PC Peripherals Suggestions For A HTPC

Hello guys...

I told you guys that I finally got my PC right? Well thats not the end... I am planning on assembling a HTPC which can decode 1080p at its best by myself.

I wanna know what parts shall I get and from where (I live in New Delhi) for a HD HTPC...

Basically here is what I already have...

1. Monitor: 46 inch 1080p Full HD TV.
2. 4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM.
3. OS: Linux

Which version of Linux shall I get for the HTPC?

I want the computer to decode and encode 1080p videos without any problem. What all shall I get then? Also... everything should be compatible with Linux...

Thanks
Crazysah

Since youll use it with linux , an nVIDIA card is better

i say go for a 9600GT

you can use any version of linux for decoding HD content , the only thing you need is the x264 codec which is already bundled in linux mint so you can use MINT

Crazysah said:
Nah... then I will stick to Linux MCE or MythTV!
Well after reading the wiki's i came to know that you can add codecs and create a custom ISO , ill try running an HD file on my PC and report if it works

manu1991 said:
Since youll use it with linux , an nVIDIA card is better

i say go for a 9600GT

you can use any version of linux for decoding HD content , the only thing you need is the x264 codec which is already bundled in linux mint so you can use MINT

now thats overkill :p

E2140/2160 (cheaper one) <2.5k

biostar/other 7050 board / jetway 945 - 2.2k

case - zebronics cube. chaos got one ~2k

HDD - biggest u can afford ;)

Graphics - 8600GT. ~5k. As per anandtech thats the min u need for full decode support. n so long as u dont intend to game much (it being an HTPC ;) )it ll b fine :)

PSU: basic powersafe gold 400W ~ 1.3k

What did i miss?

I am looking at a little bit better than that techie_007.

I have a larger budget than that too...

Also shashank... I don't want Windows MCE. I wanna try out Linux!

With a large budget it would make sense to go for Vista Home Premium. Its your choice on the OS and the config.

But the higher you go on the config, the faster the smaller chassis goes off the equation. The configuration given by techie is more than enough as the GPU takes the load off the CPU while decoding.
If you want to you can opt for a quadcore cpu and a faster GPU like the 9600GT. But that would make sense if you plan on using the htpc for gaming, 3d work etc..
I

Crazysah said:
I am looking at a little bit better than that techie_007.

I have a larger budget than that too...

Also shashank... I don't want Windows MCE. I wanna try out Linux!

but the question is: WHY? :p

thats all u need for an HTPC. why wud u want to spend more than u need to?

in computers u can spend as much as u like. it all comes down to wat u need.

Else:

Q9300

X48Mobo

8Gb DDR3 RAM

some really blingbling case

1Tb drives in RAID0

I for got blu ray.

+ 9800GX2 SLI for that cool HD watching/decode experience :rofl:

seriously dude, thats all u need. .........

Don't buy nvidia cards for HTPC (at least not after 6XXX series)

all are plagued with poor driver support for HTPC purpose.

Visit their forum n you will see (this issue is pending from last year april/may)...I have learned this hard way having 8800gt and can't connect my TV to my PC ...

whereas 9200SE is easy n good to connect with my CRT TV

knowing you kiddo, I swear you are better off with Vista/XP

No offense, but if you needed handholding for removing a typo at the end of a URL earlier in this thread, I can imagine the kind of hard times you will face trying to do non run-of-the-mill stuff on Linux

So far...

1. Monitor: 46 inch 1080p Full HD TV. Price - Rs. 0
2. 4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM. Rs. 0
3. OS: Linux or Windows Home Premium. Price - ?
4. CPU: Intel Q6600. Price - ?
5. Motherboard: ?
6. Internal Hard Drive: ?
7. Graphics Card: ?
8. Wireless Mouse/Keyboard Combo: ?
9. Anything else needed: ?

Crazysah

Why Why Why!

1. Why a Quadcore processor for a HTPC? Do you want a silent HT PC or do you want something that sounds as loud as your speakers and is bigger than most of them?!?!?
2. Why a gaming card for a HTPC?!!?!

What to get:
1. Light and cool-running components.
2. The E2180 or even the E8200 is a great place to begin with. The 45nm E8200 with 6MB of cache and 2.66ghz of speed will run supercool and silent with that chottu heatsink of its.
3. ATi HD 3650 or even the 3450. Single-slot cooler, more gaming power than an 8600GT...and great UVD performance.
4. Please invest all the good money in a solid HTPC cabinet from Antec or another known brand.
5. Get a single platter 320GB hard-drive or the new dual-platter 640GB WD.
6. Keyboard/Mouse - tons of options out there but do not settle for the base versions of the wireless combos. They aren't that good. :)

Out.
Payne

Back