Suggestion for Mesh WiFi

Abhishek_

Recruit
I need to set up mesh Wi-Fi network for home. There are approximately 12-15 Wi-Fi devices including three 4k televisions. The use of this networking will be basic browsing, You tube and 4K Streaming via platforms like Netflix, primevideo.

the house is in two floors with approximate area of 5500 sqft per floor. the ISP is reliance JIO with a basic router providing 2.4Ghz WIFI. The router is situated at the corner of the house to keep visible wiring at bare minimum. At present using an Wi-Fi extender to cover the ground floor. The coverage in the upper floor is limited to one half with present coverage.

please suggest a good mesh Wi-Fi, compatible with JIO fiber.

I’m currently using Netgear Orbi RBK352 (2 pack) in mesh mode in a 1850 sq ft apartment. The whole system works great. There’s only 1 single network SSID throughout the house (no 2.4/5ghz or extended). Devices seem to connect switch seamlessly when I move from room to room. It automatically assigns 2.4 and 5Ghz based on the device. Also, being Wifi 6 and ability’s to add more satellites makes it future proof.

In the last 6 months of using it, I dont have any complaints. In total it powers about 40 devices in total in my house ( phones, tvs, consoles, watched, tablets, roomba, fridge, and other small iot devices)

Orbi is good , but expensive and placing the second orbi is crucial. If you have wider pathway and rooms ,then fine , if there is too much walls (thick) , then its going to be tough.

Guys I have a somewhat similar query.
At my farm, I currently only have a N single band router - TPLINK - WR941HP.
A 100ft away I have my cattle shed, where I want to install a couple of wireless CCTV cameras. Right now, I get around -66db at one end and around -78db at the other end of the shed. I was thinking that whether an extender makes more sense for me or should I go for a mesh wifi setup instead. I have no congestion issues like people have in cities and I know that a repeater/extender setup will half the bandwidth, but I only need this setup to support enough bandwidth which enables me to stream 1 or 2 cameras live feed.
I am guessing none of the popular wireless cameras support the 5Ghz band, so I should probably stick with a single band repeater considering that even my router is currently single band and also, I doubt the 5Ghz signal would reach that far.

A 100ft away I have my cattle shed, where I want to install a couple of wireless CCTV cameras. Right now, I get around -66db at one end and around -78db at the other end of the shed. I was thinking that whether an extender makes more sense for me or should I go for a mesh wifi setup instead. I have no congestion issues like people have in cities and I know that a repeater/extender setup will half the bandwidth, but I only need this setup to support enough bandwidth which enables me to stream 1 or 2 cameras live feed.
I am guessing none of the popular wireless cameras support the 5Ghz band, so I should probably stick with a single band repeater considering that even my router is currently single band and also, I doubt the 5Ghz signal would reach that far.
if you can run wire , it would be much better on long run. or get a repeater , since only cctv is going to access it. an old router will do the trick for repeaters job

Even if you go for a mesh wifi setup, do consider using a wired backhaul for best speeds, if possible. I will let other experienced members who are using mesh networks chime in with the rest.
Did you mean an ethernet cable connection between the mesh routers? Will that improve speeds over wireless?

Did you mean an ethernet cable connection between the mesh routers? Will that improve speeds over wireless?
It should provide stable connection for second orbi or mesh device .
Even though mine is working fine , there is occasional loss of signal.
coverage also very limited .. if i can run a cable between both , i can place the second orbi to a different position and have better coverage overall.

Are the cameras 5Ghz? Run a wire to the shed, you can run the wire inside metal pipe (water-proof plumbing) and bury it. Install another AP or wifi router in the shead, preferable choose a weather-proof (outdoor) unit for shed. Depending on the resolution and quality of your CCTV 5Ghz may not be required, remember 2.4Ghz travels further than the 5ghz. Install the cable and u can check with ur existing router after placing it in the shed.
I need to set up mesh Wi-Fi network for home. There are approximately 12-15 Wi-Fi devices including three 4k televisions. The use of this networking will be basic browsing, You tube and 4K Streaming via platforms like Netflix, primevideo.

the house is in two floors with approximate area of 5500 sqft per floor. the ISP is reliance JIO with a basic router providing 2.4Ghz WIFI. The router is situated at the corner of the house to keep visible wiring at bare minimum. At present using an Wi-Fi extender to cover the ground floor. The coverage in the upper floor is limited to one half with present coverage.

