Suggestions for a 1-Ton split AC

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Guys, please pour in your suggestions for a 1-ton split AC for a room of approx. dimensions 13" x 10" x 10" (LxBxH). Room has no windows to the outside but 2 doors which act as the only source of natural ventilation.

The requirement is pretty simple - since the room is directly beneath the terrace, we have had our share of agony during the last summer here at Surat. The temperatures during the day rises to almost 43~45'C tops and this heat is eventually transferred to the room later during the night. We have to reduce the heat to make it pleasant and thus the AC wouldn't be working more than 3~4 hours a day.

Budget - 20k. Can stretch it to 25k if the deal is worth it. Say from the tier-1 manufacturers such as Fujitsu General, Daikin, Carrier, Hitachi etc. although I don't think they would fall within the budget either. :p

Not sure if there is a huge difference in the ROI using a 4-star BEE rated AC over a 5-star model. The AC will not be used during winters and monsoons so it is going to be functional during Feb end to August.

Another query - we have a 1Ñ„ phase connection at home with no other heavy appliances being used. I suppose the AC can be used with such a connection? :ashamed:

TIA!

I got a couple of split ACs from Croma recently.

Croma Branded - Voltas OEM
1 Ton Split AC 5-Star rating ~23k
1.5 Ton Split AC 3-Star rating ~24k

bought the above ones. Croma also had Voltas branded ACs for almost the same rates. Both Hitachi and O'General 1 Ton with 5 Star rating were 32k+ at vijay sales. The energy conversion ratio of those models was even better than Croma 5 Star model, but if you are not going to use it for extended periods then you can practically ignore the ratings.

When comparing prices check whether the installation cost is included or not. I got it for free but had to pay 750 each for 2 mounting stands for the external units. The stands are not required if you have enough space to keep the outside unit stable.

-check pm later for few other details.

A single phase connection can handle a 2 ton AC and a 2000watt geyser at the same time .I have a single phase connection but have 2 meters one for each floor each can handle about 5000watt in theory but the fuse in power pole in the street is rated at 32A or equal to about 7300watt.
If your power consumption increases you may well be handed over a bill for extra load sanction.

You have to do the math whether the extra price of a five star A.C pays itself in the power savings vs a lower star one.
But since you use only 6 months a year , after 5 years the extra premium of 5 star still won't make up in power savings cost wise.
So you might as well get a 2 or 3 star one,unless of course you want to go green.

You may also paint the roof white or white wash it.I have done this and it helps a lot i haven't done the exact measurement but it should be cooler by atleast a degree which makes a huge difference.So if you switch on the fan the heat from the ceiling won't be sucked by the fan.
In noon i can actually walk on the roof bare foot after the white paint treatment,prior to that i had to wear foot wear.

^Thanks a lot Arun. That's a whole lot of thoughtful inputs there. Will definitely get hold of my roomie and paint the roof sometime this month. :)

@pr0ing, I'd personally avoid those Croma branded OEMs. Would like to stick to a proven model. Thanks for the inputs anyway. I would definitely require those stands to mount the exterior unit. Initially I thought of mounting them at the terrace itself but this would require 2 additional holes for the inlet/outlet lines of the refrigerant. Besides, I will have to keep the exterior unit covered from the sides and top to prevent the rain water from accumulating and causing further corrosion. :ashamed:

Update! Boiled down to 3 options based on the requirement:

1. Voltas Vertis Gold 0.75T - 5 star rated (decent pricing. The MRP reads 19k)

2. Carrier Estrella 1T - 5 star rated (no clue about the pricing. My bet is north of 20k since it is Carrier!).

3. Panasonic Cube 1.25T with remote - 2 star rated (a relatively newer model in the market, made for India, Japanese compressors, cheaper).

Got hold of a dealer who retails V-Guard lineup of stabilisers and chose to go with the VG400 model. No clue about the pricing though.

^Couldn't find any retailers dealing with Panasonic CUBE. Have zeroed it down to the Vertis Gold 0.75T.

Will know by the month-end. :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Oh yes and the roof was white-washed last weekend. :p

Finally got hold of the Panasonic CUBE 1.25T unit. Paid 16k INR inc. of installation but without the brackets. Don't need them anyway since the unit will be installed at the terrace. The unit is assembled at the Malaysia plant as the sticker outside the unit puts it. Price seems pretty good for an entry level model. None of the Croma outlets knew that Panasonic had launched such a unit here. This was from a Pana authorised dealer.

CS-ZC15MKY-1 (With Remote) | CUBE | Single Split Air Conditioner | Air Conditioner | Home Appliances | Products | Panasonic

Paid 1.7k INR for a V-Guard VG400 stabiliser unit. The installation should possible be done by tomorrow. Will update this thread later. :)

@ankit: There are several Voltas split units retailing for 14k and upwards. I think I saw one in the web with a 5 star rating, a compact indoor unit and costs 16k all inc. Not sure if the dealers stock these units.

In Pics the AC doesn't look good. It looks like a normal cooler.

And also because of it's sqaure shape would it be able to cover the room.

Sorry for the late update.

Well, as for the aircon, it does perform exceedingly well given the price it retails for. The unusual shape of the indoor unit had me run into few doubts initially.

Indoor unit: The indoor unit is fairly bulkier owing to the diagonal fan as opposed to the centrifugal fan found in the usual indoor units. There are 2 modes of operation - low and high. The unit is quiet when operating in low mode and noisier when operating in the high mode. The direction of flow cannot be controlled since the throw is from the large square vent in front of the unit and there are no louver arrangements here. The filter can be easily withdrawn from beneath the unit. Construction of the plastic is pretty good. Temperature of the AC can be controlled from 16'C to 30'C. At the lower left corner, we have the power button, a green LED power activity indicator and the remote sensor.

Outdoor unit: There are not many differences here compared to other units. The fan however is made of plastic (or fiber perhaps) and has only 2 blades. Most units have a 3-blade or 4-blade fans. Possibly cost reduction is evident here.

Remote control: Fairly barebone - the small LCD display indicates the temperature, 2 modes of flow (high & low) and the timer. The display cannot be switched off even when the AC is not under operation.

However, I have run into issues with the main wiring since the sub-meter for our house is a cheap low-quality make and the main AC supply inputs which are connected to the meter are having a loose contact. And this results in sparking and fuming when the compressor kicks in. I am sure, a 1-phase supply can easily take such loads and the single-stranded wires are pretty thick as well. Will be calling an electrician to diagnose and resolve this issue.

^The local EB does it for the main house init? In our case, we guys are stay put at the top-floor and in order to monitor our consumption separately, we have a sub-meter which is of a low-quality make. :(

I am betting the wiring is not the issue here since the same wire is used for a majority of homes in the same locality. Those loose connections at the meter is probably the culprit.

Yeah those sub meters too would have been installed by EB only so you can register a complaint and ask them to take a look as well. Don't risk using it with it sparking and all

You can check with Saiyan as well as to how he went about things, hes letting out some rooms in his house and should be using sub meters

^Nope not using the AC anyway. Just tested the unit once since the installers insisted on it. We have intimated the landlord and although he is a busy man, he said he would look into it.

Thanks for the input baatli. :)

Forgot to update! :ashamed:

The loose connection at the meter was the problem. The local electrician simply pushed the wire into the meter and the AC worked fine. Damn, me and my roomie has never had an awesome sleep in ages after coming to Surat. :D

Summer 2011, we've got Katrina endorsed AC powah! :devil2:

Congo !

I was wondering if this A/c can be mounted onto the ceiling. Are there any such installation instructions witht the booklet you got with it ?

Back