Suggestions for DD3 RAM for desktop

Hi all,

I have an old desktop setup built in 2013, with Intel i3-3220 CPU. Currently, it has 4GB of DD3 RAM 1333 by Corsair. The desktop runs Windows 10 32-bit.

The PC runs fine, but slows down often. I was thinking of going for a new build in near future, but looking at uncertainty of Windows, with rumor of Windows 12 early next year, and also with Intel's new processors coming next year too, I have decided to wait it out and see what 2024 brings.

I am still running Windows 32-bit. I was thinking of switching over to Windows 10 64-bit. What should be the amount of RAM for running Windows 10 64-bit? Will 8GB be enough, or should I go higher?

I was looking at Corsair 4GB DD3 RAM, and it costs over 2800, that's quite costly :/. I have the vendor qualified list of memory modules for the Gigabyte motherboard that I use. So, I can search and look for some cheaper alternatives from that list.

First, I will need to know what amount of extra RAM I will need, and then I can ask for which RAM make I should go for.

Minimum requirements say 2GB for Windows 10 64bit; 8GB should be fine for normal usage.

Usually, not a good idea to run RAM modules with different frequencies & timings. Best case, it'd work in the lowest supported setting; worst case, won't work at all. It depends on the motherboard. So try looking for the exact module, or at least same spec that you already have.

Hi all,

I have an old desktop setup built in 2013, with Intel i3-3220 CPU. Currently, it has 4GB of DD3 RAM 1333 by Corsair. The desktop runs Windows 10 32-bit.

The PC runs fine, but slows down often. I was thinking of going for a new build in near future, but looking at uncertainty of Windows, with rumor of Windows 12 early next year, and also with Intel's new processors coming next year too, I have decided to wait it out and see what 2024 brings.

I am still running Windows 32-bit. I was thinking of switching over to Windows 10 64-bit. What should be the amount of RAM for running Windows 10 64-bit? Will 8GB be enough, or should I go higher?

I was looking at Corsair 4GB DD3 RAM, and it costs over 2800, that's quite costly :/. I have the vendor qualified list of memory modules for the Gigabyte motherboard that I use. So, I can search and look for some cheaper alternatives from that list.

First, I will need to know what amount of extra RAM I will need, and then I can ask for which RAM make I should go for.
Don't use the QVL. You'll not find anything from the QVL that's still being sold. OEMs only test a few kits, mostly higher end, and the list is outdated very quickly and doesn't get updated.

https://mdcomputers.in/silicon-power-4gb-ddr3l-1600mhz-sp004glltu160n02.html MD has SP 4GB, and National PC has some DDR3 RAM in their open box list but without prices. You'll need to check with them for the product condition and prices. https://techenclave.com/threads/openbox-products.210002/post-2488614

8GB should be enough for you, unless you like to leave a lot of Chrome tabs open, in which case 16 is probably better.

Additional 8GB should be good enough.
And here it is just for Rs 699 :D
8GB DDR3 Desktop RAM
Additional 8 GB or total 8 GB lol

Minimum requirements say 2GB for Windows 10 64bit; 8GB should be fine for normal usage.
8 GB total RAM, right?

2GB for 64-bit Windows 10, that's odd. And yea, I confirmed it by searching. I thought 2GB was minimum for Windows 32-bit and 4GB was minimum for Windows 64-bit.

My relatives had bought a Sony laptop with 2GB of RAM with Windows 10 64-bit installed. It ran horribly slow. Should be atleast 4GB for 64-bit. 8GB should be good.

Usually, not a good idea to run RAM modules with different frequencies & timings. Best case, it'd work in the lowest supported setting; worst case, won't work at all. It depends on the motherboard. So try looking for the exact module, or at least same spec that you already have.
Yea, true. But, if I go for exact RAM module, I will have to go with Corsair model and thats so costly. Will go for a different make, but with same technical specs.

Do you have an SSD for boot drive? If you're still using an HDD for booting then no amount of RAM can make your system faster.
Prioritize buying an SSD in that case.
I don't have an SSD... it is just the SATA internal HDD. I think the amount of RAM should help, atleast if I switch over to 64-bit, even for 32-bit. Systems ran faster before, even without SSD. I do agree that SSD will make it faster.

How much will a good quality SSD cost me? And how big an SSD should I buy?

What is the average life of an SSD? I hope they are reliable, and don't die soon, or randomly.

