Suggestions required for a ultra-compact but powerful desktop

Mohit

Skilled
I want to build an ultra compact space saving gaming desktop. I do not see any branded ones offering great configurations. Please suggest accordingly. Thanks.

Q1: What is your budget?

35K (a bit more if really required)

Q2: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

I need the following components:

1. CPU

2. Motherboard

3. HDD

4. UPS

5. GPU

6. Monitor

7. Keyboard

8. Mouse

9. PSU

10. Headphone with mic / Headset

Not decided on anything at the moment. But everything needs to be compact and space saving.

Q3: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component.

This will be my final configuration. I don't want to keep tinkering with it and making changes.

Q4: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Online

2. Local dealers in Raipur

3. TE dealer

4. Any other good sources

Q5: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market?

Yes. If the product is in good condition and with warranty.

Q6: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware?

1. Gaming

2. Surfing

3. Emails

4. Office work

Q7: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Nothing really.

Q8: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. Team Fortress 2

2. Battle Field Bad Company

3. Half Life 2 series

4. Crysis series

Q9: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage?

Gaming - 1440x900

Desktop - 1440x900

I would prefer a 19" / 20" monitor to save space.

Q10: Are you looking to overclock?

No.

Q11: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 x64

FYI only : AnandTech - Small Form Factor Buyers

Core i3 2100 OR Core i5 2400 ~ 5500/- 9500/- Intel Core i3-2100 Processor OR Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2400 CPU
MSi H67MA-E35 ~ 4900/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
G.Skill TRIDENT 2x 2GB 1600 MHz CL-8 ~ 3000/- G-SKILL[ Trident ] PC3-12800 / DDR3 1600 Mhz/cl-8-8-8-24 (2Gx2)
Sapphire HD 6850 1GB ~ 9500/- SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~ 1900/-
Dell IN 2020M ~ 6500/- Dell IN2020M 20" W HD Monitor with LED
Corsair CX 400 ~ 2500/- Corsair Power CX400W
APC RS-600 VA ~ 1900/- Theitdepot - APC Back UPS 600 (BR600CI-IN) (have been using it for a year solid investment)
Theitdepot - Nzxt Vulcan M-atx Gaming Cabinets ~ 4000/- ('tis the only cabinet that I found could fit your needs :( )
Logitech standard keyboard ~ 400/- + Razer Death Adder ~ 2200/- OR Razer Abyssuss ~ 1400/-

Hope this helps.

ALPHA17 said:
Core i3 2100 OR Core i5 2400 ~ 5500/- 9500/- Intel Core i3-2100 Processor OR Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2400 CPU

MSi H67MA-E35 ~ 4900/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.Skill TRIDENT 2x 2GB 1600 MHz CL-8 ~ 3000/- G-SKILL[ Trident ] PC3-12800 / DDR3 1600 Mhz/cl-8-8-8-24 (2Gx2)

Sapphire HD 6850 1GB ~ 9500/- SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~ 1900/-

Dell IN 2020M ~ 6500/- Dell IN2020M 20" W HD Monitor with LED

Corsair CX 400 ~ 2500/- Corsair Power CX400W

APC RS-600 VA ~ 1900/- Theitdepot - APC Back UPS 600 (BR600CI-IN) (have been using it for a year solid investment)

Theitdepot - Nzxt Vulcan M-atx Gaming Cabinets ~ 4000/- ('tis the only cabinet that I found could fit your needs :( )

Logitech standard keyboard ~ 400/- + Razer Death Adder ~ 2200/- OR Razer Abyssuss ~ 1400/-

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed reply. However, the cabinet looks big. I need something really compact. Don't we have any mini-ITX cabinets and motherboards available in India? I don't mind ordering from abroad too as long as the price is reasonable.

^^

Check some HTPC type cases. The ones tht can be put as a desktop instead of tower. Like the new Dell Optiplex workstation ones. U can put the monitor on top of that.

^^ The Dell basic ones (like the flat desktop cabinet in Dell Zino) are so small they can't even accommodate a HD 4670 in them, so OP has to get a low profile HIS IceQ 5670 (which'll still poke out and will be EoL in a few months) or kiss bye to gaming even Team Fortress 2 (until on the crap settings on the HD 2000 IGP).

Hades. said:
Too small man cannot accommodate a decent PSU like the CX 400.

Mohit said:
Thanks for the detailed reply. However, the cabinet looks big. I need something really compact. Don't we have any mini-ITX cabinets and motherboards available in India? I don't mind ordering from abroad too as long as the price is reasonable.
I've a really poor knowledge on Audio equipment and specialized PC components like mini-ITX flatbed cabinets / water cooling DIY-kits and over-clocking so I will not hazard stupid / misleading guesses.

^^ totally agree with you alpha

@OP

If you want to build a gaming rig then just drop the idea of building a compact rig... Coz gaming rigs require good airflow and ventilation to keep the CPU and GPU cool... So IMO you should buy NXXT gamma or NZXT Vulcan...

Hades. said:
CM Elite 360 ~ Rs.2000 is also good for building a compact rig...

