CPU/Mobo System acting strange after installing/removing GTX 580

Kira

Disciple
Current specs:-

i7 920 @ stock

X58A-UD5 rev1.0 (F7 BIOS) BIOS was updated from F6 to F7 last year Nov 2011.

EVGA 9600GT 1GB GDDR3 @ 2-way SLI

TX650W (old one, bought 4yrs ago)

Lancool PC-K62

M2700HD (using DVI cable)

6GB DDR3 GSkill 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.6V (slots used are 1,3,5 - triple channel)

Noctua NH-D14

Win 7 Ultimate x64

Changes done:-

All my hardware are 4yrs old except GTX 580 which is only 10 months old.

Removed both 9600GT & installed EVGA GTX 580.

Problem:-

Bios detects all 3 RAM modules. But usable is only 4GB. The same is shown via System Info when you're in Windows > Right-click My Computer > Properties

Boot process goes till - "Verifying DMI pool data" > "Detecting DRAM size..."

and then restarts automatically 3 times, sometimes 4. On the 4th or 5th run, it finally goes till windows & this time you only get "Verifying DMI pool data". The "Detecting DRAM size..." line does not appear.

I googled this & came up with these - results

Haven't had time to clean & reseat the RAM sticks & mobo. Will do it during the weekend. Helluva time in office this week.
<

Removed GTX 580 & re-installed 9600GT in SLI. The problem persisted which was totally unexpected. Had a true WTF moment last night.

Any quick suggestions?

if i am not wrong, the problem is with one (or even both) of your RAM modules. try cleaning them and use one at a time to check the faulty RAM.

quick pointers?

try what has been suggested by rakesh. See that all rams are seated propely.

Also if ur comfy, try updating the mobo Bios.

I had faced a similar situation on my htpc board . One fine day she wnt recognise one fo the ram slots, and it was random.sometime slot 1 was getting undtected and then sometimes slot.Went to maufacturers site and saw a list of bios addressing "system unstability". Updated and whoosh! Been runing like charm for the past 3 months
<

remove the 9600 gt and use it 580 gtx single card and test if working and reset the bios and u need to run memory test the ram if any error

Back