Suggestions on PC config

er.abhijit

Recruit
Please answer the following questions for others to help you out better. Delete whatever you feel is not required.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 30K-33K
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    1. CPU -
    2. Motherboard -
    3. GPU -
    4. RAM -
    5. Monitor -
    6. SMPS -
    7. HDD- HDD from my old scrapped laptop (HP COMPAQ 6715b) 160-GB 5400 rpm SMART SATA
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. Monitor -
    2. SMPS -
    3. HDD- HDD from my old scrapped laptop (HP COMPAQ 6715b) 160-GB 5400 rpm SMART SATA
    4. UPS: Have one old but dont know if its compatible.
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU - Intel core i5 2400 3.1Ghz 6MB cache
    2. Motherboard - intel DH67BL
    3. RAM: Corsair 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz
    4. Monitor: LG 18.5" LED
    5. Cabinet: NZXT Gamma
    6. PSU: Seasonic S12II 520w
    7. ODD: Samsung 24X SATA DVD
    8. UPS: Please suggest
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. Yes, will upgrade the following
    2. HDD - Will buy a brand new HDD to use it as main hard disk (within 4 months)
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Pune/Mumbai
    2. Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. AutoCAD - on small scale
    2. ETABS, SAFE, STAAD etc civil engineering softwares - on small scale
    3. Mocrosoft Office
    4. Watching movies
    5. Gaming - medium range games
    6. Browsing
    7. Desktop Processing
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. No for AMD, My old laptop had AMD processor and GPU which were damaged due to overheating
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. Fifa, Cricket,
    2. Racing - NFS, etc
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming -
    2. Desktop -
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7 64 bit
    2. Linux - Ubuntu

I am planning to use old laptop HDD for now and will buy a new one after may be 3-4 months. By doing this, I am prefering to go with a higher config of processor (i5 instead of i3), due to tight budget.

Please confirm that the configuration is compatible as I am planning to config it myself.

Also suggest a compatible UPS.

Is mobo intel DH67BL compatible with upcoming (already launched, i think) ivy bridge processors, in case I feel to upgrade processor after 2 years?

Hello Abhijeet!

Since you said that you are going to play games as well intel's onboard GPU is not gonna make it for 18.5" inches monitor.

So I suggest you to go for a discrete graphics card like HD7750 or HD6770 for 6.5k.

Is mobo intel DH67BL compatible with upcoming (already launched, i think) ivy bridge processors, in case I feel to upgrade processor after 2 years?

Yes your mentioned mobo would be perfectly compatible with IB.

Here is what I suggest-

1) Core i5 2500 3.3ghz

~11.5k

2) Biostar H67 4.6k

http://www.flipkart.com/m/biostar-h67mh-motherboard/p/itmd5r9dkyk5rk6h?pid=MBDD5R9DMYG8RHD3

3) Ram

http://www.flipkart.com/m/corsair-d...333c9/p/itmd2ryp2xmmqmsy?pid=RAMD2RYP8CRENWZW

4) benq 18.5"

http://www.ebay.in/itm/BenQ-G922HDA...5?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item20c52e05eb

5) NZXT gamma 2.8k

http://www.ebay.in/itm/NZXT-Gamma-M...2?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3cc3d47e0e

6) SMPS

VX550 V2

7) GPU

HD7750 ~6.4k

http://www.smcinternational.in/inde....tpl&product_id=2109&category_id=9&keyword=hd 7750&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=90

Sorry, I lack any info in UPS department.

Hope this helps!
<

Yes the Intel H67 chipset is compatible with the Ivy-Bridge chips [processors], but will lack a few of the advanced features that will be brought on board with the H77 / Z77 chipsets. But the processor shall work like a charm if you decide to upgrade down the line.

This is what I suggest Sire --

Intel Core i5 2400 ~10500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5400/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x1 ~1600/- [go for the 1600MHz RAM due to the following reasons -- http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_8.html / http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3]

AMD HD 7750 ~6500/- OR AMD HD 6770 ~7000/-

Corsair VX 450W ~3700/- OR Cooler Master GX450W ~3000/-

NZXT Gamma ~2800/-

Dell IN2030M ~6500/- [this is a 20" monitor, go for this because monitors are something that will have to serve in good stead for a long time]

APC BR650VA-IN ~2600/- [this is a decent UPS but has had issues with Corsair VX SMPS]

Yes the Intel H67 chipset is compatible with the Ivy-Bridge chips [processors], but will lack a few of the advanced features that will be brought on board with the H77 / Z77 chipsets. But the processor shall work like a charm if you decide to upgrade down the line.

Thanks, I found the list of compatible processors here: http://processormatc...oardName=DH67BL

I would then go with H67 chipset. H77 would cost more, dont know how much as its not available on flipkart.

