PC Peripherals Suggestions regarding My new Intel Core i7 RIG

Believe me, you don't wanna change your mobo to accommodate your RAM :p. If you still want to know if it's possible, pls post a screen shot of the mobo layout and I'll confirm if the RAM will fit.

shawn_pro said:
Hi all, i am new to TE forums but i have been following it lately. I like all the suggestion and personal feedback that the members post. this is the best forums i have ever seen for PC. Guys i am building my first system. I want your personal opinion or suggestions about it. Iam not a rich guy but i am very much attachment for technology so i dont mind spending for good components which wont be outdated very soon and reliable too. So here goes my list. I am buying it from TE dealer Sudhir (Phoenix).

CPU - Core i7 975 EE - 56,000

Motherboard - Gigabyte X58 UD5 - 17,750

RAM - OCZ Reaper 6 GB 1600 MHZ CAS 7 - 13300

GPU - Zotac GTX 275 AMP - 15750

HDD - WD Black Cavair - 6700

PSU - Corsair 750 TX 750W - 8100

Cabinet - CM Storm Scout (price still not confirmed) was keen on HAF 932 but not available

Already have Viewsonic 24" VX2433 Monitor

If you can spend 56k on a proccy,then I am sure you won't mind spending extra on top notch components.

I'll recommend Asus Rampage II Extreme @28k, Though UD5 is not a bad board.I'm sure Sudhir can arrange one for you or else you can get it from lynx.

About OCZ Reaper @ 13.3k, I think you can get better RAM at lot cheaper price.

Buy OCZ Reaper 3x2GB DDR3 1866 Mhz via KMD ~ 9K.

Add Corsair HX 1000 and Go future proof :)

Give Oc'ing a try, It will be shame on proccy's part if you run it at stock speed. :D

Have Fun :)

If you didnt want to OC then you should have better bought an i7 950, stock speed of 3 Ghz but with locked multiplier which means a bit harder to overclock than i7 975.....You are simply wasting the 975 there sadly. Should have asked before buying. 975 carries that price tag because of there extreme capability to overclock under LN2/DICE.

thebanik said:
975 carries that price tag because of there extreme capability to overclock under LN2/DICE.

Totally wrong there! The i7 975 carries that price tag 'cos of a market monopoly! Simply put there's not an offering from AMD which could match the performance or excel the i7 975.

And this was the trend since long. The Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 840, the Athlon FX series had a similar price tag when they were launched only to have come down when successive processors beat them in their own league!

Your fact could hold true from a bencher's POV since this has unlocked multipliers in addition. In any case, the launch of the i9 processor should see the price of the 975/065 come down by a huge margin. ;)

Hey that was a very good info you shared, Gannu.

I main reason i dont wanna overclock is because i dont like stressing the components and that will inturn increase the lifespan of those components and less heat and less power consumption.

I am buying because 975 not because of the 3.3 GHZ but also because of the QPI 6.4 GT/s. I know yaar gulftown or core i9 wil be out by 2010 but i am running out of patience.

Guys i have learned one thing is that if you are a tech freak then it is a sin to be born in India. you just cannot get the parts you want. I feel so jealous of those americans because of their newegg, amazon and etc etc. Here same items cost almost double or more or not available at all. Those americans are lucky, maybe because of their high purchase power. We Indians always get bugget series things and at a very high price. Why it is so unfair with us.

For e.g EVGA x58 Classified cost $409 i.e 17k but the same board is not available in India and even if it comes then it would cost more than 36k. Why all you manufacturers being so unfair with us.

the same Core i7 cost just $999 i.e 49k on newegg and i am paying 56k. why? why?

Secondly our stupid government has such high import taxes on electronics and I.T products. Why do we PC enthusiast pay for the price, why do we have to compromise? Not all PC enthusiast are multi-millionaires.

I wanted to buy HAF 932 they said that it was out of stock, later when i decided to buy HAF 922 they said that now it is out of stock too.

Wish we had the same facility as the americans get. What do you guys think?

