PC Peripherals System Automatically Reboots

veagles

Disciple
My system reboots on its own every few hours. Its driving me crazy. I am not able to figure out what exactly the problem is. Hope you guys can help me out. I am sure if this is the right thread. So mods please move it if necessary.

Here are a couple of observation i have made.
1. Reboots are random. It happens once every 6-9 hours. Its not frequent.
2. I have reinstalled vista. I still have the problem. This should rule out any software related issue. (No virus, spyware, other conflicts)
3. The temperatures are normal. There is no overheating in any component.
4. I ran a stability stress test(using everest) for 2 hours, the system did not reboot. The reboots are totally random.
5. The voltages from smps(Powersafe 400W) seem to be fine.
6. Very rarely, i have this issue where my system refuses to switch on. My motherboard(Intel 945GNT) produces 3 beeps. It boots fine if i disconnect the power, leave it for a few minutes, and connect it back.
7. I am using APC UPS. I dont think there is anything wrong with it..
8. One more important thing. There is no error message, or blue screen of death. Just plain reboots.

I think this has to be a hardware related issue. Its got to be either the power supply or the motherboard.
My config in brief: Pentium D805 + Intel D945GNT + Geforce 9500GT + PowerSafe 400W + 2GB 667 MHz Transcend RAM + Sony DVD Writer.

Please leave a reply if you have any suggestions..

During booting go to the system startup screen by pressing F8 and select the option Disable automatic retart on Sytem Failure. Now if there is a system failure u will able to see the blue screen, where you would get the details of the failure in the blue screen code. Write it down and Post it. We will check it.

There may be problem in the Power, is power connection is earthed well?

My PC is not earthed :ashamed: Whats the risk? What do u suggest?

Amax said:
During booting go to the system startup screen by pressing F8 and select the option Disable automatic retart on Sytem Failure. Now if there is a system failure u will able to see the blue screen, where you would get the details of the failure in the blue screen code. Write it down and Post it. We will check it.

There may be problem in the Power, is power connection is earthed well?

Weird problem! has it being solved?

veagles said:
My system reboots on its own every few hours. Its driving me crazy. I am not able to figure out what exactly the problem is. Hope you guys can help me out. I am sure if this is the right thread. So mods please move it if necessary.

Here are a couple of observation i have made.

1. Reboots are random. It happens once every 6-9 hours. Its not frequent.

2. I have reinstalled vista. I still have the problem. This should rule out any software related issue. (No virus, spyware, other conflicts)

3. The temperatures are normal. There is no overheating in any component.

4. I ran a stability stress test(using everest) for 2 hours, the system did not reboot. The reboots are totally random.

5. The voltages from smps(Powersafe 400W) seem to be fine.

6. Very rarely, i have this issue where my system refuses to switch on. My motherboard(Intel 945GNT) produces 3 beeps. It boots fine if i disconnect the power, leave it for a few minutes, and connect it back.

7. I am using APC UPS. I dont think there is anything wrong with it..

8. One more important thing. There is no error message, or blue screen of death. Just plain reboots.

I think this has to be a hardware related issue. Its got to be either the power supply or the motherboard.

My config in brief: Pentium D805 + Intel D945GNT + Geforce 9500GT + PowerSafe 400W + 2GB 667 MHz Transcend RAM + Sony DVD Writer.

Please leave a reply if you have any suggestions..

Try changing how the system handles irq's in the BIOS. If you have OS handling interrupts, then change it to BIOS or reverse it if the other way.

ROCKFELLA said:
My PC is not earthed :ashamed: Whats the risk? What do u suggest?

Whats the risk? At this I would like to say "Better be safe then sorry". :)
I hope you know about the effect of the Static current. if do not you better know it. As most the people will ignor it while assembling or may be lucky that they have not suffered by it,but it does harm.

Suppose that ur PC is not earthed and u touch the PC the Static electricity in your body will find a way to the circuitry inside the PC since ur PC is not earthed. It only takes about 10v of static electricity to damage micro circuitry in a PC. The human body can easily store over 10,000v of static electricity without you even being aware of it. (If you think back to your high school physics class, you'll remember why static voltage isn't life threatening. Its amperage is miniscule. And it's amps, not volts, which are dangerous.The beating of your heart and breathing generates static electricity. You can't get away from it. Even will typing you develop it.) Without earthing means, u removed the path to ground.

Apart from that also when assembling you should take care of the static eletricity discharge from the body.Static electricity is sometime named as slow computer killer. The worse thing is that the component you have installed may work fine, but after sometimes u will find ur PC acting strangely. :mad: A dead board or RAM module is easy to diagnose if it doesn't work immediately after you install it, but low-voltage static charges can also cause latent damage, destroying a few gates out of the millions in a typical integrated circuit. That damage can be almost impossible to diagnose, and may not cause problems for a long time.

What do u suggest? Well first check the AC wiring it must be earthed. Always be cautioned when upgrading ur components. Discharge ur body before handling it. Try to handle by touch the the non-circuitry part of the component. While assembling outside the PC case, check whether there is a provision for grounding or so. Also you can go for more saftey by wearing anti static wrist strap. There is also good thing that PC parts company have realised it and some of them are in a process of producing motherboard with all sorts of anti static features that stop you from shorting it by accident e.g. magnetic plating (some Asus motherboard's have).

That sort of precaution are being followed at the assembly level of big manufacturing industry for sensitive part. Have you not seen the guies working in factory manufacturing parts having some code of dressing and discharging before they go to the work. If not atleast you have seen those guies in the INTEL ADD in the TV :eek:hyeah:

After all the above next time handle ur rig with care.

:wow: never thought that way, I just start assembling one after another.
Amax you have hit the right spot :gun2: . It may be so most off my friend PC suffer unable to understnd the main cause :doctor: , one cause can be that they do upgrade frequently, I don' think they care about all those stuff. Even I never cared about it :ashamed:

Next time will care and caution :hap2: . :goodjob: mate.

May be your hard disk in not getting proper power from smps .

Try using another molex connector which worked for me earlier.

Back