PC Peripherals Suggestions for Gaming Mouse

abanchii

Recruit
Hello guys,

Recently, I have been facing a lot of issue with my 5 year old Microsoft's Basic Optical Mouse 1.0. like frequent USB disconnection and clicking problems. I have also been using Microsoft's Optical Wheel Mouse 1.1 which is still in decent working condition after almost 9 years.

I'm planning to get a decent gaming mouse for myself which would compliment my new Alienware m14x. I play various kinds of games like Battlefield 3, Assassins Creed, Witcher 2, Max Payne, World of Warcraft, DOTA, etc. and is not limited to any specific genre of gaming. I am a right handed gamer and have been using the palm grip for quite a long time with the Microsoft mice and am really not that well accustomed with the claw grip style. Also, this mouse will not only be for gaming, but I''l also be using for documents, internet, photoshop, etc.

I have done a fair amount of research online and have finalized on the five following mice. As per my understanding I have also given what I feel are the pros & cons of each product below each of them respectively.

1. Logitech Gaming Mouse G400​

Probably the best budget gaming mouse out there with 8 programmable buttons. The direct descendent of MX518, which is a classic. Logitech provides 3 years warrant. However, lot of people have been facing USB disconnection issues with the frail cord.​

2. Cooler Master CM Storm Xornet​

The reviews I have read of the this product are really great. But since Cooler Master is new into mice compared to its competitors its not getting its fair amount of attention. Also this mouse is intended for claw grip users. Warranty provided is for only 1 year.​

3. SteelSeries Kinzu​

I guess the most simple looking symmetrical mouse out there, however with no extra programmable buttons. This mouse have been used by a lot of famous CS gamers and has been a favorite amongst a lot of other users. From the online reviews, I found out that this mouse has a few firmware bugs which makes it lag and gives it some acceleration issues. Warranty for this one is also 1 year.​

4. Razer DeathAdder​

One of the favorite mice of FPS players. This mouse has been there for quite some time and has almost no issues with it. Comes with gold plated USB connector and braided cord. However, Razer only provides 1 year warranty.​

5. Roccat Kova[+]​

This one is also a symmetrical mouse and has also received good review. Comes with a combination of lights and looks cool. But the company doesn't provide any diver CD along with it and you have program the mouse using a combination of buttons present on the mouse. Also, comes with only 1 year warrant.​

I understand that prediction / angle snapping is not a desired feature for gaming, however, the same might be required for daily activities other than gaming. Is there a feature like activating / deactivating the prediction of a mouse, if so, which for the above ones are capable of it.

Please note that, all the above comments are my own opinion and might be drastically different from other readers. I just want your feedback / comments / experiences / suggestions to enable me to buy the best one for my needs. Also please feel free to suggest any other better mice which might fall in this price range.

Thanks in advance.

If you can spend a bit higher, Corsair Vengeance M60 is also a good product.

Logitech G400: The new MX518. Price/features/warranty wise the best you can get.

Razer DA: Using it personally. Many guys have reported double click issues with it. I havent yet (touchwood). Warranty given by most dealers in India is only one year.

4. Razer DeathAdder​
One of the favorite mice of FPS players. This mouse has been there for quite some time and has almost no issues with it.​
I've used 2 DAs before, one from the previous generation and the other from the current generation, and both the devices conked out due to the dreaded double-click issue - single clicks register as double clicks. And this happened after a prolonged usage in a year. Fortunately both were under warranty and I happened to replace it. I am using the replacement of the second DA now and *touchwood* it hasn't given me any issues till date. But yes, the issues still persist in the newer lots. There is a temporary workaround using a few drops of WD40 but there's no guarantee that it'd fix the issue forever. I'd advise you to stay away from the DA.

You could consider Corsair's devices as well. Vengeance M60/M90. They've got some fairly good reviews and Corsair's customer support in the country is simply unmatched.

EDIT: ninja'd!

I have used various mice from both SS and Razer (Kinzu, Ikari optical, DA 3500, diamondback and salmosa). 4 of those mice excluding the salmosa had issues within a year of purchase.
The only mouse that stood the test of time for me was the MX518. Logitech ftw.
My Ikari atm double clicks randomly and registers Mouse 3 clicks thrice. So if i middle click to open a new link in another window, it opens three windows. Good thing there are members like Greenhorn here who buy efed up mice :).
The only thing to buy from these manufacturers for me are cheap keyboards or mouse pads, besides it's the gamer not the gear and also i play at higher sensitivities now so higher dpi's aren't really for me- besides they are just for marketing purposes.
Forgot i also have a 9 year old Intellipoint 1.1 which still works flawlessly. They don't make products like these anymore.

OP you can go for these eyes closed-
Logitech G400-1.8k[Palm Grip,Great built quality by logitech,3 years warranty]
Corsair Vengeance M60-3k[Comfortable Grip,Great built quality,Adjustable Weight,Great A.S.S by corsair]
As described above users here on TE itself have had many Razer DA problems,So it's better to avoid it,Also it only has 1 year warranty.
For mouse pad these are good option-
Roccat Sense-0.6k
Razer Goliatus Control edition[M]-0.7k
Rantopad H3-0.5k
Hope this helps.:)

@abanchii, firstly I would like to welcome you to the forum. Hope you have a pleasant stay and we can help you with your problems.