Core i9 will be in not much benefit for normal users. There's not even many multi-threded programs for a quad core yet , and already 6 core. Total waste. They're just fast forwarding too much. There needs to be a ratio between software and hardware,until then 6 Cores are only for Servers.

Gannu said:
Totally wrong there! The i7 975 carries that price tag 'cos of a market monopoly! Simply put there's not an offering from AMD which could match the performance or excel the i7 975.

And this was the trend since long. The Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 840, the Athlon FX series had a similar price tag when they were launched only to have come down when successive processors beat them in their own league!

Your fact could hold true from a bencher's POV since this has unlocked multipliers in addition. In any case, the launch of the i9 processor should see the price of the 975/065 come down by a huge margin. ;)

I guess you have forgotten that there were 2 chips in the previous generation, Q9650 and QX9650. If Intel was not charging for the Unlocked multiplier on QX9650 for overclocking then what exactly was it charging extra for??? Ofcourse there official statement would never mention the overclocking part but it was clear they wanted to cash in from the overclocking and general enthusiasts....

^Lol and why would you guess that? Was there any offering from AMD to counter the QX? Pretty much the same with the previous 65nm offering, the QX6800. :rofl:

And absolutely no resale value for these chips!

Gannu said:
^Lol and why would you guess that? Was there any offering from AMD to counter the QX? Pretty much the same with the previous 65nm offering, the QX6800. :rofl:

And absolutely no resale value for these chips!

Except for a stupid smiley, I didnt see any explanation about why would the prices of QX9650 and Q9650 would be exorbitantly different when on stock both had the same speed and cache???? Ofcourse there might not be any resale value in India because there are not many extreme overclockers but QX was certainly a hit for Intel.

Oh and was there an AMD counter to the normal Q9650??? Before they brought out the better phenoms much later.....

Ofcourse its all marketing strategy and all but Intel knows what these QX are used for, and thats why they charged extra for it. And ofcourse if there would have been more competition then the prices would have been lower...But saying that extreme processors carry their price tag just because there is nothing matching the speed is completely wrong as well, specially in light of an Offering called Q9650 which matched the speed of QX9650 without the unlocked multiplier....

Infact if you trace back to older reviews, you will get to know that the Extreme Processors were released to tap the overclocking segment......

This is very true. If you do a little more digging you can find that its just that Intel wants to stand in the top.

And not to forget simply because its the fastest thing on this planet.

Many would have seen this review but for those who didn't,you clearly see i7 outperforms AMD's top of the line offering . But what really matters is BY how much and FOR how much.

i7 gives you max 2 mins faster encoding

And doesn't even manage to beat Phenom II in Farcry2. And the pricing ? Phenom II - 10 k ---Core i7 975 -56000.Not trying to put down the i7 but i7 975 just isnt't worth it. Best Bet ? i7 920 and OC !

Look for yourself:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-975,2318.html

thebanik said:
Except for a stupid smiley, I didnt see any explanation about why would the prices of QX9650 and Q9650 would be exorbitantly different when on stock both had the same speed and cache????

It's alright since you tend to be blind otherwise. I'd already put up the reason before. I shall stop!

Gannu said:
It's alright since you tend to be blind otherwise. I'd already put up the reason before. I shall stop!

Oh Yeah, you have??? Can you quote that again??? And I guess you have not been blind enough to see that the question is that why price difference between Q9650 and QX9650, if not for the unlocked multiplier......

Guys finally i bought all the same specs above and with my Viewsonic VX2433 monitor
My currrent spces are.

CPU - Core i7 975 EE - 56,000
Motherboard - Gigabyte X58 UD5 - 17,750
RAM - OCZ Reaper 6 GB 1600 MHZ CAS 7 - 13300
GPU - Zotac GTX 275 AMP - 15750
HDD - WD Black Cavair - 6700
PSU - Corsair 750 TX 750W - 8100
Cabinet - CM Sorm Sniper - 10500

finally i got my system for Rs 1,28,000.

Back