All OS Suggestions for reliable used/ unused old 4:3 tablet sellers

nemo_online

Disciple
Hi all

Need a tablet in 4:3 aspect ratio (don't like 16:9 /16:10) primarily for reading books & comics which will be ideal for one-handed operation. The idea is to use it at night while lying down in the bed.I think even the 16 GB first gen Apple iPad Mini would be perfect (although I have not used an Apple product till now) but I don't know where to get an older gen from. Similarly Samsung galaxy tab S3 also seems fine. Any reliable sellers online that you could recommend?
P.S. Trying to keep the budget under 20k.

Regards

Last edited:
I don't own iPad Mini currently but at one point used to. I feel it is great size for reading magazines or ebooks. Due to the 4:3 aspect ratio, videos will have thicker bars on top and bottom but nothing you cannot live with.

I use iPad 8th gen for magazines and videos a lot but in future if and when I have to start office, I am planning to buy iPad mini for its smaller size.

But please don't buy iPad mini 1 as it is too old and you may struggle finding apps that work with old iOS version. Better to spend and buy iPad mini 4 or 5 and also the next mini is around the Corner just so you know.

Also, even if you think you will use iPad mini only for magazines and ebooks, I bet you will end up using it for a lot more things.

I don't own iPad Mini currently but at one point used to. I feel it is great size for reading magazines or ebooks. Due to the 4:3 aspect ratio, videos will have thicker bars on top and bottom but nothing you cannot live with.

I use iPad 8th gen for magazines and videos a lot but in future if and when I have to start office, I am planning to buy iPad mini for its smaller size.

But please don't buy iPad mini 1 as it is too old and you may struggle finding apps that work with old iOS version. Better to spend and buy iPad mini 4 or 5 and also the next mini is around the Corner just so you know.

Also, even if you think you will use iPad mini only for magazines and ebooks, I bet you will end up using it for a lot more things.
Thank you for your feedback.
Yes, even I am now beginning to consider the implications of having a legacy device. I am actually going back to University as an older student in a month's time. So, for the next 2 years at least, I have lot of studying to do. Additionally, I am planning to bring back some dormant reading habits of comic books - phantom, mandrake, tintin mostly with a sprinkling of the "new age" DC, marvel. But yes, as you say I will probably end up using it for other stuff like note taking etc. ( if i get the latest version, the mini 5).
Regarding the mini 6, yes I am aware of the leaks and the rumours regarding its launch but then they also say it will launch at a higher price than the existing one. Somewhere in the 45k range. So, that is anyway not my budget.

Thanks for the suggestion but don't like these rectangular shaped tablets with 16:9/16:10 aspect ratios. Also, can't use it one handed as it will be too heavy I guess. If i do end up going for a 10 inch & above model then I guess it will be the Mi Pad 5 ( provided in launches in India) or a basic iPad.
Also what would be a good time to buy an iPad Mini? Are there any offline sales in the Apple stores / croma/ rel digi or do prices reduce on Flipkart /Amazon?
Also what would be a good time to buy an iPad Mini? Are there any offline sales in the Apple stores / croma/ rel digi or do prices reduce on Flipkart /Amazon?
@raksrules The above question was intended for you.

Last edited:
@nemo_online I am not very sure what is the best store. I believe best place is where you get best deal. Be it online or offline. Also if you are not in a hurry, wait until Diwali for multiple reasons...

1. Diwali - So better deals out there generally, card offers and Apple India may also have some sort of cashback on certain cards.
2. New iPad Mini - If priced ok, that is an option, if not then old may be little cheaper but I strongly suggest DO NOT expect this. Apple may launch new iPad mini at 40K+ and never reduce price of iPad Mini 5 or completely discontinue. As much as I love apple products, remember it is a business and they will do anything to not hit their profits.
3. You may see comparisons of iPad Mini 5 and new iPad Mini 6 to arrive at a conclusion of what to buy.

Also someone above suggested you samsung tab A7. I own that too which my son uses for his online classes. The speakers on this are superb with 4 side firing speakers and placement of camera is great for zoom calls. But I bought this tablet for the specific purpose of kid's class. I rarely touch it but that is because I too do not like the wide tablets and am more comfortable with iPad like designs and moreover since I am accustomed to iOS / iPadOS, I prefer that more.

But before you delve into iPad or apple world, you need to be aware that you cannot do customizations and no sideloading (actually you can but it is bothersome) and such. Be prepared for this as many people will buy apple devices expecting they get all freedom of android and when it does not happen, they blame apple.

@nemo_online I am not very sure what is the best store. I believe best place is where you get best deal. Be it online or offline. Also if you are not in a hurry, wait until Diwali for multiple reasons...

1. Diwali - So better deals out there generally, card offers and Apple India may also have some sort of cashback on certain cards.
2. New iPad Mini - If priced ok, that is an option, if not then old may be little cheaper but I strongly suggest DO NOT expect this. Apple may launch new iPad mini at 40K+ and never reduce price of iPad Mini 5 or completely discontinue. As much as I love apple products, remember it is a business and they will do anything to not hit their profits.
3. You may see comparisons of iPad Mini 5 and new iPad Mini 6 to arrive at a conclusion of what to buy.

