Storage Solutions Suggestions for a new DVD writer

Emil

Skilled
My 1.5 year old Liteon writer is giving me trouble. The tray opens only when I open the writer casing and poke around a bit.

It is time for a new one.

So which one?

Basic requirements:

Rough and tough

Black colour

Reliable for Moser Baer media

Bells and whistles (highest speed, LS, etc) not essential.

Present one is IDE so I don't need anything more if the new one is a IDE. However, if the new one is a SATA, I have the port available but I will need the cables (power and sata). Is the drive supplied with cables?

Get any Samsung, LG 22x drive.
IDE versions maybe in stock but am not aware as most are on SATA drives/HDDs with SATA power connector native on their psus. :)
Most burners are so so nowadays- cannot pick a single gem like ealier i think.
One Samsung SH223 i had bought works great still but was as noisy as 2 skeletons making love on a vacuum cleaner. :|
The LG GH22NS30 seems like a decent drive though.
And if you get a boxed one, they usually have a molex>sata convertor and a sata data cable bundled with the drive.
Emil said:
Reliable for Moser Baer media
Most drives are usually reliable these days.
Can we say the same about MB media? :p

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Get any Samsung, LG 22x drive.
IDE versions maybe in stock but am not aware as most are on SATA drives/HDDs with SATA power connector native on their psus. :)
Most burners are so so nowadays- cannot pick a single gem like ealier i think.
One Samsung SH223 i had bought works great still but was as noisy as 2 skeletons making love on a vacuum cleaner. :|
The LG GH22NS30 seems like a decent drive though.
And if you get a boxed one, they usually have a molex>sata convertor and a sata data cable bundled with the drive.

Most drives are usually realiable these days.
Can we say the same about MB media? :p
Thanks Bikey. You are quite talented with metaphors I see. This is not the first time I have heard about the noise of the Samsung but it is certainly one of the best descriptions. I think I'll go with the LG. Does the boxed one come at a much higher price or is it better than buying the OEM + two cables separately?

what about sony dvd writers.. i have the 810dru something IDE 18x max.... Wrote about 800 DVD.. (no seriously).. still going on....

regards
TJ

The Sony Optiarc AD-7200/AD-7201/AD-7203/DRU-V200 is supposed to be one of the best DVD writers around.

Only thing is it is not available in India, so I ordered one from eBay UK for approx 1500.

^^ Get the facts cleared out first.

Sony does not manufactures its own writers. Most Sony writers are sourced from diff manufacturers.

Wen i had got my sony writer, it was from Liteon with sony firmware, and yes it had tray problems.

The situation will change with diff manufacturer.

Emil said:
Does the boxed one come at a much higher price or is it better than buying the OEM + two cables separately?

Well- i had asked the dealer to send me a black LG DVD writer.

It came in a box, had a spare white bezel/face plate, instruction leaflet and sata cable for power and data in a plastic bag and some screws.

(Usual stuff i guess).

Costed me 1100/- odd always- give or take 50 bucks- whether Samsung or LG.

And somehow i always got boxed drives from my dealer for seemingly no extra price over what was mentioned on TE or elsewhere. :)

neomustdie said:
what about sony dvd writers.. i have the 810dru something IDE 18x max.... Wrote about 800 DVD.. (no seriously).. still going on....

regards

TJ

Oi. Sony DRU 810 aka Benq DW1640- the bestest. :p

One friend borrowed my 2-yr old 1640 and nicely threw it away just coz it had tray issues at random- else worked fine. :|

I hate lamers who don't know the worth of stuff.

They will grab some burner and then come cribbing that some discs are not read, etc etc.

MohitPreet said:
buy lg only

the sony ones have tray out problems after some time!

You can't be so general with that remark.

Sony drives usually have shown very good tray life in my case- maybe depends on usage and how one uses.

I still have a 2+ years old DRU820- smooth and slow while open/close and not noisy- just the way i like it.

New drives these days are too fast and close with a little slam/thud- sucks. :p
It was usually Sammy drives that develop tray issues within months of use.

New ones like SH203/223 fare better i think and are quite ok for daily use, with seemingly no issues even with cheap media.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Well- i had asked the dealer to send me a black LG DVD writer.

It came in a box, had a spare white bezel/face plate, instruction leaflet and sata cable for power and data in a plastic bag and some screws.

(Usual stuff i guess).

Costed me 1100/- odd always- give or take 50 bucks- whether Samsung or LG.

And somehow i always got boxed drives from my dealer for seemingly no extra price over what was mentioned on TE or elsewhere. :)

Oi. Sony DRU 810 aka Benq DW1640- the bestest. :p

One friend borrowed my 2-yr old 1640 and nicely threw it away just coz it had tray issues at random- else worked fine. :|

I hate lamers who don't know the worth of stuff.

They will grab some burner and then come cribbing that some discs are not read, etc etc.

You can't be so general with that remark.

Sony drives usually have shown very good tray life in my case- maybe depends on usage and how one uses.

I still have a 2+ years old DRU820- smooth and slow while open/close and not noisy- just the way i like it.

New drives these days are too fast and close with a little slam/thud- sucks. :p
It was usually Sammy drives that develop tray issues within months of use.

New ones like SH203/223 fare better i think and are quite ok for daily use, with seemingly no issues even with cheap media.

yes we can never generalise anything

i particularly had 2 sony dvd writers and both had tray problems

the lg one is working like a charm even though its older

Thanks guys for all the help. I have ordered an LG from Prime today. Price Rs. 1050/- and he says it will be box packed. But he also said it doesn't come with cables so I ordered a SATA data cable too. Lets see when I get it.

I got My LG abt 2 weeks back.

LG GH22NP20 .

Not Box packed, and No cables for me either. Got it for 1040/- .

So u seem to have got similar deal.

Spacescreamer said:
I got My LG abt 2 weeks back.
LG GH22NP20 .
Not Box packed, and No cables for me either. Got it for 1040/- .
So u seem to have got similar deal.

Mine came box packed. No data cables but it had one molex to Sata power cable. As Bikey said, it came with a spare white bezel too.

now that u have mentioned it.. this seems to be a curious case.

I paid abt similar amount as u did.. and still the diff in the content as well as packing..

Also i been getting reports that stuff in Mumbai is not cheaper as compared to the NCR region.

Gets me down to thinking why didn they supplied me with the other contents as well.. and how am i gonna get that thing drilled in their brains..?

The Samsung SH203 and a 223 i had bought didn't have an extra bezel but had a data and molex>sata power cable for sure. :)

What's the nmodel number of your drive Emil and how does it seem at first impressions? :)

I have my Sony 820 and it works like a charm even now. Have burned more than 500 discs :) No tray problem too. Only prob is it doesn't work well with the Nero Drive info !!

Emil said:
Thanks guys for all the help. I have ordered an LG from Prime today. Price Rs. 1050/- and he says it will be box packed. But he also said it doesn't come with cables so I ordered a SATA data cable too. Lets see when I get it.

The Prime site shows a dud as Search results for LG DVD Writers. How did you order - in person or over phone ?

Am based in Assam & am looking to buy the LG GSA H55N model online.

Back