Budget 21-30k Tablet for Father - Pls advise timely

sunandoghosh

Disciple
Tablet for Father - Pls advise timely

Dear Experts,
Need to buy tablet for my father. He uses android mobile currently. So aware of basic features to use. His primary usage would be using apps like IRCTC movies youtube and emails web surfing etc. Play store download apps.

Pls suggest based on following requirements:

1. Ram ideally 4 GB so that things don’t slow up
2. Decent processor
3. Android based tablet as its same as his mobile and learning curve is minimal
4. Should be atleast WIFI (SIM is optional)

Budget max can be stretched to 25 to 30K (ideally better if its 20K nearby but can be stretched)

Kindly advise

When it comes to tablets, better get iPad mini or 2021 ipad that costs around 30k. There is no learning curve at all. There will be some interesting offers during republic day sale.

What screen size you want? Since it has to be android, samsung galaxy tab A7, realme pad are options.

Else iPad base version is an option. I personally think he will enjoy ipad more but then no way to properly sideload apps and such so that's a negative.

Go with base ipad 2021 or used ipad 2020 for slightly cheaper. Apple Tabs are far better both in terms of hardware and especially in software compared to Android ones. Software is really good and intuitive especially for elders.

If sticking to Android domain, Moto G70 tab has been recently announced. It meet all your requirements. It's based on stock Android, so no bloatware apart from Google apps. Do check it out.

In case of Apple tablets....I had Ipad mini and it use to support Netflix and all but later Apple removed it . They dont support the device for long so it is an investment for much shorter time than less price higher end Android tablets.

I must admit though it was very solid build and every thing felt worth the money except for Apple support for its product. They force people to keep buying their stuff in a year or 2 max even if their product can easily go on for much longer.

This is just my personal experience dont have much more to add tbh .

I have an iPad Mini (old model) and Android Lenovo (2 y). The Apple device is miles ahead. It never hangs, app support is good, no learning curve. But more expensive eco system.

Honestly if you have a maximum budget of 30k, then you might as well get your father the base iPad, which comes to exactly 30k. There is absolutely no competition when it comes to tablets at that price point.

However, if you must only buy an Android tablet, then get the 4GB ram variant of the Realme Pad. It's under 20k, but it's possibly the best cheap/budget tablet there is right now. Keep in mind though, that this tablet is not going to get any future OS updates.

Are you guys sure there is no learning curve from Android to iOS. I, at 35, sometimes find it difficult to learn a new platform. For someone who use both Android and iOs devices, it might not seem like a big deal, but someone who solely uses Android will either find things at different places or even completely missing.
It would be prudent to first look at your father's usage and see if his work flow remains similar in both Android and iOS, otherwise he might face problems. I face this problem, even in Android when I have to upgrade my Mom's mobile every 3 - 4 years.

In case of Apple tablets....I had Ipad mini and it use to support Netflix and all but later Apple removed it . They dont support the device for long so it is an investment for much shorter time than less price higher end Android tablets.

I must admit though it was very solid build and every thing felt worth the money except for Apple support for its product. They force people to keep buying their stuff in a year or 2 max even if their product can easily go on for much longer.

You sure you talking about iPads? I am sure apple allows you to download older compatible version of an app if there was one available. I have Netflix installed on my iOS 9.x.x OS iPad 2 (a device from 2011) and it does work. Not sure where you get the feeling of they forcing people to buy devices in 2 years. I am using my 2015 bought iPhone 6S and it is in its 7th year with only battery changes done and running latest iOS with a reasonable performance.

I really doubt even people who hate apple will be on same page as you w.r.t the things you mentioned.

PS: My iPad 2 from 2011(I bought used in 2012) still works absolutely fine (home button is little wonky but assistive touch helps) and I use it as clock at home.

I personally have a Lenovo Tab 8, it’s compact but fully featured and relatively powerful for the price. You can perhaps look at a larger size for his needs.

Apple admitted to this slowing battery etc. Google. Nothing to do with the above reccos. Just for info only.

Yes I am aware about it. I never deny that. I am just saying that they force to new device is far fetched as most people who buy apple do it with intention of keeping for several years and not something they intend to change when next iteration comes.

One may/may not like iOS / iPad OS for what it has or hasn’t vis-a-vis android - and thats a personal preference which I respect.

However stating that the lifecycle is short is objectively incorrect.

Support lifecycle of devices is a parameter where they fare drastically better than android .
Add the relatively faster processors they use as against a comparably priced android tab - and its almost a given that most new buyers will derive a much longer usable life from an iPad than an android tab

Back