Biostar ta785ge-128m
Amd athlon x2 240
local psu 400w
Kingston 2gb ddr2 ram
CRT monitor 17''
Seagate 1TB 7200.12
Windows XP

My Problem:-
I have been using this system for past 2years and had no problem till last week. When i started my system it took 20mins to boot and while using the system it frequently freezes while using 2 or more application Ex: Firefox Mozilla & VLC player.It freezes for a good amount of 120 to 180seconds. It is worse when I open games like Price of Persia, Americas Army etc and software like Photoshop, Illustrator because system does not respond at all and I have to close these programs via control panel.

Technical Details:-
  • While booting I hear 15-20 beep sounds.
  • When I open heavy programs I hear 20-25 beeps.
  • Temperatures are normal
CPU is at 35-39degrees.
HDD is at 40-41degrees.

I did few things to repair my system before posting here,
  1. I removed all the parts cleaned the cabinet and assembled again checking the connection.
  2. Applied new thermal paste to processor.
  3. Checked my system with my friends PSU(Gigabyte 460W).
These things did not work the problem still continues.

For testing hardware problems i used certain programs like, Burn In Test and Memtest86 these programs showed no error after the test.

So now I am out of ideas :D can any one say what the problem is?

BTW there are certain things l would like to mention,
  1. System does not restart automatically
  2. No blue screen errors
  3. Actually it does not show any error at all

Did I miss anything?

look out for blown or oversized capicators...i have recently faced a similar random freezing issue on my system..had to change capacitors !

look out for blown or oversized capicators...i have recently faced a similar random freezing issue on my system..had to change capacitors !
well i do not see any over sized capacitors on the motherboard,BTW how much does it cost?
You mentioned beeps. Could you tell us the number of beeps. It might be useful for diagnosis
i mentioned about beeps in my first post.....
  • While booting I hear 15-20 beep sounds.
  • When I open/start/double click heavy programs I hear 20-25 beeps.

:O keyboard?
can a keyboard be the cause for system freezing
will check with a new keyboard.

BTW now i am using frontech usb keyboard with zebronics mouse[DOUBLEPOST=1365531893][/DOUBLEPOST]I have changed the keyboard and tried my friends RAM with my system,but still the problem continues!!
any other ideas guys?

I am sorry, I meant that it could be due to USB.

Since we are unable to troubleshoot a hardware issue, would suggest to check for bad sectors on the HDD. Apart from that, try to check for any software which could be slowing down your machine.

Download HD Sentinel.
Check the error report. If it mentions something about problems between communication between disk and host then replace the HDD cable, and unplug everything else on the same power cable as the drive.

Run chkdsk and scan for bad sectors.

If that doesn't help, then unplug your DVD drive, and check again.
If it still freezes, run your computer off a USB stick, with everything else unplugged, and see if the problem recurs.

Btw...are the beeps continuous? Or do you get something like 3 beeps - pause - 3 beeps?
Check your motherboard manual, it'll have a list of error codes. Use it to track down the fault.

Do you have 1 stick of RAM or 2? If you have 2, then try booting up with only 1.

Back