based Sony i believe have the game mode,for text to be displayed correctly via HDMI.

With your living room light conditions chances are you will have to crank up the backlight to defeat glare.

Thank you all- thank you indeed. :)

adder- I forgot to mention earlier that most of the viewing will be at night :p and there will be curtains too. :)

Here are the prices that i am getting

Sony KDL-40CX520 > 55K approx

Samsung LA40D550 > 45K approx (or was it 47K? :S)

Samsung LA40C550 > 45K approx

Samsung LA40C650 > 60K+ ?

Update: Prices update. Are they ok?

Lost again. :gap:

Gannu- how much did Anil get his Sony for?

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Gannu- how much did Anil get his Sony for?
I think 65k or something. 40C550 has an awesome pricing Bikey. Grab it if you can confirm that it has a SQ/SS panel.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Samsung has no issues with PC connectivity. I can personally confirm that. Anil can confirm if the newer 2011 lot of Sony has issues with PC connectivity as BE3 had.

Back