Budget 10-15K Suggestions for a Mobile

Looking for a mobile, currently have a Samsung J7, looking for a direct replacement. Particular things that I want -

Size,Shape
Physical layout (including front face buttons)
Volume button

Saw some mobiles that are available now but not sure on the volume button as the J7 has the volume button on the left side of the phone viewed from the front. Many phones have two buttons on the right side, I am assuming that one of these is the volume button?

Use case -

Calls,SMS/Messaging service and remote usage for controlling programs on the PC (this is the primary use case other than calls), Volume button is MUST have and non negotiable. This requires Wifi.

I have selected the Samsung A04 as seemingly the modern replacement and seems to meet my criteria but I am not sure about a volume button here. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Fringe use -

All Occasional - picture for practical work from camera, browsing/email, listening to music (local storage), downloading some apps/programs

Nice to have -

Non bloated phone in terms of software

Budget -

As minimal as necessary. I have selected 10-15k as that is what the J7 cost and I am looking for a similar "no frills" phone. I am willing to pay more if necessary.

I was a bit confused by front facing. By front facing do you mean these?

1716729174944.png

If so, omega is right, they don't exist anymore.

@Decadent_Spectre
  1. Most of new Samsung phone have right side buttons , left side Sim Tray only.
  2. Also consider right side mounted fingerprint sensor.
  3. Oppo (old model) have Left Side volume Button
  4. (good if you can take help from Google & YouTube Review) of that particular model
  5. You can debloat any phone to some extent so Don't go with STOCK ANDROID phones, as you will miss Samsung UI or other non Samsung UI
  6. I have had stock android phone for 3-4 yrs. and now with Samsung and believe me I'm not missing that Stock Android phone
  7. if have budget and plan to use long term than select 6GB or 8GB RAM (128/256 ROM), as 4GB RAM & 64GB ROM (Samsung A04) no more good to buy now
  8. Go with FHD or IPS Display or higher ...

Moto G64 should be a good choice, check it in FK.

Front facing buttons don't exist anymore as front is completely covered by the display. Volume button exists on almost all phones.

I had a look but not sure about the volume button on this. Can you please tell me if one of the right side buton on the Samsung phones are the volume button? I googled and found this which seems to say it is - https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-306354/

Based on this and some googling suggests the S24 is similar in size and shape to the J7, also weight. Is there a similar Samsung phone with volume button and same size and others? If so please let me know as while I am willing to buy this, if there is a cheaper option it is preferred.

I was a bit confused by front facing. By front facing do you mean these?

View attachment 197781

If so, omega is right, they don't exist anymore.

Yes that is what I meant.

@Decadent_Spectre
  1. Most of new Samsung phone have right side buttons , left side Sim Tray only.
  2. Also consider right side mounted fingerprint sensor.
  3. Oppo (old model) have Left Side volume Button
  4. (good if you can take help from Google & YouTube Review) of that particular model
  5. You can debloat any phone to some extent so Don't go with STOCK ANDROID phones, as you will miss Samsung UI or other non Samsung UI
  6. I have had stock android phone for 3-4 yrs. and now with Samsung and believe me I'm not missing that Stock Android phone
  7. if have budget and plan to use long term than select 6GB or 8GB RAM (128/256 ROM), as 4GB RAM & 64GB ROM (Samsung A04) no more good to buy now
  8. Go with FHD or IPS Display or higher ...

Thank you for the input.

If someone could please confirm about the Samsung volume button that would be most helpful. If there is a cheaper alternative that too would help, if not I will buy the S24 and as it is confirmed to have a volume button and as per searches is almost the same size/weight as the J7.

There are no longer smartphones which comes in size of your J7 which is 5.5 inch.

You mentioned budget of 10-15K but thinking of buying S24 (I presume you mean Samsung Galaxy S24) which costs nearly 80,000!!! :rolleyes: just for volume buttons?

In your budget of 10-15K currently the best smartphone will be Samsung Galaxy F34 which is available at Rs 12,999 on Flipkart, overall a very good phone for the price.

It has volume buttons on the right side.

Plus Super AMOLED Display, 6000 mAh battery, OIS Camera, 4 year of android and 5 year of security updates.

Does not come with charger though, you will have to buy separately.

There are no longer smartphones which comes in size of your J7 which is 5.5 inch.

You mentioned budget of 10-15K but thinking of buying S24 (I presume you mean Samsung Galaxy S24) which costs nearly 80,000!!! :rolleyes: just for volume buttons?

In your budget of 10-15K currently the best smartphone will be Samsung Galaxy F34 which is available at Rs 12,999 on Flipkart, overall a very good phone for the price.

It has volume buttons on the right side.

Plus Super AMOLED Display, 6000 mAh battery, OIS Camera, 4 year of android and 5 year of security updates.

Does not come with charger though, you will have to buy separately.

The S24 is similar.

Correct.

I don't really care whether it is a good phone or not. My purpose is calls and remote use from the PC, for this I need a volume button and Wifi, the rest I don't care about. I will of course look into this model that you mention to see if it is a better fit than the S24. Thank you for the option.

Extremely grateful for this information. Are you referring to the S24 or the model you mention or both? Or all Samsung phones?

All this doesn't matter to me.

Doesn't matter, will buy charger.

I had a look but not sure about the volume button on this. Can you please tell me if one of the right side buton on the Samsung phones are the volume button? I googled and found this which seems to say it is - https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-306354/

Based on this and some googling suggests the S24 is similar in size and shape to the J7, also weight. Is there a similar Samsung phone with volume button and same size and others? If so please let me know as while I am willing to buy this, if there is a cheaper option it is preferred.

Yes that is what I meant.

Thank you for the input.

If someone could please confirm about the Samsung volume button that would be most helpful. If there is a cheaper alternative that too would help, if not I will buy the S24 and as it is confirmed to have a volume button and as per searches is almost the same size/weight as the J7.
Almost all phones have a physical volume button now. I didn't say "all" because there might be some outlier, some unpopular phone.

If you can increase your budget, get S23 256GB for 50k instead of S24. No 3.5mm jack. S24 has exynos which is inefficient but Samsung made up for the inefficient SoC with LTPO panel & bigger battery. Considering India is a hot country, S24 is more likely to throttle & heat up more in demanding cases, like say using maps on a hot day on 5G.

F34, S24 both, all Samsung smartphones and almost all current android smartphones have volume buttons and WiFi.

Thank you.

@Decadent_Spectre

do you plan to use mobile as WiFi for internet connection to PC for 6-8 hrs. everyday than none of the phone could last more than 6-12 months.

You misunderstood I think. I want to use the phone to control programs on the PC, not use it for internet connection.

Almost all phones have a physical volume button now. I didn't say "all" because there might be some outlier, some unpopular phone.

If you can increase your budget, get S23 256GB for 50k instead of S24. No 3.5mm jack. S24 has exynos which is inefficient but Samsung made up for the inefficient SoC with LTPO panel & bigger battery. Considering India is a hot country, S24 is more likely to throttle & heat up more in demanding cases, like say using maps on a hot day on 5G.

I see. It seems then that they have changed the location.

From what I read both the S23 and 24 don't have a 3.5 mm jack. Besides that isn't important to me. I will consider the S23 too, it seems okay. The other things like processor are unimportant and doesn't matter to me. If these phones have volume button, I will take a closer look at their physical size and layout as none of them have front face buttons. Thank you for offering appropriate information.

Back