Tata Sky Review

There are lots of bloated things about India. Go ahead, label me an unpatriotic buffoon, pessimist and what have you, but even you will agree when we get talking about India's cable TV distribution system. For those not in the know, its a big mafia in itself. Each area is controlled by a goon or a similar equivalent and anyone making the slightest of noises is "taken care of". Thats an exaggeration of course, but you get the picture.

Even if you can live with that, you can certainly not be living with the quality of the signal or the choice of channels Mr. Cable Gangsta offers. And no Siree, no explanation offered for frequent outages and distorted signals. If you're lucky enough (and Mr. Gangsta and Co are in the mood...) they might, at best, give you a "kaam chaloo hai" reply or something to that effect.

We had had enough of the nonsense and Daddy dearest lost his cool when Mr. Gangsta distorted his favorite, CNBC. You know, that channel, wherein people watch some lifeless graphs all day and routinely skip 2 (or more) heartbeats in co-relation with the percentage change in stock price.

DTH was the only viable option in sight. DTH or Direct-To-Home is defined as the receiving of satellite programmes with a personal dish in an individual home. DTH happens to be far more superior than cable television, simply because it is beamed as a digital signal and not as an analog one. This allows for far more bandwidth, which translates into better picture and sound.

India caught up on the DTH bandwagon in early 2006 and now we have 2 contenders in that very space (2 more on the way, Reliance and Airtel, but thats still some time away, I presume) . Zee Corp. owned DishTV and TATA Sky. Today we'll be taking a look at the latter. (because I brought it, hee hee)

tataskyyj0.jpg

Installation

Its a right breeze, you don't have to worry about one damn thing apart from the fact that you have the necessary permissions from your residential committee.( I have heard of more than one case, wherein the customer brought the set-top-box from the dealer, but wasn't allowed to fix the dish. So, watch it). The equipment which was brought to affix the dish was really cool. There was a really nifty spirit level which allowed the smart sods from Tata Sky to check whether the setup was absolutely in place. There was a lot more uber-cool equipment, which certainly sent the geek in me into a tizzy.

The whole thing will take a maximum of 2 hours, from fixing to calibration. You are surely going to be in for a surprise, when they finish doing their job.

Video

Oh, Tata Sky, where hath you been before? Seriously, its that kinda reaction when you first switch on the idiot box after the installation. The colors are vivid, bright and just like what they were intended to be anyway. This thing deserves as big a TV you can afford.

Even the news presenters look that much more better(the fairer sex, I mean), even whilst delivering the same old "Breaking News". I am also having a gala time watching all the kids channels. Cartoon Network, Pogo and their ilk. "Mom, I want that pack of chips, its got something free inside it!!" Hee, hee, I love being kid!

Audio

The audio, too, is nothing short of amazing. All the frequencies are reproduced quite brilliantly, and the better the speaker system you have, the better your experience. Speech, music, thunder and rain everything sounds quite lively. Well, more livelier than cable TV in any case.

What more is new?

Showcase

Tata gives you the option of watching certain movies of their choice and a lot of times of the day. You select, pay 75 bucks through phone or SMS, get the popcorn and watch the whole movie with just a single ad break. Neat, I say.

Active Content

This is the real fun part and what makes Tata Sky better than the competition. Active Content, is their way of offering a range of interactive content and keeping everyone happy.

You've got games, stories and learning sections for the kids (look at the marketing genius, they know todays kids have enormous influence over parents buying decisions... smart), cooking and newsroom (4 major news channels in one screen) for mom and pop, astrology for the future paranoid and what have you.

They also have Active Sports, which is a bit too optimized for cricket. You can't really blame Tata for this. India is a cricket crazy nation and that won't change for quite a while. Only thing is that they have taken the "Select camera angle" feature out. Should have kept it, really. Indians would love to know everything about cricket from every god damned angle Tata had to offer.

