PC Peripherals Surfing & VOIP with Cell Phone

sambit

Disciple
I am out on a office trip in chennai and the place where I'm staying doesnt have broadband connection.
I have a Dell Latitude lapotop and a nokia 6260 cell phone. Now I want to know if I want to access VOIP and general surfing using my 6260 as modem then what i need to do ? Also whether I can at all do that or not ?
I have jotted down the following things which I need

1. A GPRS connection on my cell
2. A headset for VOIP.
3. A data cable to connect my lappy to my cell ( I dont know whether my lappy has Wi-fi or not)

Anything else ?? It will be helpful if u techies can help me out in setting up the thing.
Also do I need any special kind of GPRS connection to use VOIP or ordinary GPRS will do ??

Thx in advance.

1- yes, you need the gprs conn

2- GPRS connections do not have enough bandwidth (in practise) and have too high latency to enable a decent VoIP..At best you can access your email or check some light sites

3- Datacable/Bluetooth/IR connectivity between the PC and phone (phones typically do not have wifi anyway)

4 Since you have a nokia , just use the Free Nokia PC suite to setup the dialup on the PC to use GPRS..It's pretty straightforward and self explanatory while uising the Nokia PC suite

AFAIK , the internet connection speed that u get by using ur cellphone
is not that gr8.

I tried this using my Nokia 3650 and my desktop pc i got speed of about 1-2 KBps.

Thats really useless, normal net surfing and VOIP requires a much faster
connection so that voice data can be sent.

Beats me.

I used a GPRS connection to surf the web sometime back while in the rural hinterlands of Bihar for a week....

I could check my Gmail account, check news, serach google etc....but forget about content heavy sites and of course VoIP

At best, I used to get 20-25 kbps...so u can forget d/l ing too (that;d be 2-3 KBps)...but OK to use for lack of a better choice when in need....

Actually Reliance phones give relatively better connectivity...arnd 40-50kbps

But then for what you have, try making the best use of it

well if GPRS is that useless.... does getting EDGE connection makes more sense?
does EDGE have enuf bandwidth to have a proper VOIP ??
I need the net connection mainly for VOIP.

the problem with current mobile internaet protocols is the latency. Its close to 1000-1500ms almost all over.

So even if edge gives you extra bandwidth its still not suitable for VOIP on mobile. There will be lot of delay and conversation overlap due to this.

Most mobile operator support only one-way edge...i.e you can stream video/audio using edge from the library of content that te service provide has

:( too bad......VOIP wud hv really saved me a lot of money on phone calls.......

so it seems thr is nothing i can do

anyway thx to all u guys for help

Back