Video Suggest Plasma or LCD TV, 40" or more


Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
Gannu said:
Samsung has no issues with PC connectivity. I can personally confirm that. Anil can confirm if the newer 2011 lot of Sony has issues with PC connectivity as BE3 had.

Could you elaborate on the issues with the Bravia Engine with regards to dealing with input from a PC? I tried searching, but I guess I'm using an incorrect search string.
 

asingh

Well-Known Member
Staff member
BIKeINSTEIN said:
Gannu- how much did Anil get his Sony for?

Sir, you can ask me too...! :)

It was a shade short of 65K. Plus got an Airtel HD box (non-recorder) + dish + installation with a decent three month package free.
Gannu said:
Anil can confirm if the newer 2011 lot of Sony has issues with PC connectivity as BE3 had.

Will see if I can manage today or tomorrow to hook my netbook via ferrite connectors. Sorry, but I cannot drag my PC to the living room. Errrm.....may I could. Will get back. ;)
Grease Monk said:
Could you elaborate on the issues with the Bravia Engine with regards to dealing with input from a PC? I tried searching, but I guess I'm using an incorrect search string.

Will let you know, see the response above...!
 

adder

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Grease Monk said:
Could you elaborate on the issues with the Bravia Engine with regards to dealing with input from a PC? I tried searching, but I guess I'm using an incorrect search string.
The 2010 and 2009 BE3 based tvs didn't support a text mode via HDMI,it does however support text mode in VGA.

The 2011 models are said to show text fine in hdmi,provided you go to Scene Select and choose Graphics, Screen Format should be Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel(this option not available if its set to auto)
 

BIKeINSTEIN

Well-Known Member
Veteran
^ Plus I have heard that Sony 2011 models support many media/movie formats via USB unlike previous models (something that Sony might have realised was favouring the Sammys).

Can someone please confirm this?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
The 40" EX520 is also a good choice. LED.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Actually i will prefer the CX if getting a Sony- these "Edge" LEDs can act funny with certain scenes i have heard. :)

There is another thing i noticed while comparing Sony CX520 and EX520 > 'Viewing Angle 178° (Right/Left), 178° (Up/Down)' missing in EX520 ? :S

KDL-40CX520 : CX520 Series : BRAVIA

KDL-40EX520 : EX520 Series : BRAVIA
 

asingh

Well-Known Member
Staff member
The format support stands at:

MP3,WAV, PCM, JPEG, RAW, MPO, MPEG-1/2/4, DivX, AVCHD via dual USB, Ethernet and optional Wi-Fi

Sony Bravia KDL-40EX520 Review - Watch CNET Asia's Video Review

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

adder said:
The 2010 and 2009 BE3 based tvs didn't support a text mode via HDMI,it does however support text mode in VGA.

The 2011 models are said to show text fine in hdmi,provided you go to Scene Select and choose Graphics, Screen Format should be Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel(this option not available if its set to auto)
Will try out these steps over the weekend, so I can test PC connectivity. Will try VGA and HDMI.
 

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Veteran
BIKeINSTEIN said:
Thank you all- thank you indeed. :)

adder- I forgot to mention earlier that most of the viewing will be at night :p and there will be curtains too. :)

Here are the prices that i am getting

Sony KDL-40CX520 > 55K approx

Samsung LA40D550 > 45K approx (or was it 47K? :S)

Samsung LA40C550 > 45K approx

Samsung LA40C650 > 60K+ ?

Update: Prices update. Are they ok?

Here are the prices I was quoted when I got my TV. These are from Samsung Plaza for factory sealed pieces with 1 year warranty.
Samsung LA40D550 : 42.5k

Samsung LA40C650 : 51k

Gannu said:
Samsung has no issues with PC connectivity. I can personally confirm that. Anil can confirm if the newer 2011 lot of Sony has issues with PC connectivity as BE3 had.