Also someone above suggested you samsung tab A7. I own that too which my son uses for his online classes. The speakers on this are superb with 4 side firing speakers and placement of camera is great for zoom calls. But I bought this tablet for the specific purpose of kid's class. I rarely touch it but that is because I too do not like the wide tablets and am more comfortable with iPad like designs and moreover since I am accustomed to iOS / iPadOS, I prefer that more.

But before you delve into iPad or apple world, you need to be aware that you cannot do customizations and no sideloading (actually you can but it is bothersome) and such. Be prepared for this as many people will buy apple devices expecting they get all freedom of android and when it does not happen, they blame apple.
I don't think I will hang around for iPad Mini 6. The other concern which you have validly raised is that of sideloading. From whatever little I have heard about Apple products, yes freedom can be an issue. Another potential issue for me might be the beginner's unfamiliarity considering I have never used a Apple product nor have any products in my house which are non- android and non-windows. So, bottomline is will have to do more research before taking the plunge.
p.s. my primary sideloading will have to do with epub, pdfs, .cbr and .cbz formats

Last edited:
I don't think I will hang around for iPad Mini 6. The other concern which you have validly raised is that of sideloading. From whatever little I have heard about Apple products, yes freedom can be an issue. Another potential issue for me might be the beginner's unfamiliarity considering I have never used a Apple product nor have any products in my house which are non- android and non-windows. So, bottomline is will have to do more research before taking the plunge.
p.s. my primary sideloading will have to do with epub, pdfs, .cbr and .cbz formats
Sideloading here means actual apps which is too difficult to install from outside appstore and even if you can, there are restrictions. For the ebook files that can be easily loaded so don't worry about that.

Last edited:
@raksrules What is the fastest time that one could charge the Ipad Mini 5 in ? I have seen a video where it took 2 hours with a 20W non-apple charger.

I honestly have no idea. I have iPad 8th gen and I have I think 20w apple charger which came with it but I have never measured the charge time. But obviously with that charger, it is pretty fast.

I honestly have no idea. I have iPad 8th gen and I have I think 20w apple charger which came with it but I have never measured the charge time. But obviously with that charger, it is pretty fast.
Hmm.. the video I saw and also stuff elsewhere said that the 10w apple charger that comes with the Mini takes close to 4 hours to charge the tab which is frankly a bit putting off in this day & age. Hence, the non-Apple 20W charger which takes around 2 hours (give or take 5 mins). Anyway, never mind. My research continues. :):p

Hmm.. the video I saw and also stuff elsewhere said that the 10w apple charger that comes with the Mini takes close to 4 hours to charge the tab which is frankly a bit putting off in this day & age. Hence, the non-Apple 20W charger which takes around 2 hours (give or take 5 mins). Anyway, never mind. My research continues. :):p

With your usage of e-reader, I don't think you have to worry so much about time taken to charge. I am sure you will be able to go for a week without charging unless you start watching youtube and such and then frequency of charging increases.

With your usage of e-reader, I don't think you have to worry so much about time taken to charge. I am sure you will be able to go for a week without charging unless you start watching youtube and such and then frequency of charging increases.
well said.. I will have to be a monk to resist the temptation to not use it for other stuff at all. :D

well said.. I will have to be a monk to resist the temptation to not use it for other stuff at all. :D

I use iPad for watching videos using Infuse app and still I multi task with the video in PIP mode and I am checking TE and reddit and such simultaneously. So I am sure you will end up using it for far far more things than just eBook. This is also due to the fact that it is not a dedicated eReader so one is bound to get distracted.

I use for also regular websites as in iPadOS, websites can open in desktop mode so it is better that way as in mobile mode, many websites have weird interface and yes I know chrome always had "Request Desktop website" feature but since I mostly use safari, it is preferred.

I started with the need for a tablet for studying and reading in the 4:3 aspect ratio and after days of reading, watching, and keeping the market prices in mind, I think I have shortlisted two devices for consideration - the Realme Pad and the 9th Gen iPad. I will decide in a day or two. Need some advice before doing that. Obviously, these are two very different devices in terms of specs and quality of performance. While the Realme doesn't have the aspect ratio that I would have liked, it is an Android tab ( an ecosystem with which I am familiar with), while the Apple iPad is something that I am completely unfamiliar with. Yet, I believe that if I go for the iPad it will be a physically more enduring product that I can use for quite a few years without problems. ( I hope my confidence is not misplaced) However certain doubts remain and thus from the iPad's practical usage perspective, I wanted to know few things -

1. How difficult/ easy is it to move files between a Windows PC and iPad?
2. How much of a chore is it to connect an external hard disk drive to an iPad and transfer files? ( Since Apple iOS doesn't recognize NTFS and at present all my hard disks are in the NTFS format, so would it be a good idea to buy a 32 Gb pen drive and format it in the exFAT format? What accessory/ies will I need to connect said pen drive to the iPad and what might be the estimated cost of this accessory?
3. A bit of a niche query - What is a good app to read ePub files on the iPad? (I find Readera on Android to be the best but it is not available on Apple iOS)
4. How much of a difference will the lack of a USB C charging port make in day-to-day activities ( mainly the activities mentioned above) ?
5. Any suggestions for a good and inexpensive Lightning to USB adapter and powered USB hub?

Regards

Last edited:
Back