Video Technical question about Sony Bravia HDTVs - Comparison between features.

ravihpa

Disciple
Hi guys,

A very good friend of mine has got a go ahead from his father to get a 46" Sony Bravia. Now, he as well as me, have done quite an extensive research about the various models that are available, and now we are stuck on 2. The Sony Bravia 46V550A and the Sony Bravia 46W450A. Now, we checked out both of them at various different showrooms and outlets, and we need your suggestion.

Is it better to have 46V550A with Bravia Engine 3 and WITHOUT MotionFlow.

OR...

Is it better to have 46W450A with Bravia Engine 2 WITH MotionFlow 100 hz.

Please help us out with this difficult choice.

Thanx a lot in advance. Desperately waiting for a reply :)

PS: Unfortunately for us, the 46W550A is not yet available in India or Singapore :(

OT:

Have you checked out 46" Samsung LED TVs?

I havn't, but few of my colleagues were raving about it. Also at around 1.4L its not priced too high for a new product.

Its a very slim panel.

check this out

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/...evision&subtype=ledtv&model_cd=UA46B6000VRMXL

Apart from this there's another costlier model with extra features... check the website.

LED, as a technology has many benefits and should be able to match and outdo the best LCDs. Do take a look at them and decide because its slowly but surely getting to a time where LCDs are going to be passe...

vij said:
OT:

Have you checked out 46" Samsung LED TVs?

I havn't, but few of my colleagues were raving about it. Also at around 1.4L its not priced too high for a new product.

Its a very slim panel.

check this out

With sharper images and brighter colours-TV will never be the same. UA46B6000VR - LED TV - Television | SAMSUNG

Apart from this there's another costlier model with extra features... check the website.

LED, as a technology has many benefits and should be able to match and outdo the best LCDs. Do take a look at them and decide because its slowly but surely getting to a time where LCDs are going to be passe...

Hmm....thanx a lot. We'll check it out, but right now his mind is only on Sony. It's like their house motto or something :p If it's a television, it's gotta be a Sony :p They are crazy about Sony's :D

Chk this out:)
Sony Bravia 46V550A and the Sony Bravia 46W450A Comparision

According to me get the KLV-46V550A:eek:hyeah:

Dude...thanx for the suggestion :) We've already been through that comparison numerous times :p but we want to know whether it's better to get MotionFlow and BE2 OR No MotionFlow and BE3 :)

Also, one of the admins at another forum that I frequently visit, GamingIndians, stated this and I am quoting him....

Motionflow 100 Hz is good if you plan to hook up your laptop/PC to your TV. Otherwise is quit useless since game consoles dont make use of it and watching Blu Rays / DVDs with 100Hz enabled results in weird framerate issues with the movie. (Sometimes the film runs at normal speed and sometimes it speeds up framerates slightly, but noticeably, resulting in a negative impact on the "visual depth" of the movie)

We need more suggestions guys. Thanx for helping us out :)

Theres a pretty high chance of any reasonable LED TV sporting improved pictures and improved external styling than almost any LCD in the market.

the sony V550A does have the advantage in SD content due to the BE3 engine,especialy with interlaced signals that u get from tata sky+,big TV,some sun DTH models.it also upscales better the BE2 models but won't be as good as the BE2 pro engine found in X450A.

the W450A has superior motion resolution,which can be seen in fast action video like a predator chasing a prey in animal planet.
but rather then the W450A why don't u buy the 46Z450A in the grey market ,a 40inch Z450A costs 1.50lakh in showroom,where as in grey market it costs about 94k.
the Z450A has even superior motion resolution the first lcd tv to show full 1080lines of motion resolution thanks to 200hz motion flow,the best part of sony motionflow compared to others companies 100hz is that the sony motionflow has very small effect on input lag with slightly reduced judder.the Z450A also has superior sound quality with its big speakers,by far the best lcd in sound quality excluding the X450A series in sony and much better then every other samsung,panasonic models.

46W550A may be availabe in the grey market,where they source it from thailand,which is where sony tvs are assembled.

regarding those led tvs,they aren't worth the premium they are just normal lcds with a LED backlight.the only advantage is the reduced power consumption which translates to around Rs35 to Rs40* a month in savings if u watch 8hrs a day for a 40inch tv.the second advantage is reduced thickness.
the LED lcds that are sold in india that have a performance advantage is the sony 46/55inch X450A series,these have local dimming RGB LED far superior to the samsung Edge LED LUXIA tvs.sony X450A is the only tv that is pitted against the pioneer 9g 50inch kuro.

adder said:
the sony V550A does have the advantage in SD content due to the BE3 engine,especialy with interlaced signals that u get from tata sky+,big TV,some sun DTH models.it also upscales better the BE2 models but won't be as good as the BE2 pro engine found in X450A.

the W450A has superior motion resolution,which can be seen in fast action video like a predator chasing a prey in animal planet.
but rather then the W450A why don't u buy the 46Z450A in the grey market ,a 40inch Z450A costs 1.50lakh in showroom,where as in grey market it costs about 94k.
the Z450A has even superior motion resolution the first lcd tv to show full 1080lines of motion resolution thanks to 200hz motion flow,the best part of sony motionflow compared to others companies 100hz is that the sony motionflow has very small effect on input lag with slightly reduced judder.the Z450A also has superior sound quality with its big speakers,by far the best lcd in sound quality excluding the X450A series in sony and much better then every other samsung,panasonic models.

