PC Peripherals Surge Protector for my PC

Belkin surge protectors are supposed to be good with lifetime warranty. I'm using it for several years but not too sure if surge protectors are competent enough to protect the equipments.

Belkin is my favourite as well, they even have some damage coverage offerings if something goes wrong, I have one that says damage protection up to 20k.

Do you have a UPS for the PC? If you can afford it, I would suggest to for APC UPS, rather than a surge protector. With UPS, you will also get battery backup, along with surge protection. It will be much costlier than what you want now, but if you can afford it, it is totally worth it.

^

That's great, btw, does this model support Sine wave smps? I can get one too in that case. Previously I had 1 APC Back UPS but that was not compatible with Corsair HX 620 watt. Right now I have Seasonic 1050 watt.

^

That's great, btw, does this model support Sine wave smps? I can get one too in that case. Previously I had 1 APC Back UPS but that was not compatible with Corsair HX 620 watt. Right now I have Seasonic 1050 watt.
My VX550 is not a sine wave PSU
You can look here though.We have a Luminous inverter and it too works quite well.

https://www.luminouseshop.com/collections/pure-sine-wave-inverter

But I guess others who have this sort of a setup are better qualified to answer this than me.

I too have APC 600 VA. It was my first APC UPS, and it has been serving me well since quite some years now. It was around 1500/-, when I had got it.

APC BX600C-IN 600 VA, which should be enough for a regular desktop PC, is costing 2771/- on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.in/APC-BX600C-600...e=UTF8&qid=1503497930&sr=8-1&keywords=apc+ups

Yes, it's a bit costly, but really, it is totally worth it.

Prior to APC, I had bought Microtek UPS. It was really bad. Within a few months of usage, the battery backup turned pretty bad. Even when I got a new original battery, it was even worse than the previous one. Later on, it hardly gave me any time to shutdown the PC... just a few seconds. I still kept using it. In the end, it turned bad, and it became the cause for my dead motherboard of the earlier desktop. That's when I learned my lesson to not put money in cheap products, if you can afford it.

APC BX600C-IN 600 VA, which should be enough for a regular desktop PC, is costing 2771/- on Amazon.

Amazon is a strict no no nowadays for PC gear as stuff are always overpriced there compared to street prices.

The APC I got was listed for 6.6k odd there.

If you are planning to buy something compare amazon prices with primeabgb or mdcomputers websites to get an idea about the street prices.

Do you have a UPS for the PC? If you can afford it, I would suggest to for APC UPS, rather than a surge protector. With UPS, you will also get battery backup, along with surge protection. It will be much costlier than what you want now, but if you can afford it, it is totally worth it.

Nah that's way over budget.I already cut a few corners for my Ryzen build.My max budget is 800,can't really go higher than that.

Nah that's way over budget.I already cut a few corners for my Ryzen build.My max budget is 800,can't really go higher than that.
Don't run your gear on just a surge protector as if something happens you will cry yourself to sleep at night.
Say you are doing a BIOS upgrade which you will have to do anyways with Ryzen memory issues and the power conks out during the upgrade?

Save a bit and get at least a 600VA APC UPS for peace of mind.

Amazon is a strict no no nowadays for PC gear as stuff are always overpriced there compared to street prices.

The APC I got was listed for 6.6k odd there.

If you are planning to buy something compare amazon prices with primeabgb or mdcomputers websites to get an idea about the street prices.

Thank you. Good tip. Much appreciated :).

Oh okay. As I said, if it fits your budget. But, if you can't buy a UPS now, do plan to buy it when you can at the earliest.

Say you are doing a BIOS upgrade which you will have to do anyways with Ryzen memory issues and the power conks out during the upgrade?

Save a bit and get at least a 600VA APC UPS for peace of mind.

That's really a good reason. For BIOS upgrades, you do need a battery backup, because if power goes out during that, it's done for.

What is missing? What is the threat? Potentially destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules. What does that Belkin or APC claim to 'absorb'? Hundreds? A thousand joules? That is near zero protection. Always read specification numbers. Always ignore any recommendation that is subjective.

A surge that tiny can be converted by electronics into rock stable, low DC voltages to safely power its semiconductors. One would spend so much money to only protect from a surge that is not even destructive? Worse, a potentially destructive surge blows through (damages) a near zero joule protector.

View spec numbers for a UPS. It is even tinier. Someone recommended even less protection because specification numbers were ignored.

If that PC needs protection, then everything (dishwasher, dimmer switches, central air, refrigerator, CFL & LED bulbs, etc) everything needs that protection. Informed consumers spend tens of times less money (per protected appliance) by properly earthing a 'whole house' solution.

Numbers. Lightning can be 20,000 amps. So a minimal 'whole house' protector is 50,000 amps. Then protection remains functional for decades after many direct lightning strikes. None of those plug-in protectors will even discuss such protection.

That 50,000 amps defines protector life expectancy over many surges. Protection during each surge is defined by what harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. That is the always required 'single point earth ground'. What do ineffective protectors not have and will not discuss? A low impedance (ie less than 3 meter) hardwire connection to earth.

Every layer of protection is only defined by the item that harmlessly dissipates surge energy. Each protection layer is only defined by earth ground. Protector does not do protection. Protector is simply a connecting device (low impedance: ie hardwire has no sharp bends) to what dissipates a surge. Earth ground.

Protection is always defined by an answer to this question. Where are hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly absorbed? A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Spend tens of times less money on what always exists in facilities that cannot have damage.

Back