Suggestions for Trip to Assam & Meghalaya

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005
Hey guys,

Few of us are planning a trip to North-East from 2nd week of may..! Duration is 10-12 days..!

Would appreciate few suggestions regarding Travel Points/ Stays / Tourist Places, anything that might help..

Our starting point will be Nagpur and we are planning to use Railways till Guwahati. Nothing planned after that, hence the need of few suggestions..:)

Thanks a lot...!

AsidXxx

Adept
May 28, 2007
Re: Trip to North-East... Guwahati...Nagaland etc..!

The interstate bus services are quite dependable. While in Assam, visit Digboi. Lovely little place. Also, little towns like Tipong, Margherita and then onwards to AP.

ronnie_gogs

Morphing from a Geek to a Nerd
Skilled
Nov 25, 2007
Singapore
www.discoveringrc.com

Guwahti
Shankardev Kalakshetra - To know about assam and its culture
Kamakhya Temple - Bit crowded and but its famous
You can take a boat / ferry ride in Brahmaputra
Try tradition Assamese food in restaurants - One hotel which has been there since ages is Paradise

Kaziranga National Park
Huge National Park with lots of animals - book and enquire before hand to have a reservation
Its has the highest tiger density in India now

Jorhat
Small city which can help u reach Majuli (India's largest river island )
Its a island in the middle of the river which is a pretty huge for the fact that its in the middle of Brahmaputra

Sibsagar
Small city with which was capital of Assam in Ahom dynasty time
Places of interest - Sivo Dol
Rang Ghar
Tolatol Ghar
Joi Sagar Lake
Kareng Ghar (Gargaon)

Nagaland -
Places of interest
Dzukou valley
Kohima and Dimapur

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks ronnie and Asid....

Regarding transport.. I doubt if train will cater to our need after reaching Guwahati. So should we book an Indica (any 4 seater) or Public Transport is good enough..! ?

Also can Darjeeling be covered or its a long way out..!

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007

Is Nagaland safe for tourists ?

kippu

Skilled
Dec 28, 2006

darjeeling is from calcutta , then you can do gangtok and sikkim, that is one of the other touristic routes

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks kippu...!

@blr : We need Permits only for A.P nowadays..Its been lifted for other places..! (As far as i know.. :) )

shantanil

Disciple
Aug 12, 2007

dipen01 said:

Regarding transport.. I doubt if train will cater to our need after reaching Guwahati. So should we book an Indica (any 4 seater) or Public Transport is good enough..! ?

Let me answer your last query first. Staying just 150 kms from Darjeeling, I can give you some info.

For Darjeeling, you would have to get down about 450 kms before Guwahati in New Jalpaiguri and then take a Sumo/Scorpio/Tavera for a 100 kms trip to Darjeeling which would roughly take 4 hrs. In Darjeeling, visit the Mall, the zoo, Tiger Hill and of course, Makaibari Tea Garden. Would take 2 days at most. Alternatively you could go to Gangtok and stay for some days there and visit, Pelling, Tsango lake, Nathu-la Border and the Rumtek monastery. Would take about 3 days. Additionally, a 2 day trip to North Sikkim is advisable where you could visit the Gurdongmar Lake, Yumthang and the Zero Point. So for Gangtok and Darjeeling, it would take up around 7-8 days. Come back to New Jalpaiguri and take the Rajdhani Express to Guwahati (Dep 11.00 a.m. Arrival in Guwahati 6.00 p.m.). In Guwahati visit the places mentioned above. The beauty of the city nestled among small hillocks will blow you off.

I would also advise you to visit the above mentioned places in Assam and further add a trip to Silchar through Shillong and the Barak Valley. You can see the different peaks and Waterfalls in Shillong along with the Shillong Peak, Shillong Church and the Golf course. A trip to Silchar from Lumding in a train would have you passing through the wild Barak Valley through places such as Jathinga and Halflong, a place where a peculiar behaviour among birds has been observed. The route has plenty of tunnels and is very exciting. You can then return to Guwahati and take a cab or Bus to AP. Trains would not help here.

