Video Suggestion for 32 inch LCD TV

There is this new store chain in Delhi called Super Spencer's. Its a Big Bazaar kinda store, dont know if its there in Mumbai or not coz its the first time I heard the name. Anyway they had the 32" bordeaux for 59990.

amitmk said:
Which place is it for just 50k???

Any places in Mumbai??

I don't think Sony's worth it...dude besides its a Samsung OEM panel...The bordeaux 32 is beautiful and performs damn well. My folks back home love this set...

Chaos said:
AFAIK Sony Bravia is a Samsung OEM. Why pay more just for the sony badge :p.
only panel is OEM, entire processing engine is different in Sony.

However, I agree that Sony price is more than it is worth for but definately difference in quality.

I have seen them in person since i would to buy one of this for my PC, but got a Dell in the end, but IMO, the Samsung had a bit better IQ, the pic had higher contrast n the texture were less blurry :D..

yusuf said:
only panel is OEM, entire processing engine is different in Sony.

However, I agree that Sony price is more than it is worth for but definately difference in quality.

I diasagree I saw a sony too before deciding. I felt the Samsung had a better image quality. We also used the x360 at office on a 26" boardeaux. Good quality...really good, played TDU and GOW among others.

amitmk said:
Do u get Samsung TVs in the grey mkt ???

I dont wanna spend the extra 25-30k extra buying it officially.

Its not 25 to 30K more... Retail should be around 65K, while grey should be tops 10K lower...However there's no chances of fakes...so grey may also be a viable option :p

I went for Samsung Bourdeaux based on the unprecendented support on this forum. But I suggest you take a closer look at Bravia as they both cost around the same... 65k retail and 55k gray.
Things going on for Bravia:
1) Its a Sony... so no point explaining to folks why you went for samsung
2) Its gray color is less susceptible to scratches than Samsungs shiny black
3) It looks bigger caz of the speakers
4) It doesnt have clever marketing like Samsung that states contrast ratios in thousand thanks to dynamic contrast, whereas the actual contrast ratio is close to 800
5) Without DNIE blacks dont look as sharp, but with dynamic contrast on, you get grainy picture

If I had to make a choice again today after having bought the samsung, I would probably go for a Sony for the factors mentioned above. Specially if they are priced the same.

vandal said:
I diasagree I saw a sony too before deciding. I felt the Samsung had a better image quality. We also used the x360 at office on a 26" boardeaux. Good quality...really good, played TDU and GOW among others.

I am sure there must be a setup problem. Sony outperforms Samsung anyday in processing engine.

yusuf said:
I am sure there must be a setup problem. Sony outperforms Samsung anyday in processing engine.

Possibly...In that case I recommend someone here contacts the Sony showroom I visited (I'll PM interested parties the details) and get that sales guy fired... Cause I had the cash that day, and was leaving for Jabalpur the next day...So I had to buy the LCD....:eek:hyeah:

That guy cost his dealer 65K...plain and simple. I don't consider having lost anything, because I'm satisfied :p full paisa vasooli!!

I haven't researched on the processing engine used by both products, so I can't comment. Our very own resident Chaos baba should be able to comment..

Actually, I rarely find sales guys in shops to be any knowledgeable and setting are usually screwed up. Best would be to go to place where you can compare multiple model side by side with same settings. Since there is no standard way to compare settings with different model, carry some calibration dvd like avia which definately helps better than demo DVD.

yusuf said:
Sony outperforms Samsung anyday in processing engine.

Get ur eyes checked, ur seriously into a prob:bleh:

U seem to be a brand hypocrite, & because of that, u loose the ability to compare the technologies on technical & practical grounds...... Don't fall into a class of people who are like "Sony... Sony hai bhai".
Sony in india is the worst product line they offer. right from the manufacturing, to the pricing & the after sales, all suck royally.

hmm...seems like you can't afford Sony, work hard to get to the class :)

Anyway, just compare with calibration DVD and you will come to know what I am talking about (if you know what it is ;)). Here I talk after thorough calibration of both the TV next to each other with calibration DVD, under same lighting conditions and same eyes.

Yes, there are sony products which are not good (e.g. speakers) but as long as Bravia goes, it simply outperforms Samsung LCD TV.

Oh yes...I love brands...but lets not get personal about it. I just shared my opinion. I would be happy to hear your technical opinions but no personal attack. Thanks.

[ot rant]

brand has nothing got to do with how much money u have.. thats a pure misconception. Take TE for instance. we have quite a few members here who earn in 7-digit figures n still go for THE BEST PRODUCT and not after a brand.

Just b'coz u (or me) are a fanboy of a particular brand doesnt make it the best. Its what they make better than the rest that makes them a better brand :)

[/ot rant]

in 99.99% case quality depends on the brand.

U have budget SONY Bravias (which retail at abt 70-90k for 32") and the better ones which retails above 1.3 Lakhs.

For someone who can afford to pay a premium a SONY is more advisable because of the peace of mind it will give you.

And SONY products in India (atleast the LCD TVs and hi-fi gadgets) are as good as the ones abroad. SONY India products being of cheap quality is a misconception. It was true for a brief period when SONY started manufacturing CRT Tvs in India. Now no ways...

How about Panasonic Vierra Range of Displays. 32" LCD ones are for 60k...yesterday's price for panasonic 32LX500M model...this particular model has got good reviews on cnet(8.3) editor's choice...not sure abt cnet's credibility though...but seems to be a good display..maybe a bit outdated considering that the panel was introduced in 2005.

you can get a 42" plasma for around 75k -- check showrooms -- 20 years of watchin/8 hours a day -- good option .. good life :)

Back