Tata Indicom's Photon+ - High Speed Internet Access

ultraportable

Disciple
Tata Indicom introduces Photon+, its new High Speed Internet Access (HSIA) service. Upto 2.4 Mbps Downlink speed, With the USB port interface you can now simply plug the USB Modem device into either a Laptop or your Desktop PC & get ready to access high speed internet connectivity.

Is there any modem Reliance introduced which offer same kind of speed?

Reliance had introduced the Wireless internet Modem quite a while back.......but as far as i know...the speeds that they boast is way less than....BSNL and now the TATA.....but Reliance in a short while is introducing or has launched high speed wireless...net.......with the same speed as suggested above for the TATA...

ultraportable said:
Tata Indicom introduces Photon+, its new High Speed Internet Access (HSIA) service. Upto 2.4 Mbps Downlink speed, With the USB port interface you can now simply plug the USB Modem device into either a Laptop or your Desktop PC & get ready to access high speed internet connectivity.

Is there any modem Reliance introduced which offer same kind of speed?

Tata Photon+ had been launched quite a while ago

As per Tata Indicom site -> "This service is presently available only in select areas of Chennai , Jammu & Kashmir & North East States.. "

Im using this and its quite good. Its similar to the BSNL EVDO. The speeds vary a lot, not consistent at all. During the night I get about 120-140kBps. Day time its much less.

If they had priced it at Rs 1000, it would have been awesome. But at 1.5k its a bit high.

varkey said:
Im using this and its quite good. Its similar to the BSNL EVDO. The speeds vary a lot, not consistent at all. During the night I get about 120-140kBps. Day time its much less.

If they had priced it at Rs 1000, it would have been awesome. But at 1.5k its a bit high.

Mate you should have opted for BSNL EVDO...its 750 rs a month.......

HSIA Photon Usb Modem

Speed Upto 2.4 Mbps Downlink speed . Actual internet speed will depend on multiple factors like time of the day, number of simultaneous users, web page accessed, etc.

Its service is now available in Chennai ( I mean, within the chennai city limits).

I bought one day before yesterday. They Charge 3.5k for the USB modem and 1.5k permonth for the speed upto 2.4 Mbps. (Unlimited usage)

I have checked it around few places in Chennai, in Velachery I got a speed of 1.6 Mbps, KK Nagar - 1.4 Mbps, T. Nagar - 1.5 Mbps and in Kovilambakkam I am getting about 2 Mbps speed. (as per the guy who activated my connection we will get around 1.4 Mbps average all over the city).

@gmano, wow you the connection already eh :D Would like to get this connection, but don't think i can afford 5k right now :(

Saiyan said:
@gmano, wow you the connection already eh :D Would like to get this connection, but don't think i can afford 5k right now :(

Yes I got the connection immediately. I called the tataindicom guy by 12 pm, he came to my place same day by 3.30 pm, paid 3.5k and gave address proof and id proof, tata guy handed over the USB modem to me, next day morning by 11 am one other guy came to verify the address and activated the line. Its that simple.

You dont need 5k right now, you need only 3.5k right now :p

hmmm ..... i have also got VSNL one for 4.2k initially and 600 per month for 2Mbps unltd :D ...... speeds are not that great here, i am getting 200-1500kbps depending upon time. maybe network is not good here but for surfing it gr8 , far far better than the crappy phone connection

superczar said:
speeds stable all along, eh?
Me getting it today :)

gmano - Is it really steady? Cause I have this connection and speeds vary a lot. In one direction it gives me 100kBps and if I tilt my laptop slightly the speed drops to 30-40 kBps etc. Also even if I keep it stationary at a desk it still varies. :(

varkey said:
gmano - Is it really steady? Cause I have this connection and speeds vary a lot. In one direction it gives me 100kBps and if I tilt my laptop slightly the speed drops to 30-40 kBps etc. Also even if I keep it stationary at a desk it still varies. :(

Its not steady, but I use it with a desktop I keep the modem in a steady position, I get an average speed of 180 KBps while downloading torrents. (Its not bad for the price we pay, I think)

gmano said:
Its not steady, but I use it with a desktop I keep the modem in a steady position, I get an average speed of 180 KBps while downloading torrents. (Its not bad for the price we pay, I think)

Average 180kBps :O :O

Im not getting that much. :( It shows full signal but I get speeds above 100kBps only at night. :( :(

I was looking to switch over from my Tata Indicom plug and surf thingy to something more reliable and a lot faster........... Any ideas if Photon+ is available in Mumbai as well??? Or anything else for that matter?

Back