Don't use the QVL. You'll not find anything from the QVL that's still being sold. OEMs only test a few kits, mostly higher end, and the list is outdated very quickly and doesn't get updated.
The motherboard is very old anyways, so I don't think updated QVL is required. I had a glance at the QVL, and it showed products which are available, so I will go by that.

https://mdcomputers.in/silicon-power-4gb-ddr3l-1600mhz-sp004glltu160n02.html MD has SP 4GB, and National PC has some DDR3 RAM in their open box list but without prices. You'll need to check with them for the product condition and prices. https://techenclave.com/threads/openbox-products.210002/post-2488614
I don't know the brands that u have mentioned.

What's this open box thing?

8GB should be enough for you, unless you like to leave a lot of Chrome tabs open, in which case 16 is probably better.
I don't use Chrome, and I don't like it. I use Firefox, and I am not much of a heavy tab user.

I don't know the brands that u have mentioned.

What's this open box thing?
I only mentioned one brand - SP or Silicon Power.

Open box is a customer returned something after opening the box but without using it. Usually a bit cheaper than brand new, it can be hit or miss but national PC has a pretty good rep and they can test before shipping.

Btw, which RAM that is present in the QVL do you see in stock, and where?

I don't have an SSD... it is just the SATA internal HDD. I think the amount of RAM should help, atleast if I switch over to 64-bit, even for 32-bit. Systems ran faster before, even without SSD. I do agree that SSD will make it faster.
The performance boost that you would get out of just moving to a SSD alone would be worth it. Go with any reliable brand. Consider keeping regular backups of your data and you should be fine.

How much will a good quality SSD cost me? And how big an SSD should I buy?

What is the average life of an SSD? I hope they are reliable, and don't die soon, or randomly.
Dude, SSD will make your system blazing fast even without a RAM upgrade.
Having more RAM means you can open more applications at once. It's not gonna make the system faster, that's the CPU and storage.

You have a tremendous bottleneck with HDD.

As pointed above get the SSD. If your budget is tight, buy Crucial BX500 250GB just for windows and applications. Do your other storage on the HDD.

SSDs have come a long way and are pretty reliable now.

I only mentioned one brand - SP or Silicon Power.
Okay, I saw that in QVL, and it is available on Amazon too.

Open box is a customer returned something after opening the box but without using it. Usually a bit cheaper than brand new, it can be hit or miss but national PC has a pretty good rep and they can test before shipping.
Nah, I would rather buy new and be relaxed, rather than take a chance like that.

Btw, which RAM that is present in the QVL do you see in stock, and where?
I saw from Samsung, S-Power, Corsair, Kingston... I will search for more brands in QVL.

The performance boost that you would get out of just moving to a SSD alone would be worth it. Go with any reliable brand. Consider keeping regular backups of your data and you should be fine.
Hmm. Suggest me some good brands then. I might consider moving to SSD, because I was thinking of buying a new internal HDD in future anyways... so why not SSD.

I do keep backups, not regular, but yea, randomly.

Dude, SSD will make your system blazing fast even without a RAM upgrade.
Having more RAM means you can open more applications at once. It's not gonna make the system faster, that's the CPU and storage.

You have a tremendous bottleneck with HDD.

As pointed above get the SSD. If your budget is tight, buy Crucial BX500 250GB just for windows and applications. Do your other storage on the HDD.

SSDs have come a long way and are pretty reliable now.
Yea, 250 GB will be enough for me, as I don't install many software. I have kept OS drive as 250 GB right now, and it is still 85GB free, and I do have a bit of personal data in My Documents, otherwise I do keep my maximum data in other partitions of the HDD.

But, if 500GB will be available at a reasonable price, I can go for that too, as an investment, because it will be good even when I go for a new desktop setup.

Please suggest me some good, budget friendly SSD brands, 250 GB or 500 GB.

Hmm. Suggest me some good brands then. I might consider moving to SSD, because I was thinking of buying a new internal HDD in future anyways... so why not SSD.
The difference between the prices of HDD and SSDs have gone down drastically and in some cases you would find the HDDs are costlier. Any reliable brand like WD, Samsung, Crucial, Silicon Power will do. Get one within your use case and budget.

I saw from Samsung, S-Power, Corsair, Kingston... I will search for more brands in QVL.
No, I mean, these will definitely be in the QVL, but do you actually see them in stock anywhere? I recently bought a couple of sticks of DDR3, and afaik most DDR3 SKUs are either not in stock or really overpriced. Only the lower tier companies like EVM and consistent have stock that's cheap. A few listings of Samsung and Hynix on Amazon are unknown sellers, dunno how much they can be relied on.

Also, like others said, +1 to moving to an SSD asap. check onlyssd.com for prices, they're mostly cheaper than amazon and cheaper than other independent retailers.
Crucial BX500 will do just fine as an upgrade, MX500 if you want to spend a bit more money for DRAM cache.

Back