Hope this helps.

CA50

Skilled
Dec 26, 2009
GraveYard

ronnie_gogs said:
Guwahti
Shankardev Kalakshetra - To know about assam and its culture
Kamakhya Temple - Bit crowded and but its famous
You can take a boat / ferry ride in Brahmaputra
Try tradition Assamese food in restaurants - One hotel which has been there since ages is Paradise

Kaziranga National Park
Huge National Park with lots of animals - book and enquire before hand to have a reservation
Its has the highest tiger density in India now

Jorhat
Small city which can help u reach Majuli (India's largest river island )
Its a island in the middle of the river which is a pretty huge for the fact that its in the middle of Brahmaputra

Sibsagar
Small city with which was capital of Assam in Ahom dynasty time
Places of interest - Sivo Dol
Rang Ghar
Tolatol Ghar
Joi Sagar Lake
Kareng Ghar (Gargaon)

Nagaland -
Places of interest
Dzukou valley
Kohima and Dimapur

Add Tezpur to that, its the city of eternal romance
#chitralekha udyan ---- somewhat historical
#agnigarh park--------- somewhat historical
its a small and beautiful town

dipen01 said:

You can come up to guwahati by train, then you will have to travel by bus. You can do either, book a vehicle if you don't want to board a bus and enjoy the natural beauty along the journey, else you can board public transport, its really fun you know:)

devilsmind

Adept
Aug 14, 2006

going to shillong too??? visit the place if possible... its very beautiful.. i had been there last year,

ronnie_gogs

Morphing from a Geek to a Nerd
Skilled
Nov 25, 2007
Singapore
www.discoveringrc.com

dipen01 said:

I would advise you to book a Indica as that way you can travel at your own place... The places I mentioned come in all along in a single NH 37 ...

Guwahati -> Kaziranga -> Jorhat -> Sibsagar

Darjeeling is a totally different location

You basically have to come to Back New Jalpaiguri (West Bengal) from Guwahati and then take a bus taxi to Darjeeling

Better to go to Shillong in Meghalaya if you wanna see mountains... Its a beautiful place...

Places to see in Shillong

Shillong Peak ( Nice view of the city near my old KV school in which I studied till Class 3)

Police market

Polo ground

Churches

Cherapunji

4 hours from Guwahati and its a very winding road so if you are not used to travelling in such conditions better take a pill called avomine to stop yourself from puking :p

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks a lot..:)

Started planning my Itinerary..

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007

dipen01 said:
@blr : We need Permits only for A.P nowadays..Its been lifted for other places..! (As far as i know.. :) )
Was not referring to permits but rather kidnap risk.

Is Nagaland still under AFSPA or not ?

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

Please review the following Itinerary for the Trip to Assam and Meghalaya in first week of May.

Info :

- 3/4 Friends

- 10-12 Days

- Low Budget Trip

- Boarding from MUMBAI/NAGPUR

-------------------------------------------------

MUMBAI - GUWAHATI - TRAIN

DAY : 1

GUWAHATI

Hotel - Near Guwahati-Shillong Road - Near Paltan Bazaar

Resto - Khorika - Assamese Food special / Paradise - Oldest Resto

Places (Depending on the time of arrival)

- Kamakhya Temple - 3km

- River cruise on Brahmaputra

- Umananda Temple

NIGHT HALT - GUWAHATI

DAY : 2

Travel (Early morning)

Guwahati - Shillong :- Jeep (Rs.140/head) - 100km

Shillong - Cherrapunjee :- Jeep (Rs.50/head) - 56km

Places -

- Umiam Lake - Prior to entering Shillong

Hotel - 15km from Town - Laitkynsew village - Cab(Rs.300/head)

Resto - At Hotel / Misc.