Wire is best even for smart TV. Wireless is best for truly **mobile** devices only. The wire can be installed on outside walls using coundict or internally (specially if done along with painting). Expensive to install but install once and enjoy for decades.. If the device has a network port, then I always prefer that to wifi.

Depending on you use, you can get wall plate/celing monut/wall mount access points. Take a look at https://www.tp-link.com/nl/omada-sdn/ for an inexpensive mesh for your wifi needs. You would need the Omada controller for easy management of multiple access points from a single interface.

Wire is best even for smart TV. Wireless is best for truly **mobile** devices only. The wire can be installed on outside walls using coundict or internally (specially if done along with painting). Expensive to install but install once and enjoy for decades..

Last edited:
Yes. Helps in better coverage and overall less wireless congestion. I don't have a mesh network, but even I could use my second router as a repeater, but having it wired and using as an AP provides much better service.

Do I need to look into Mesh routers if need consistent connectivity across rooms? The 5Ghz signal drops easily beyond line of sight and adjacent rooms.

Let me be the bearer of bad news. For your needs no mesh wifi will do the job. You’ll need Ethernet cables do distribute that signal if you wish to enjoy 4K. Use Mesh AP then on the independent Ethernet heads to extend your network (mainly for mobile devices). But your TVs must go on Ethernet. You may also upgrade to a gigabit router with jio.

While understanding 802.11s (mesh) vs 802.11r (fast roaming), the use of mesh with wired backhaul seems like redundant. In a wired backhaul, the APs should act without the 802.11s and should rather be on 802.11r. Correct me if my understanding is wrong ? If it is indeed correct, then you can spend on the wiring and then using cheap TP-Link APs with OpenWrt support in 802.11r mode. If wired backhaul isn't an option, you can use those APs in mesh mode 802.11s or WDS mode.

Recommending this since:
  • Cost-effective, you can add more OpenWrt supported hardware later (unless you are taking a Wi-Fi 6 option).
  • More control over your network and parameters.
  • Better software support, independent of the vendor's restriction. I am still using a 10-year-old router in its full glory.

While understanding 802.11s (mesh) vs 802.11r (fast roaming), the use of mesh with wired backhaul seems like redundant. In a wired backhaul, the APs should act without the 802.11s and should rather be on 802.11r. Correct me if my understanding is wrong ? If it is indeed correct, then you can spend on the wiring and then using cheap TP-Link APs with OpenWrt support in 802.11r mode. If wired backhaul isn't an option, you can use those APs in mesh mode 802.11s or WDS mode.

Recommending this since:
  • Cost-effective, you can add more OpenWrt supported hardware later (unless you are taking a Wi-Fi 6 option).
  • More control over your network and parameters.
  • Better software support, independent of the vendor's restriction. I am still using a 10-year-old router in its full glory.
Spot on bro. 802.11r with a wired backbone works best for me and allows to use both the 2 and 5 Ghz radios to best effect.

What did you buy?

May I suggest 802.11r
It's basically roaming on wifi and free.
So get good, cheap, openwrt compatible routers (or use the ones you own)
And save 20~30grand.
Provide you are prepared to put in some sweat and blood into it. :)

Edit: someone else above just did the same:banghead:

Last edited:
May I suggest 802.11r
It's basically roaming on wifi and free.
So get good, cheap, openwrt compatible routers (or use the ones you own)
And save 20~30grand.
Provide you are prepared to put in some sweat and blood into it. :)

Edit: someone else above just did the same:banghead:
Absolutely! Can put less sweat and blood XD, if all routers are same, by configuring one and then using the openwrt imagebuilder to make a custom firmware with our settings in-built. I prefer this method for some of my clients or friends who like to tinker with the router, because if the config gets messed up, they simply need to rest the router to factory defaults. I use a custom startup script to rename the router (hostname) at startup and enable DHCP client. OpenWRT makes regular commercial mesh routers seem rather expensive XD.

Let me be the bearer of bad news. For your needs no mesh wifi will do the job. You’ll need Ethernet cables do distribute that signal if you wish to enjoy 4K. Use Mesh AP then on the independent Ethernet heads to extend your network (mainly for mobile devices). But your TVs must go on Ethernet. You may also upgrade to a gigabit router with jio.

What bandwidth or download speeds do you need for 4K content like Netflix?

Back