Storage Solutions System compatibility with Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD - Help Needed

Hey everyone, So i've been looking to get a 1tb m.2 ssd for a while now & after looking at the prices i've decided to go with a samsung 980 pro, since there isn't a huge price difference between other companies and samsung for this storage capacity (i'm seeing 1,500-2,000 price difference so i don't mind paying that for the 'premium').

What I am slightly worried about is if my current motherboard can utilize the ssd read/write speeds fully ( I have no idea about PCI stuff). I have an Asrock B450M Steel Legend. Thanks for the help.

Ha ha i was thinking same thing but was hesitant to create a thread for this. I have a rather old board Z170 Pro gaming or whatever. Wondering whether it will be able to run something like 980 Pro at its full potential.

Your board is capable upto Gen 3/pcie 3 while the 980 pro is a gen 4/pcie 4 capable, so it will perform upto gen3/ pcie 3 speeds

Your board is capable upto Gen 3/pcie 3 while the 980 pro is a gen 4/pcie 4 capable, so it will perform upto gen3/ pcie 3 speeds
This is what I was not sure about. Initially I thought that even if this is the case, I can still get the PCI 4 so that when I upgrade my system itself I wouldn't have to worry too much about storage upgrade again. However, As of this morning the price of samsung is gone up a 1000 rupees so its 9k now and crucial's gen3 is half that price so its got me thinking again as to what would be best right now.

It depends on ur use case scenario if you really need that extra speed for your workflow
Be ready to pay the premium if not it's better to go for the cheaper one for normal day to day tasks

Absolutely not worth it, get whichever is cheaper among SN570/980/970 Evo Plus instead. It should be anywhere between 4.5-5.5k after card offers. The Crucial P3 is fine for normal day to day use, office work, gaming etc. but it will not be suitable for large, sustained writes.

Also, the 980 Pro runs hot and needs a heatsink to avoid throttling (Source: I've had three of them in a mid-tower desktop, SFFPC as well as a laptop). You'll need to shell out extra if your board does have one.

Last edited:
Absolutely not worth it, get whichever is cheaper among SN570/980/970 Evo Plus instead. It should be anywhere between 4.5-5.5k after card offers. The Crucial P3 is fine for normal day to day use, office work, gaming etc. but it will not be suitable for large, sustained writes.

Also, the 980 Pro runs hot and needs a heatsink to avoid throttling (Source: I've had three of them in a mid-tower desktop, SFFPC as well as a laptop). You'll need to shell out extra if your board does have one.
Yeah I'm definitely not going to go for 980 pro as I don't really have any intensive tasks that I need to run. The heatsink thing also came to my mind as I live in a hot area so pc needs cooling solutions.
Most likely going to go for the crucial or the WD at this point. Don't really see the point of samsung 'premium' now. (even with the 970 evo plus)

I doubt most people, including gamers will see a difference between Gen3 & Gen4 NVMe.

Still, this is a top Gen4 NVMe for 7k:
If you will be upgrading rig soon, then can consider this.

Else just get WD SN570 for 5k now & get a Gen4 NVMe during that time. Maybe prices will fall further.

Back