46W550A may be availabe in the grey market,where they source it from thailand,which is where sony tvs are assembled.

regarding those led tvs,they aren't worth the premium they are just normal lcds with a LED backlight.the only advantage is the reduced power consumption which translates to around Rs35 to Rs40* a month in savings if u watch 8hrs a day for a 40inch tv.the second advantage is reduced thickness.
the LED lcds that are sold in india that have a performance advantage is the sony 46/55inch X450A series,these have local dimming RGB LED far superior to the samsung Edge LED LUXIA tvs.sony X450A is the only tv that is pitted against the pioneer 9g 50inch kuro.

Wow...THANK YOU SO MUCH for such a detailed post. The time and effort you put into this is much appreciated. Thanx a lot buddy :)

I'll speak with him about this, and we'll definitely check out the Z series in showrooms, etc. Will let you know how it goes :)

Thanx again :)

Simple !

Either get the Bravia 46W550A from the grey market or get the Bravia 46V550A from the showroom.

I'm sure he won't be needing the MotionFlow feature.

Oops read around a bit. Samsung is advertising their new televisions as ‘LED TVs’ which is why most people think they are OLEDs. In reality it’s only the backlight that is changed to LED from CCFL but the panel is still an LCD.

Btw the Samsung LED backlit ones (LD) have comparable pic quality to the acclaimed LA46A650A1. So its still a good panel thats now super-slim(just 29mm thick :p).

The true 46" LED displays from Sony costs around $8,999 :S

vij said:
The true 46" LED displays from Sony costs around 5.5L:S

well sony is yet to launch a OLED screen biggen them 11inches.
the 46inch version u are referring to is again a lcd with local dimming LED backlight and it costs 2lakh.
only samsung is misleading by calling these tvs as LED tvs.led backlighting is nothing new ,sony had launched RGB led backlight lcds tv called Qualia way back in 2003 before BRAVIA was introduced ,they never called it a LED tv but just a lcd tv.
sony also has a slim lcd tv launched over a year ago in japan and about a month ago in india called ZX1 which is about 28mm which is 1mm smaller then samsung LED lcd.

I was also checking for LCD's and saw a Sony 46W550A kept beside a 42' Samsung Series6 LED both displaying the same SD content. Samsung Series6 was a lot better than Sony, Samsung was displaying fast moving pictures much better ,it was more clearer and sharper than sony and is pretty noticeable, the colors also appeared much more natural on the Samsung display and Sony's color was more vivid (I think colors can be changed from the settings). I was vouching for sony but couldn't believe my eyes. The SD signal was looking like a true DvD(720p) on the LED wheres in Sony 46W550A the tearing of pictures was clearly visible. I don't know about the FullHD content (1080p) you can check it if you want.

Sony has better features + better sound but Samsung had a far superior display.

Sorry for hijacking ur thread but

I would like to know which display is better in showing SD content 38'',40','42'' and here which LCD/Plasma would suggest budget is 60K max. I personally liked Panasonic 42'' PV80D(plasma) better than any sony LCD or Samsung LCD. Also hoe much more power will a 42'' Plasma require than a 42'' LCD.

Thanks.

adder said:
sony had launched RGB led backlight lcds tv called Qualia way back in 2003 before BRAVIA was introduced ,they never called it a LED tv but just a lcd tv.

sony also has a slim lcd tv launched over a year ago in japan and about a month ago in india called ZX1 which is about 28mm which is 1mm smaller then samsung LED lcd.

most of Qualia is a rear projection TV (expect for the Qualia 005 which was an LCD introduced in 2004)and not a LED LCD TV. AFAIK Sony entered into the LCD market only after Sharp and Samsung started making them.

Sharp was the first to introduce the thin LCD tv first to the market in the whole of the planet and then others followed.Sharp is the LCD TV market leader in japan(controlling almost more than 60% market share) and Sony is no were close to them.