Now about your mouse query, for a Palm-Grip mouse you can look at the following --

LOGITECH G400 ~1700/-
PRO's --
  • LOGITECH has been using this design since the MX500 days and is preferred by many right-handed gamers;
  • fastest OPTICAL sensor in the sub ~2500/- category -- 3600dpi;
  • LOGITECH has nailed the drivers to perfection;
  • plenty of extra buttons.

CON's --
  • rudimentary profile system, with no means to differentiate between different profiles;
  • iffy scroll wheel.

LOGITECH G500 ~3200/-
PRO's --
  • another of LOGITECH's famous MX spawned designs;
  • very, very fast LASER sensor ~5400dpi;
  • includes a weight adjustment system.

CON's --
  • iffy scroll wheel and thumb buttons;
  • falls very close to the Corsair Vengeance M60 in price.

Corsair Vengeance M60 ~3000/-
PRO's --
  • best build quality at the price point, only the R.A.T. series comes close;
  • crazy fast LASER sensor ~5700dpi;
  • rudimentary weight adjustment system;
  • comes with multiple profile support on mouse memory.

CON's --
  • none that I can think of.

SteelSeries Kinzu ~1400/-
PRO's
  • cheap;
  • adequately built, though I will not call it robustly built;
  • good finish and a simple button layout mean focus on the core functionality of the product.

CON's --
  • SteelSeries drivers are very weak [my point of view];
  • Lack of features like onboard memory profiles;
  • no extra buttons;
  • very poor support in India with only 1 year Limited Warranty, that also only in major metros.

Roccat Kova[+] is not available in India as far as I know.

Rest of the mice you listed are either not oriented to the palm-grip [Cooler Master STORM Xornet] OR have a history of problems behind them [Razer Deathadder]. So I have not recommended those.

LOGITECH offer's 3 years Limited Warranty on all its products [as far as I am aware] and the after sales system is pretty decent even after being run by Rashi.

Corsair offers 2 years Limited Warranty on its Vengeance gaming line-up.

For gaming surfaces stick to --

Razer Goliathus Control edition ~700/- [for a medium sized mat] OR ~1100/- [for Xtra-large mat];
Cooler Master Storm Tactics DC-M ~700/- [for a medium size mat]
Rantopad H3 [Speed / Control] ~500/- [for a medium size mat]

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Razer DA: Using it personally. Many guys have reported double click issues with it. I havent yet (touchwood). Warranty given by most dealers in India is only one year.

I've used 2 DAs before, one from the previous generation and the other from the current generation, and both the devices conked out due to the dreaded double-click issue - single clicks register as double clicks. And this happened after a prolonged usage in a year. Fortunately both were under warranty and I happened to replace it. I am using the replacement of the second DA now and *touchwood* it hasn't given me any issues till date. But yes, the issues still persist in the newer lots. There is a temporary workaround using a few drops of WD40 but there's no guarantee that it'd fix the issue forever. I'd advise you to stay away from the DA.

Had checked quite a few reviews of the Deathadder, but none of them mentioned about the serious double click issue with the device. Thanks for the heads-up.

My Ikari atm double clicks randomly and registers Mouse 3 clicks thrice. So if i middle click to open a new link in another window, it opens three windows. Good thing there are members like Greenhorn here who buy efed up mice :).
The only thing to buy from these manufacturers for me are cheap keyboards or mouse pads, besides it's the gamer not the gear and also i play at higher sensitivities now so higher dpi's aren't really for me- besides they are just for marketing purposes.
Forgot i also have a 9 year old Intellipoint 1.1 which still works flawlessly. They don't make products like these anymore.

Steelseries, Razer, etc. supposedly designs product after input from professional gamers, issues like these should be taken care off at an earlier stage of development. I totally agree that the DPI thing is totally a marketing gimmick. In my opinion, you don't require anything beyond 3000-3500 DPI.

About the Intellipoint 1.1, i totally agree that its one of the best and sturdy mice I have ever come across. Microsoft does have its gaming mouses, but I think they are not selling these products in India as of now.

You could consider Corsair's devices as well. Vengeance M60/M90. They've got some fairly good reviews and Corsair's customer support in the country is simply unmatched.

Corsair Vengeance M60-3k[Comfortable Grip,Great built quality,Adjustable Weight,Great A.S.S by corsair]

Thanks for the information on Corsair M60, however, its a bit beyond my budget and I'm also looking to buy a mouse for my regular activities. How does the corsair fair on non-gaming performance? And what is the warranty period given by Corsair?

I live in New Delhi, I have checked with a shop in Nehru Place, the Logitech G400 is available at Rs. 1600. On the other side, Flipkart is selling the Corsair M60 at Rs. 4000 which is 2.5 times than that of the G400.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again guys!