The pricing

Tata offers four packages in the range of Rs 250/- to 350/-. You can take a look at them over here.

We used to pay the cable guy 150 bucks and he was to increase it to 200 or something very soon. We seriously don't mind paying a bit more for really watching some TV rather than all the worldly noises being picked up the silly analog cable. There's enough disturbance in my life already, thank you very much.

Verdict

DTH is nothing short of an eye-opening experience and Tata Sky makes it all the more better. If you're still stuck with cable TV, you're genuinely missing something. No, a lot more, actually. Go, get it, quick!! The idiot box is dead, the smart box is here.

My rating 9/10

Source SatishSays dot ComFeed

A good review mate! Short and sweet!

Each area is controlled by a goon or a similar equivalent and anyone making the slightest of noises is "taken care of". Thats an exaggeration of course, but you get the picture.

If you're lucky enough (and Mr. Gangsta and Co are in the mood...) they might, at best, give you a "kaam chaloo hai" reply or something to that effect.

:rofl:
Thanks, Abhi.

It's good for a start, but now that they have been in operation for over a year, they really need to expand their offering. How about a box with a built in DVR to allow you to record the programs you want to watch later? Introduce that, Tata sky and you'll have me as a subscriber in a jiffy.

but now-a-days they have started to block channels & give them only as add-ons...... which is a very nasty money extracting gimmick!!!!!!

They have crappy set top boxes. I have been using Tata Sky for a little more than a year now and my set top box has been changed twice. Otherwise cc, video, and sound are amazing.

There are 3 players, one of the largest player in the DTH arena u mentioned to forget is DD direct+. Most people in remote aresa like himacal to andman install DDd+ which is in term of quality and Technology use same as industry standerd and all channels are free to air. The harware for ddd+ is only 1.2 buks including sat reciever and dish etc.

And the issue with that is you don't really get many channels with DD. Of course if you don't really care for the pay channels, then you are fine.

All DTH players including TATA Sky misleading people and consumers that they are transmittiting channels in STEREO. if you scan all channels all u will find only 3 or 4 channels are in stereo i.e. VHm, Star Movies, Star World etc. Our hot music channels like 'V' and MTV are in mono.

Reliance has already started broadcasting test signal.

About stereo and mono debate. Well the channel broadcaster first need to make their broadcast stereo. If they dont, there is nothing carrier can do.

And we are already getting plenty of channels in Rs.300. Its a package deal. they keep on adding some channels now and then.

The new channels which are pay channels will obviously cost us more. We are getting channels worth more than 300 already as a part of package deal. The broadcasters which are not offering some channels as part of their package / buffet will be charged by tata and Dish or any other provide for that matter.

Your cablewala might provide it as he is already stealing lot of money by not declaring real no of his subscribers and providing substandard quality to his customers.

I agree. I find Tata sky pretty good (apart from the set top boxes). Most of the channels that are paid are not required for most TV viewers, for example Neo sports is paid and there is no need unless you are a complete sports buff. The matches are broadcasted on DD anyway. The good thing is that they at least offer 1-2 months of the channel free before making it paid so you will know if you want to suscribe it. All the major channels are covered in the 300 package.

very very nice review. i have recently got tata sky installed and it has gud resolution, picture clarity, no hassles, engineers are very cooperative. all gud at tata sky service so far. I have also selected for 300 package. its pretty kwel to view all the channels at digital quality.

Is anyone alse getting very annoyed about that yellow message icon on the screen with Tata Sky.

I get atleast one advert a day, and its all rubbish stuff.

Tried complaining that its illegal to send adverts if you tell them not to, but they just replied that it would be impossible not to send it to some people.

I recird some programs when I'm not home and they all have this icon on the screen. very irritating...

Got one too recently.
Like the good quality transmission, with none of the usual problems you see with normal cable.

However the unavailability of English titles and only a few Hindi titles in "ShowCase" (movie on demand) is quite disappointing.

I hope they do something about that soon.

Back