CHERRAPUNJEE POINTS:-

-Pillar Rock

-Mawsmai Cave

-Nohkalikai Waterfalls

NIGHT HALT - CHERRAPUNJEE

DAY : 3

CHERRAPUNJEE

Early Trek with 'Guide' (Resort)- 8am - Trek to 'Double Decker Living Bridge :-

- Trek through Dirt Road - Khasi village - Single tier Root Bridge - Double Tier Root Bridge - Nature cleanest Water Pool - Trek Back to Hotel (Approx 4pm)

NIGHT HALT - CHERRAPUNJEE

DAY : 4

SHILLONG

Travel -

Cherrapunjee - Shillong :- Jeep (Rs.50/head)

Places -

-Ward's Lake

-Don Bosco centre of Indigenous cultures (famous and architechurally interesting musuem)

-Western Garo Hills - Out of Shillong - considerd pretty scenic.

-Mawlinglong - cleanest village in Asia - Also has a very famour Root Bridge - Not very far from Shillong (70-80km)

Travel-

Shillong - Guwahati :- Jeep

NIGHT HALT - GUWAHATI

DAY : 5

TEZPUR

Travel -

Guwahati - Tezpur - Bus (185km)

Tezpur - Nameri Eco camp - Cab (35km)

Hotel - Pre arragement for tent camp

Resto - Same

NIGHT HALT - NAMERI CAMP

DAY : 6

NAMERI NATIONAL PARK

-Walk through Lush forests

-Spotting Birds and Animals

-Rafting Trip - Organized by camp

-Exploring the river banks

Note : Total cost of transportation to rafting start point, 2 guides-cum-cooks, food, rafting equipments and Permits - Rs 2000

Travel -

Nameri - Kohora - cab (NH-37) - Approx 3hrs

Hotel - Wild Grass Hotel (Near Kohora)

Resto - Same/Misc

NIGHT HALT - KOHORA

DAY : 7

KAZIRANGA NATIONAL PARK

Places -

-Elephant Rides

-Jeep Rides through the forest

-Spotting 1horn Rhino's and various other Wildlife creatures

-Also has Bengal Tiger Population

Travel -

Kohora - Jorhat - 95km

Hotel - ??

Resto - ??

NIGHT HALT - JORHAT

DAY : 8

Travel -

Jorhat - Majuli - close - By Ferry

MAJULI - India's Largest River Island - In the middle of Brahmaputra

Hotel - Bamboo Guest Houses (Rs 300-500) - Situated near Kamalabari and near the Satras in a place called "Garamur".

Resto - Misc.

Travel -

Jorhat - Sibsagar - 50km

NIGHT HALT - SIBSAGAR

DAY : 9

SIBSAGAR

Places -

-Sivo Dol

-Rang Ghar

-Tolatol Ghar

-Joi Sagar Lake

-Kareng Ghar (Gargaon)

SIBASAGAR (Simalguri 16km) - GUWAHATI - TRAIN (Approx 8hrs)

GUWAHATI - NAGPUR/MUMBAI - TRAIN

Please post SUGGESTIONS / CORRECTIONS wherever necessary. It would be highly appreciated as this would be the first time that we are going on this long of a trip.

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005
Leaving on wednesday by train... :D

Kaziranga is already closed, so thats a dampener but I guess Nameri National Park will do.. ;) .. Rest as planned....!!

@Kamcoolin :- We have no fixed budget as such... Train tickets from Mumbai to Guwahati (506/head), Remaining Travel by bus/jeep/misc.. Return - Jorhat to Kolkata by Flight - (1874/head)..2 day halt in Kolkata and then Train to Mumbai (501/head).. So its already 3K before evening leaving...;)

All of us are non earning college ppl ;).. So we are gonna keep it low key with our hotels/resorts etc.. I suppose our budget will be 10k excluding above 3k...

Lets see..

Oh btw... had to prepone our flight by a day, because of price difference (1000 bucks) so we will be spending 2 days in Kolkata.. I wonder what do we do there.... :| .Any suggestions..!!