@abanchii you can visit SMC International [at Nehru Place], I think I saw the Corsair M60 with those chaps recently and it never hurts to ask.

You can buy Kinzu V2 PRO. I heard a superb feedback of this mouse. Its coming in 3-4 different colors too.

Kinzu V2 PRO price : 2.9k
Kinzu Price : 2.6k

@abanchii you can visit SMC International [at Nehru Place], I think I saw the Corsair M60 with those chaps recently and it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for your valued suggestions. Will consider the Corsair M60 as one of my options while buying.

You can buy Kinzu V2 PRO. I heard a superb feedback of this mouse. Its coming in 3-4 different colors too.

Kinzu V2 PRO price : 2.9k
Kinzu Price : 2.6k

The SteelSeries Kinzu comes at a much less price of around Rs. 1400 if I'm correct. Don't have any idea about SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Pro though.

Thanks for your valued suggestions. Will consider the Corsair M60 as one of my options while buying.

The SteelSeries Kinzu comes at a much less price of around Rs. 1400 if I'm correct. Don't have any idea about SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Pro though.

Bro Kinzu Pro is this : Steelseries Kinzu V2 Pro Edition Mouse | Mouse | Flipkart.com

Steelseries resolved all the bugs from first version of Kinzu. You can go for this V2 PRO edition. It is available here locally for 2.9k and V2 is available for 2.6k (http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-kinzu-v2)

I totally agree. Costs almost double with the bugs removed and the added features.

I do not see any extra buttons, all I see is that it gets a braided-gold-plated connector.

I have a LOGITECH G300 and that seems more value for money than this.

Only addition is a CPI-switch button [non-customisable], all other specifications remain same-same between the two -- http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-kinzu-optical#specifications / http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-kinzu-v2-pro-edition#specifications.

SS mouse are bit overpriced due to the quality they offers. IMO Logitech is good but we can not neglect SS also.

Havok, my friend has a SteelSeries Ikari OPTICAL, he was the lucky guy who got a mouse which had the 1 / 10,00,000 build quality issue which causes every-click to be either not detect OR be detected as a multi-click [over 2 -->3 clicks].

This manifested itself immediately [~1 week] after the 1 year Limited Warranty period got over. And the company representatives here in India declined replacing it.

I myself have a fair share of horror stories from Razer -- poor build quality, multi-click issue et al faced by me and my friends.

At-least LOGITECH, Corsair and Cooler Master have a working RMA system in place to replace these issues, also it leaves a very bad taste in the customers mouth when he realizes his expensive hardware has such pathetic sales backing it up.

Better-safe-than-sorry is what I would say in this situation. Cheerio!!

Yes you are right but I dont know what is wrong with SS at your side. I am pretty happy with my Kinzu V2. Yes I would prefer Logitech over SS and Razer due to after service but CM sux in gaming hardware and Corsair is a new player and hell lot of potential.

CM sux in gaming hardware

They have an active after sales system in place that adds to the cake they get.

Also I have been using their gaming products on-and-off [extensively the STORM SPAWN and STORM QuickFire Rapid[/B]] and honestly speaking their build quality is better than most other gaming peripherals I have owned / used. Yes the Vengeance series is a big thorn in their side and most importantly their pricing for the keyboards is way of the mark, the mice I like.

honestly speaking their build quality is better than most other gaming peripherals I have owned / used

Yes I must say Acro is good in providing service but CM needs time to settle down in market. Still if you take public opinion then Razer and SS would be over CM in gaming peripherals. This is the truth but yes choice depends upon person to person

PS : I am selling SS products in Pune like hot cakes.

Still if you take public opinion then Razer and SS would be over CM in gaming peripherals.

PS : I am selling SS products in Pune like hot cakes.

Public opinion is generally motivated by the brands that are most available and visible. Razer and SteelSeries trump the Cooler Master STORM line-up here, although a well researched and informed consumer / enthusiast will get what they want instead of just falling in line with the masses.

P.S. -- I had a Razer mouse, still have a Lycosa and Goliathus in my active inventory and all this was bought when Razer was the new kid on the block. Earlier this spot was held by the venerable LOGITECH MX518. Fads will come and fads will go, only hardware that performs, is available and can be easily serviced will grow.

Public opinion is generally motivated by the brands that are most available and visible. Razer and SteelSeries trump the Cooler Master STORM line-up here, although a well researched and informed consumer / enthusiast will get what they want instead of just falling in line with the masses.

P.S. -- I had a Razer mouse, still have a Lycosa and Goliathus in my active inventory and all this was bought when Razer was the new kid on the block. Earlier this spot was held by the venerable LOGITECH MX518. Fads will come and fads will go, only hardware that performs, is available and can be easily serviced will grow.

Yes even if some one has hands on Razer DA then if his DA will get kaput in 2 months, he will again go for DA. Thats a gamer taste. Changing mouse in CS1.6 is impossible for me. I played CS with DA and all other games with my SS. :p

Back