Car & Bike Suggestions on a new car

kniwor

Adept
Hi,

My dad wants to buy a new car, and I need all your inputs on the same. The budget is around 5.5 lacks. Will prefer a diesel engine.

Currently I'm looking at the ford Ikon, which is around 520,000/- ex-showroom. I've not much clue of the automotive segment, any inputs are welcome. Will also look into MUV segment, scorpio is also on the mind

Rohit

kniwor said:
Hi,

My dad wants to buy a new car, and I need all your inputs on the same. The budget is around 5.5 lacks. Will prefer a diesel engine.

Currently I'm looking at the ford Ikon, which is around 520,000/- ex-showroom. I've not much clue of the automotive segment, any inputs are welcome. Will also look into SUV segment, scorpio is also on the mind

Rohit

First off,the Scorpio starts at 8.4lakhs(base)...

So,here's what you can consider for around 5.5lakhs :

Hatchback:

1.MS Swift LDI/VDI

2.Fiat Palio Stile

3.Tata Indica Vista

Sedan:

1.Ford Ikon TDCi

2.Renault Logan

3.Tata Indigo CS

Hope this helped...

ab1 said:
stay away from the ikon , if u dont mind a hatchback the look no further than the swift deisel

Dude,both the body & the engine have been tried & tested !!!
agreed the front doesn't look appealing but it still is VALUE FOR MONEY...
Practical & Economical...

Please have a serious look at the palio. Even thoguh the interiors are a bit dated, the car is built like a tank and will last a long long time. The swift is no doubt a great car and fun to drive but you will have rattling and noise issues before you finish the 1st 2000 kms, thats if your lucky.

The palio is an under rated car, and if the linea is going to succeed then be ready for better service also.

maruti=poor suspension,rattling,poor noise isolation

chevrolet=amazing suspension,no rattling,awesome noise isolation,amazing service(at least in my city,pune),resale value low

ford=costly spare parts,very poor resale value

chevrolet cars are under rated..

test ride aveo which is around 6.5lac,however it is petrol.

else if u want diesel look no further than swift.

Logan - best comfort,ride quality,mileage & space,if u don't mind abt looks.

Swift vdi - Best mileage n performance,but less back seat comfort

Chevrolet UVA- Superb comfort,space,ride quality but its petrol

You shud give the comfort n ease of driving the most priority since its for ur parents.

mav2000 said:
Please have a serious look at the palio. Even thoguh the interiors are a bit dated, the car is built like a tank and will last a long long time. The swift is no doubt a great car and fun to drive but you will have rattling and noise issues before you finish the 1st 2000 kms, thats if your lucky.

The palio is an under rated car, and if the linea is going to succeed then be ready for better service also.

haha.. damn true.. using a palio for the last 7 years..

if u can extend the budget till abt 6 or 6.2, i would say go for the Linea hands down.. awesome car.. drove the car a couple days back.. damn smooth, good pick-up, nice balancing.. over all a damn good car..

if u want a hatchback, i suggest Palio 1.3L multi-jet diesel.. damn good..

oh n BTW.. swift diesel has a FIAT engine in it.. Maruti doesnt manufacture diesel engines..

EDIT: n ppl cry that palio doesnt give average.. well, my car still gives me fuel econ. like 10 KMPL to 11 in city and touches 15 on the highway..

Hi Rohan, sorry to contradict you, yes it is a fiat engine in the maruti but maruti manufactures the engine themselves under license from Fiat.

stretch your budget to 6L and get the getz crdi. its a monster - space, power, ride comfort -It's got everything

make your dad test drive one (thats the hard part. very few hyundai dealers have the getz crdi available for TD) , and I'm sure he'll fall in love with it. It's a class apart from all these other cars

but still supervised by fiat and under contract and still have to follow all the procedures, etc etc. laid down by fiat..

n plus all the engines are tested by Fiat before put into cars..

so.. ;)

fiat's involvement stops with the licensing agreement. I dont think they are involved in engine production at maruti's manesar plant. fiat's own engines are made at the tata-fiat plant in ranjangaon

^^^ agree with greenhorn. I dont think Maruti would be very happy about Fiat guys loafing about their shop floor. I am sure its only technology sharing and licensing.

@ OP
Consider Fiat Palio or TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet
Both have same Fiat engine.
Build quality of Vista is much better than Indica V2s, not as good as Palio though. But u'll get good service.

Internal space
Swift is much smaller car than it looks from outside
Palio>Vista>Getz>Swift

Build quality and Suspension
Palio>Getz>Swift=?Vista
Palio has much better suspension, even better than many sedans.

TD all three.

Don't go for TATA's 1.4L TD engine. Tatas are best at building Trucks and should stick to it only.

geek ashish said:
@ OP

Consider Fiat Palio or TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet

Both have same Fiat engine.

Build quality of Vista is much better than Indica V2s, not as good as Palio though. But u'll get good service.

actually , you'll get better service for a tata car than a fiat one. Fiat ASS is step motherly compared to tata in most tata service centers

Internal space

Swift is much smaller car than it looks from outside

Palio>Vista>Getz>Swift

the vista has more space than the palio, and the the getz too - probably the getz has the most interior space

Build quality and Suspension

Palio>Getz>Swift=?Vista

Palio has much better suspension, even better than many sedans.

agree about the build quality, but suspension is subjective.If you value a comfortable ride over cornering, the vista and gets should be higher in the order

TD all three.

Don't go for TATA's 1.4L TD engine. Tatas are best at building Trucks and should stick to it only.

there is nothing wrong with the TD engine. it runs pretty much all the indigos and some indicas. I have one. the engine might not be as good on NVH, it is better than some of its competition ( skoda fabia diesel :p)

however in this case, I'd suggest the quadrajet since its a better performer , and he can afford it.

I would not suggest the palio at alll. Its like a tata with better build quality and every other problem magnified

Thank you for all your inputs.

a few points that can be useful.

The budget is flexible, and hence the consideration of Scorpio.

This vehicle will primarily be used in a small town, no city, and a good suspension is important, so is mileage. A diesel engine is preferable I said, but petrol is not out of question.

This is not a typical family scenario, the usage is variable, hence MUV's are also considered because those can be quite useful in the village/town.

Ground Clearance is important, otherwise he might have problems taking the vehicle around.

That being said, I think my dad wants a sedan, from all your inputs, ikon seems to be the only reasonable option, unless I'm overlooking something.

Fiat Linea looks quite an attractive choice too, more comments on this would help.

Back