That still looks big :(
m-jeri said:
^^

Check some HTPC type cases. The ones tht can be put as a desktop instead of tower. Like the new Dell Optiplex workstation ones. U can put the monitor on top of that.

I was about to PM you. You are using the Apex MI 100 right? How is it and where did you buy it from? Damages?
Hades. said:
@Op

Also checkout CM Elite 100 cabinet...

Elite 100 - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply

In this cabinet you won't be able to install a discrete GPU

I will need a discrete GPU.
Hades. said:
^^ totally agree with you alpha

@OP

If you want to build a gaming rig then just drop the idea of building a compact rig... Coz gaming rigs require good airflow and ventilation to keep the CPU and GPU cool... So IMO you should buy NXXT gamma or NZXT Vulcan...

The rig will be in an A.C. environment always. And I don't think airflow will be a problem. If only we could get cases like the ones mentioned in the Anandtech article in India.
ALPHA17 said:
^^ Hades clear your inbox cannot send you a PM.

@Mohit bruv for your cabinet try contacting the sales rep of IT Wares he might be able to wrangle up a good deal for you -- http://www.techenclave.com/members/theitwares.html. Hope this helps.

Bruv? Do you want me to ask Rahul if he has any good cabinets for my requirements?

Even i am looking for a mini itx and light gaming rig.I play mostly strategy games that are 2-3 years old.So i have decided to go for a amd fusion e-350 mini itx motherboard and antec isk-100 cabinet.Its one of the smallest cabinets out there.Can anyone help with some antec dealers as antec india site does not list this product.or is there any other comparable product in india?

^^ First don't hijack a thread ever Sire, create a new thread and hot-link it to this thread to give a better view of what you want. Also for Antec related deals talk to Sunny27 he can give you a better line on things. And can you provide any images of the cabinet you're planning to acquire.

There is a whole world of SFF computing resources out there. As long as you can source the products that is. Talk to the local Lian Li reps to try and get hold of a PC v35x/PC Qx series case. They retail between $75-150 in the US. Should be possible to get them for slightly more locally.

@those claiming SFF and hi-end don't go together, look at my signature :p

PS - I think itwares had created a thread for Lian Li cabinets that included some SFF options.

^^^^
errr... On a very personal note, that mini tower case is quite wide than normal mid towers...

I mean it saves on the height and length to a certain extent, but gains quite a lot in its width .

Just compare the footprints to say another mini tower:CM elite 360

Lian V354 ==> (W) 245mm x (H) 320mm x (D) 420mm
CM 360 ==> (W) 148mm x (H) 360mm x (D) 439 mm

Thats roughly 10 cms wider

Mini-Itx casings are like really slim with averge width as 130-135 mm
Even if u were able to fit a decent card, what about a decent psu??
And even if the psu would sumhow fit, i shudder at cable management.

So i`d second the CM 360.

i was also looking for this kind of setup but most of the components have to import and i couldn't find a right cabinet and dropped the idea.Actally i wanted a setup with mini-itx mobo with a 65W Quad,2GB Ram,2.5" HDD,Low profile 5670 or 5770 and mount it behind monitor with Vesa mount kit.For that system Pico-atx PSU can be used but what about GPU.I know there are dell server adapters r available with 200W rating in 6pin, 8pin config with which GPU can be powered but hard to find and import.

okay guys.i have finally found a good solution to the op problem.in terms of compactness and reliability.its the new zotac zbox barebones pc with amd e-350 processor.very compact design.you can put in your ram and hard drive without a screwdriver.very silent.comes with a vesa mount to mount it on your monitor.very silent.usb 3.esata.hdmi.could not find it in my local market or online yet.i guess will have to wait a bit for it to launch in india.it costs 250 dollars in the us right now.any zotac dealers on te?

drsingh said:
okay guys.i have finally found a good solution to the op problem.in terms of compactness and reliability.its the new zotac zbox barebones pc with amd e-350 processor.very compact design.you can put in your ram and hard drive without a screwdriver.very silent.comes with a vesa mount to mount it on your monitor.very silent.usb 3.esata.hdmi.could not find it in my local market or online yet.i guess will have to wait a bit for it to launch in india.it costs 250 dollars in the us right now.any zotac dealers on te?
Look bruv, an MSi based solution is already available from The ITWares, they have a sales rep here I think his name is Rahul http://www.techenclave.com/members/theitwares.html, here is the board costs ~ 7900/- + shipping. And it can hardly be up-graded (atleast the CPU which is everything). And it most definitely does not run GTA IV.

Bruv, I'm not objecting to your answers but I'm telling you if OP has said he wants to play games like GTA IV suggesting an AMD Fusion APU based ITX-solution is out of the ball-game, even Llano just about cuts it when it goes head to head against a Core i3 2100 (its HD 6650 IGP mauls the Intel HD 2000 but the rest is just about average performance for a quad-core), forget about sizing it against an Intel quad say -- Intel Core i5 2400.

AnandTech - Bench - CPU -- Here an AMD A8-3850 (Llano) gets trampled by a Core i5 2400.

AnandTech - Bench - CPU -- AN E-350 (Fusion APU) gets decimated by the Core i3 2100.

Back