CPU/Mobo Suggestion (AMD FX 8350 + ??(MOBO) + RAM)

SudipBasu

Disciple
Need suggestion for buying (Motherboard + Ram). CPU Already decided (AMD FX 8350)

What is your budget?
20k (Its Including CPU:- AMD FX 8350)

What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

-CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz
-Motherboard - Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
- GPU - Geforce 8600 GT
- PSU - 450W (Forget The Brand)
- Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 2033
- RAM - 3 GB Zeon DDR2
- HDD - WD 1TB Black
- HDD - Seagate 500GB
- Mouse - Logitech Performence Mouse
- KB - Logitech K350

Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
- GPU - Geforce 8600 GT
- PSU - 450W (Forget The Brand)
- Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 2033
- HDD - WD 1TB Black
- HDD - Seagate 500GB
- Mouse - Logitech Performence Mouse
- KB - Logitech K350

Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

-CPU - AMD FX 8350

-Motherboard - ?? (Need Suggestion) (Is Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P is good for FX8350 ?)
-RAM - ?? (4GB) (Need Suggestion)
Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

GFX Card near future + More RAM
Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
- Kolkata Market place

Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
- no

What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
- PHP Development
- Stream Video to Local Hand-held (Ex: Air Video to Ipad)
- HD Movie using XBMC

- Occasional gaming

Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
- Not Specific

What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
- 1600x900
- have second monitor/TV with res. 1920x1080

Are you looking to overclock?
-No

Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
- WIN 7/8

The motherboard is good but getting 4Gb ram is goig to overshoot your budget. If you want to stay iside the budget get GA-78LMT-USB3 at ~4k and Kingston hyperX blu @ 2.8K.

Even 8320 is more than enough for his usage. If he doesn't mind buying an 8320, he can get 4GB ram easily then.

Thanx for your valuable comment. Once I thought about go for 8320. But then again I update my rig in between 4-5 years so why not go for the latest one which I can effort. I think you both were right. My budget is tight so I need to upgrade my budget as well from 20K to 25K. I forgot the factor that I can sell my working mobo+cpu+ram around 4k to 5k I believe. So in that case I can spend 7K to 8K on motherboard. I am looking for that kind of mobo wright now. :)

Which PSU do you have?
The 8320 and 8350 consume about 125w at stock frequencies, if you intend to overclock, it'll be even higher.
Just because your power supply is rated at 450w doesn't mean that it can supply that much under working conditions. And as systems get older their power supplies degrade.
So your PSU that was rated to supply 450w when new @ 25 degree centigrade, might not be able to supply that much now, at operating temps in the range of 50-60 degrees.

Make sure your PSU can that amount of power before investing in a new CPU.

Also the AMD FX series output a lot of heat, so unless your case is well ventilated, you're going to have a problem with thermals.

If I was getting a new system like you, I'd buy an equivalent Intel processor that had lower power requirements, and outputted a lot less heat.

@Crazy_Eddy I just realize that[DOUBLEPOST=1394563475][/DOUBLEPOST]@ch@ts I know AMD produce more heat than Intel and thats why I am little confused recently. The nearest equivalent Intel processor is I5-4670 and 4440. If I go for 4670 then my budget overshooting more than 4K. So I have to to go for 4440 then. But I am not sure if I5-4440 is powerfull than AMD 8350 in real world scenario. I know that I cant feel much difference but still its a mental satisfaction.
I plan to buy it after 21 March. Till then I am monitoring this post for valuable suggestion.

Last edited:
I have a Corsair HX750 Modular Gold rated supplying power as well as a NZXT Phantom 510 case with 6 fans . So its purring along nicely (though very noisy):):).

I contemplated buying Nvidia initially but it greatly overshot my budget. The boards for nvidia are more expensive than AMD, high end ones i mean.

@Crazy_Eddy I just realize that[DOUBLEPOST=1394563475][/DOUBLEPOST]@ch@ts I know AMD produce more heat than Intel and thats why I am little confused recently. The nearest equivalent Intel processor is I5-4670 and 4440. If I go for 4670 then my budget overshooting more than 4K. So I have to to go for 4440 then. But I am not sure if I5-4440 is powerfull than AMD 8350 in real world scenario. I know that I cant feel much difference but still its a mental satisfaction.
I plan to buy it after 21 March. Till then I am monitoring this post for valuable suggestion.

The heat issue is just a myth. Don't loose your sleep over this. i5 4440 is a good cpu [ better than FX 8350 is most cases ] and sure is more suitable for your needs.

Thanx everyone for your valuable suggestion. I think I made my mind about my final configuration. So bellow is the final specification.

Processor: Intel 3.1 GHz LGA 1150 i5 4440
Mobo: "Gigabyte B85M-D3H" Or "ASUS B85M-G" (Based on availability)

RAM: 4GB 1600 (Not Decided the model. Is this necessary for me to buy those spike headed heat sink ram or should i go for the traditional old school one)

Back