Suggest Wall Fan: BLDC Motor or Conventional DC Motor ?

Emperor

Skilled
Hi,

Was about to purchase Bajaj Midea Wall Fan, while searching online, suddenly came across some BLDC Motor Fan Model .. but it's whooping Rs.5000/-, while Bajaj DC Motor fan available for 2.5k or less.

BLDC Motor mfg. saying it's more durable + saving lot's on Electricity Bill too.

Currently using Bajaj Midea Table fan (with Regular DC Motor) since last 5 yrs. and still going strong.

So is it wise to buy BLDC Motor fan paying amount DOUBLE then regular DC Motor fan?

Kindly suggest... Thanks

Hi,

Was about to purchase Bajaj Midea Wall Fan, while searching online, suddenly came across some BLDC Motor Fan Model .. but it's whooping Rs.5000/-, while Bajaj DC Motor fan available for 2.5k or less.

BLDC Motor mfg. saying it's more durable + saving lot's on Electricity Bill too.

Currently using Bajaj Midea Table fan (with Regular DC Motor) since last 5 yrs. and still going strong.

So is it wise to buy BLDC Motor fan paying amount DOUBLE then regular DC Motor fan?

Kindly suggest... Thanks
it's half the watt usage on BLDC motors. now, how much time do you use and recover the extra amount spend on hand while buying differs? but the bldc motor fan is more silent for me.

Brush costs 50 rupee and any electrical repair shop will replace it for 100 rupee.

No, you are never going to break it even if that's what you are asking.

It isn't about the cost of repairs. My BLDC motor fan consumes 28W at maximum speed, a regular fan consumes 70-85W IIRC. The savings pretty quickly add up as fan runs for many hours at day, sometimes even 24 hours when I'm staying home all day.

Same question I was examing with an AC thread back in 2008 and it turned out getting a 2 star dumb ac was cheaper in terms of TCO than some Daikin
Brush costs 50 rupee and any electrical repair shop will replace it for 100 rupee.

Bingo!

The only time BLDC makes sense if you need to watch watts with an inverter

A Brushless DC electric motor would certainly consume less electricity as compared to conventional PMSM AC motor fan. The Benefits being lesser consumption and most models have a remote control with speed and timer settings.

wall fan Good Quality Bush cost Rs.250/- pair, but repair shop cheat me 2 times, charge Rs.250/- for repair but fan never able to run more than 10 days. Fan motor humming but blades are not moving.... few days back using scale we push wings and fan starts but now that trick too not working.

Last edited:
One drawback the conventional ceiling fans have is their speed depends on mains voltage. If you get low voltage the fan spins slowly. If it goes above 250v it spins very fast. Another drawback is they get very hot.

BLDC fans don't have these issues. They have a wide voltage range and give expected air output. My old BLDC fan has started to hum at 1 and 2 speed so i can say even these fans have that problem.

Can air throw be compared with a conventional ceiling fan?
Depends on the blade design. There is not much testing with data here. So companies can claim whatever they want.
wall fan Good Quality Bush cost Rs.250/- pair, but repair shop cheat me 2 times, charge Rs.250/- for repair but fan never able to run more than 10 days. Fan motor humming but blades are not moving.... few days back using scale we push wings and fan starts but now that trick too not working.
Sounds like it was not a competent repair. What do you think?

Sounds like it was not a competent repair. What do you think?
99.90% Repair guys (person in repairing business) are always cheat customers on name of repair.. hence only few get success & fame in Repairing Field and all other keep changing business/shift in 3-5 years.

^ Something must have shorted in your fan if it was humming and needed a push to start. I had to do complete rewire and varnish coating for an old fan which had similar trouble. In end it's sitting without use now because i threw away it's blades which got oxidised and broke apart a bit on the edges. These various fan blades all look the same but you cannot use one company fan blades with another because the screw spacing differs by few mm. I'll never buy normal fan now. Too many headaches. We end up spending more on service after it falls than buying a new one. Conventional ceiling fans are disposable now.
See this video for an explanation. It's in Hindi.

Last edited:
..so no hope left for .... this old wall fan from Khaitan ?
No. See the video i just embedded. That fan will require complete rewiring and both ball bearing changed to work like new. Doing that will cost 600+. If that fan has sentimental value then it's a cheap cost. If not just buy BLDC in your budget. There's some on Amazon for 3.9k.

Really old ceiling fans made in 80s have big ball bearings, so they last decades. But do to ever increasing tariff prices and longer back up times on inverter and remote BLDC fans will become the norm.

As far as humming in regular fans, it could be due to coils loosing their insulation due to overheating or the capacitor value as dropped.

In BLDC fans hum if the pcb is a square wave driver vs a sinusoidal wave. If the humming devolops over time, could be due to components loosing value, like capacitors which looses its value due high ripple current.

..with conventional fan (regular ceiling fans) LOW QUALITY SPEED REGULATOR also makes humming sound or some sort of crack sound, I experienced same just two month back... change to Anchor Brand Speed Regulator and humming sound from ceiling fan stopped.

OP we have 6 Atomberg Renessa+ fans in our home. although they are priced higher but according to my usage i calculated that we'll be able to recover that extra cost in 2 years and then it is all saving after that. secondly, it also hel;ps in case if you have inverter at your place

Back