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x1 ~1600/- [go for the 1600MHz RAM due to the following reasons -- http://www.xbitlabs....dge-ddr3_8.html / http://www.anandtech...g-the-best-ddr3]

But Intel H67BL chipset supports only 1333/1066 Mhz RAM as per their specifications: http://www.intel.com...ard-dh67bl.html

APC BR650VA-IN ~2600/- [this is a decent UPS but has had issues with Corsair VX SMPS

I have an old UPS (Unique) got from my friend. But dont know its specifications. Was used for Pentium P4 processor.

Don't know if I can use the same to cut down the budget.

AMD HD 7750 ~6500/- OR AMD HD 6770 ~7000/-

I would prefer to buy a graphics card after 4-5 months, very tight budget!

Thanks for quick replies!!

Hello Abhijeet!

Since you said that you are going to play games as well intel's onboard GPU is not gonna make it for 18.5" inches monitor.

So I suggest you to go for a discrete graphics card like HD7750 or HD6770 for 6.5k.

I mentioned games, but that's way below in the list as per my preference. Most of the times I would be performing tasks 1, 2, 3 (Q 8 in questionary above). So I will delay the purchase of graphics card if its absolutely neccessary, due to budget.

Is this better than Intel mobo? its cheaper by almost 1k than intel's.

Thanks for quick replies!!

Hello Abhijeet!

I mentioned games, but that's way below in the list as per my preference. Most of the times I would be performing tasks 1, 2, 3 (Q 8 in questionary above). So I will delay the purchase of graphics card if its absolutely neccessary, due to budget.

But Intel H67BL chipset supports only 1333/1066 Mhz RAM as per their specifications.

I have an old UPS (Unique) got from my friend. But dont know its specifications. Was used for Pentium P4 processor.

Don't know if I can use the same to cut down the budget.

Yes all the Sandy Bridge chipsets [including the unlocked P67 and Z68] do not support more than 1333MHz RAM on paper, they support DDR 3 modules running 1333MHz @1.5v, but due to better components and fabrication techniques companies are able to run RAM at 1600MHz @1.5v, so they technically are capable of running on these chipsets.

Another factor is that after Intel released it's first line of Intel Core series processors the memory controller was shifted onto the processor die from the chipset Northbridge. Basically mimicking AMD's Hyper-Transport communication technology and entirely replacing Front Side Bus. Even the memory controllers on Intel Core i7 2600k do not support RAM over 1600MHz per se.

Here are a few articles that will help you understand the above -- FSB and its implications, its replacement. Why you should go for 1600MHz RAM over 1333MHz RAM -- #1 and #2.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We also found that memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600. All of the extra performance gained by overclocking almost certainly comes from the CPU overclock itself and not from the extra memory bandwidth.[/font]

I will not recommend using old UPS on your new RIG, it will be a bad-bad choice, go for a new APC BR650VA-IN ~2600/- OR Microtek 800VA ~2800/- [because the Corsair VX series SMPSs' are reported to have issues with APC UPS].

What is the output rating of the old UPS?

No the Intel motherboard is better than the BioSTAR motherboard because --
  • more DIMM modules for easy upgrade of memory.
  • better out-put package with support for HDMI-OUT, DVI-D OUT, VGA-OUT. On the audio end the Intel motherboard supports a better 7.1 analogue out and S/PDIF-OUT. A better HTPC platform.
  • International warranty and a good after sales network, something which is not so wll developed with BioSTAR.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Well, that's a gr8 help ALPHA17!!

Thanks for all the details. I will go with 1600 Mhz RAM and buy a new UPS, microtek. The config fits well in my budget under 33k.

Only thing I need to know is about usb fans required for for cooling. I don't know their specs, how many will be required and cost.

Anything else required for assembling the system (like cables, thermo paste)? It would be helpful for if you can provide a list with its specs. I know these are very small things, but I'm not aware of these.

Only thing I need to know is about usb fans required for for cooling. I don't know their specs, how many will be required and cost.

Anything else required for assembling the system (like cables, thermo paste)? It would be helpful for if you can provide a list with its specs. I know these are very small things, but I'm not aware of these.

There is nothing known as USB fans, there are PWM fans and 3-pin fans. So you need to add 2 x120mm fans to this set-up, depending on where you purchase it from it will set you back by ~400/- -->500/-. The fan I recommend is this.

For the rest, cables and such the shop owner must provide you the same, so you need not be worried. SATA cables come bundled with the motherboard + SMPS cable is provided with the SMPS. On accord of thermal-paste I recommend you do not do anything until you are getting abnormally high temperatures on idle [touching ~60°C OR above], in that scenario you will need to Re-TIM the CPU and these are the pastes I recommend --
  1. SVG Themag V1 ~150/-
  2. TuniQ TX-3 ~400/-
  3. Arctic Silver 5 ~550/-

If you do not know how to re-TIM your processor, follow these guides here #1 and #2.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Thanks ALPHA17!

I will check the prices with local market in Pune, and if possible will travel to Mumbai this weekend to check the same at Lamington Road. By the time, if I get any query, will post here.

Thanks for the help!!

Back