Tata Indicom's Photon+ - High Speed Internet Access

buBleZ said:
^^ WTH.. thats awesome avg speed on torrents that too for 1500.. Hope it comes to all places :(

But Im using the same connection and I get full signal but speeds rarely cross 100. Mostly its in the 50-60 range. :( :(

there's a high degree of variability involved and the speeds are mostly a function of your distance from the neared EVDO enabled tower

varkey said:
But Im using the same connection and I get full signal but speeds rarely cross 100. Mostly its in the 50-60 range. :( :(

Tried placing the modem near a window? (using the extension card) tried with some good private tracker torrents with good number of seeders?

gmano said:
Tried placing the modem near a window? (using the extension card) tried with some good private tracker torrents with good number of seeders?

Yes tried all that. Went with my laptop to the terrace of a 10 storey building and still its the same.

Also I tried torrents from good private trackers like TorrentLeech, good http links. All the same. :( :(

kashmiri said:
They are cheating , IN Kashmir we hardly are getting 200-300 KBPS that too not constantly. Visit TATA KAshmir Outages blog Internet Providers : Tata Indicom : Outtages, Network, - Powered by CO.CC and kindly share your experiences in that

If you get 300KB/s then you are getting more than what you were promised. 2.4Mb/s means 2.4 Megabit per second and the speed that you are shown during downloads is in KB(Kilobytes) per second not Kb(Kilobit) per second.

1 byte = 8 bit

hotshot05 said:
If you get 300KB/s then you are getting more than what you were promised. 2.4Mb/s means 2.4 Megabit per second and the speed that you are shown during downloads is in KB(Kilobytes) per second not Kb(Kilobit) per second.

1 byte = 8 bit

2.4 Mbps = 2.4 x 1024 = 2457.6, Kbps which is 2457.6/8 = 307.2 KBps.

300 KBps is possible in a 2.4Mbps connection isn't it?

gmano said:

I did not have a calculator with me at that time.

Yeah, it is theoritically possible but practically almost impossible to have such a 100% efficiency unless used for torrents. For some reason only torrent users get speeds more than that advertised.

gmano said:

if u check his blog he shows speeds of 100-300kbps and not 300KBps. So I guess its just too slow

A quick question for people who have used this in Chennai. Should I consider Photon, or Reliance Wimax? Is this stable enough to be used 24x7?

Also, what is the total monthly bill inclusive of taxes?

Checksum said:
A quick question for people who have used this in Chennai. Should I consider Photon, or Reliance Wimax? Is this stable enough to be used 24x7?

Also, what is the total monthly bill inclusive of taxes?

I am using it for the past couple of weeks, It is stable. No signal dropping and all. Download speed is around 180 KBps (sometimes it crosses 200 KBps to me, sometimes less, so it can be averaged at 180 KBps).

Bill : Rs. 1500 + taxes per month for unlimited usage of speeds upto 2.4 mbps.

Reliance wimax charges are more

150 Kbps - Rs.750/- Per month

300 400 Kbps - Rs.999/- Per month ( Plan upgraded recently )

600 Kbps - Rs.1799/- Rs.1399/- Per Month ( Price dropped recently )

1000 Kbps - Rs.2999/- Rs.2199/- Per Month ( Price dropped recently )

Wimax - Reliance Wimax Broadband in Chennai

also in reliance wimax you loose the portability, they fix a dish in the roof and give connection (this is what i heard from the reliance reps)

In my opinion, Photon + is better VFM than the reliance wimax.

You can call the tata photon+ guys for a demo at your place and decide (you can find out whats the exact speed you get before deciding on the product), if you want one of assistant manager's mobile number I can PM you, call that guy to your place and check the speeds :p

Thanks a lot gmano! I'm seriously considering it now. The problem is I need to share my internet connection across 2 PCs and to my wifi modem. So have to run my download rig 24*7 and use it as an internet gateway, which means I need to get a better UPS :p

Anyway don't have many choices right now. Can you please PM me the number? Thanks :)

Just had a demo of this thing. Max it gave was 1100 kbps on speedtest.net. I'm sure had he used the extension wire it would have been better. One thing I noticed was it isn't very responsive. I mean the signal strength is stable, but it suddenly doesn't have any data transfer for like 30 seconds.

Unfortunately, its either putting up with Airtel and its FUP or switching over to this :(

I'm using BSNL EVDO and i've seen connection speeds pick up only when the demand is there.. If i give it a direct download from somethng like microsoft's server's then it goes all the way to 1mbps otherwise it around 100kbps or so only when surfing... Same applies to Photon too i guess?? Speed on demand :S :bleh: Just my thoughts.. :)

@gmano: Have you tried BSNL evdo vs tata indicom. How stable in velachery area? Please share your experience if you have already used this

Adding to what gmano posted, the service is not that good. I tried a demo with a friend's modem and it was pathetic to say the least! Wasn't very pleased with it. Photon+ seems hundred times better in comparison.

Back