The only issue I faced with PC connectivity out of the box on my Samsung LA32D5000 was blurry text via HDMI . No issues with VGA connector at all. But When connected via HDMI, the text completely blurry to the point of being unreadable. To fix that, you have to manually set the HDMI connection type to PC Mode by bringing up the settings. This is done by highlighting the appropriate HDMI connector in the source list and and then press tools button to get a list of connection types. Once you do that, the text would be just as good as on a Monitor. Resolution support is fantastic on the Samsung's as I found myself. There are about 15~20 resolutions to choose from and includes most of the common PC resolutions that people use.
 

adder

Well-Known Member
Veteran
BIKeINSTEIN said:
^ Plus I have heard that Sony 2011 models support many media/movie formats via USB unlike previous models (something that Sony might have realised was favouring the Sammys).
Can someone please confirm this?


Yes the 2011 models support more features be it online features or via usb.

In videos they MPEG-1/2/4, DivX/AVI, AVCHD ,WMV.
Samsung still supports more like MKV it also accepts NTFS partioned HDD.

For some reason the low end 2011 sony such as CX420,BX420 etc based on BE3 supports all formats including MKV it also supports NTFS partioned HDD ,but none of the Sony tvs based on X-reality including the flagship HX920 support MKV and NTFS .

BIKeINSTEIN said:
There is another thing i noticed while comparing Sony CX520 and EX520 > 'Viewing Angle 178° (Right/Left), 178° (Up/Down)' missing in EX520 ? :S
KDL-40CX520 : CX520 Series : BRAVIA
KDL-40EX520 : EX520 Series : BRAVIA
Both have a SPVA panel,with the EX520 have a higher spec version(with slightly higher color gamut)
 

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Grease Monk said:
Could you elaborate on the issues with the Bravia Engine with regards to dealing with input from a PC? I tried searching, but I guess I'm using an incorrect search string.

adder has nailed it. Initially I happened to know of this issue from Shripad and Udit from the forums. Later, several other forums confirmed it. In essence, if you were to connect the Bravia via HDMI, the input is not recognised as HDMI and text is super blurry.
BIKeINSTEIN said:
^ Plus I have heard that Sony 2011 models support many media/movie formats via USB unlike previous models (something that Sony might have realised was favouring the Sammys).

Can someone please confirm this?
The Indian models do not support .mkv files whereas the Thai/Malay models seem to. A member seemed to have got hold of a KDL40BX520 from the grey market and that model seems to support all the formats.

Refer - http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/the-everyday-show-off-thread-124079-225.html#post1836805

Lord Nemesis said:
The only issue I faced with PC connectivity out of the box on my Samsung LA32D5000 was blurry text via HDMI .
I had no such issues. I did not have my PC at that point so I used my roomie's PC which had a HD5670. Connected it via HDMI to watch the World Cup live stream and the text was just too awesome. Natively the resolution was chosen as 1920x1080 and everything was clear. Did not have to adjust any settings. :)
 

BIKeINSTEIN

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Update time:

Though I might not dare to buy grey, I dared to check the grey market price for the Sony KDL-40CX520 and have got a price of 40.5K.

And there is a possibility of getting it for even lower maybe.

So if buying a Sony, what do you'll suggest. Kindly post your vote. :p

KDL-40CX520 or KDL-40EX520 ? :)
 

adder

Well-Known Member
Veteran
^Well thats subjective but it depends on the price difference ,the EX520 is definitely better,slightly higher color gamut,slimmer,much lower power consumption.
Aesthetically a few years down the line the CX520 or say the samsung C550/D550 will look really fat,with mosts tvs by that time being no more then 25mm thick.
 

asingh

Well-Known Member
Staff member
BIKeINSTEIN said:
Update time:

Though I might not dare to buy grey, I dared to check the grey market price for the Sony KDL-40CX520 and have got a price of 40.5K.

And there is a possibility of getting it for even lower maybe.

So if buying a Sony, what do you'll suggest. Kindly post your vote. :p

KDL-40CX520 or KDL-40EX520 ? :)
Woaah..what a difference in pricing. My vote is out to the EX.
 

aceman

Well-Known Member
Adept
if it is of any help ... i had bought a Sony BX440 from the grey market for 31K ( 30.7K to be precise) in Chennai. Running quite good and am happy with the purchase till now though it is too soon to tell.
 

Top