Sharp Unveils D64U, The Thinnest Aquos LCD TV Line Ever - Aquos - Gizmodo

AQUOS X Is World's Thinnest Production TV, Says Sharp - Aquos - Gizmodo

The World's Thinnest LCD TV From Sharp - The Aquos X Series | Geeky Gadgets

LG Displays World’s Thinnest LCD TV Panel

JVC launches world's thinnest LCD | News | TechRadar UK

JVC claims world's thinnest LCD display | Boing Boing Gadgets

JVC ANNOUNCES WORLD’S THINNEST LCD TVs* WITH SLEEK, THIN-BEZEL DESIGN AND REDUCED POWER CONSUMPTION

these days many companies claim to having the thinnest LCD tv which does not matter in terms of pic quality.

World’s Thinnest LCD TV Debuts from LG

adder said:
well sony is yet to launch a OLED screen biggen them 11inches.

the 46inch version u are referring to is again a lcd with local dimming LED backlight and it costs 2lakh.

only samsung is misleading by calling these tvs as LED tvs.led backlighting is nothing new ,sony had launched RGB led backlight lcds tv called Qualia way back in 2003 before BRAVIA was introduced ,they never called it a LED tv but just a lcd tv.

Yep...The 5.5L was a wild guess...coz that display I was talking of(true OLED) costs 8,999$ in the US.

@aman

IMO, when you compare a smaller(comparable) LCD TV to a larger sized TV at a close range often times the smaller TV appears to be sharper.

Cronus said:
most of Qualia is a rear projection TV (expect for the Qualia 005 which was an LCD introduced in 2004)and not a LED LCD TV. AFAIK Sony entered into the LCD market only after Sharp and Samsung started making them.

Sharp was the first to introduce the thin LCD tv first to the market in the whole of the planet and then others followed.Sharp is the LCD TV market leader in japan(controlling almost more than 60% market share) and Sony is no were close to them.

well qualia range there was LED lcd tv with RGB led and yes it was launched in 2004.
well sharp was the leader even in the US in 2005 or 2006,but not any more its has slipped down below samsung,sony,lg.sony lcds still have a performance edge and sales edge compared to sharp worldwide.

vij said:
Yep...The 5.5L was a wild guess...coz that display I was talking of(true OLED) costs 8,999$ in the US

well can give me a link,since AFAIK there is no OLED screen sold except the XEL1 which is a 11inch OLED.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but my question may be relevant

Here you guys are talking about grey market for LCD TVs, but how does one find it ?

I mean can anyone tell me if i am in Mumbai, where should i go ?? :ashamed:

aman.pitbull said:
I was also checking for LCD's and saw a Sony 46W550A kept beside a 42' Samsung Series6 LED both displaying the same SD content. Samsung Series6 was a lot better than Sony, Samsung was displaying fast moving pictures much better ,it was more clearer and sharper than sony and is pretty noticeable, the colors also appeared much more natural on the Samsung display and Sony's color was more vivid (I think colors can be changed from the settings). I was vouching for sony but couldn't believe my eyes. The SD signal was looking like a true DvD(720p) on the LED wheres in Sony 46W550A the tearing of pictures was clearly visible. I don't know about the FullHD content (1080p) you can check it if you want.
well sony hasn't launched the 46w550A in india,so i believe the model u saw was the V550A which doesn't have 100hz positioned to rival the samsung series 5,but since its a sony it is expensive.

Sony has better features + better sound but Samsung had a far superior display.
sony has better sound agreed,but its the samsung that has more features for the prices.

Sorry for hijacking ur thread but
I would like to know which display is better in showing SD content 38'',40','42'' and here which LCD/Plasma would suggest budget is 60K max. I personally liked Panasonic 42'' PV80D(plasma) better than any sony LCD or Samsung LCD. Also hoe much more power will a 42'' Plasma require than a 42'' LCD.

Thanks.
well the pansonic pv8 being a HD ready screen does have a tiny advantage in SD Content,but newer sony S550,v550,w550 etc and samsung B5xx,B6xx etc all have improved image processing,since there are FHD tvs there image processing has to upscale to higher resolution,which can cause some artifacts will look less sharp.so when comparing a HD ready tv to a FHD tv,its better to increase the viewing distance of FHD tv when watching a SD content since it will help reducing the artifacts .even a FHD plasma will be the same as FHD lcd in SD content.
the PV8 performs bad in interlaced videos such as the one u get in tata sky+ or big tv etc,where samsung and sony has the edge ,they also have the edge in contrast.
regarding power consumption the panasonc pv8 consumes around 300watts where as lcd like samsung series 5 40inch consumes around 115watts at the same brightness output.

@adder

You are right after all... Its not true OLED... But is RGB dynamic LED and costs an obscene $8,999

Sony X4 Series

Price:

KDL-55X4500A S$16,999 47.5kg & 1486 x 803 x 147mm

KDL-46X4500A S$8,999 33kg & 1259 x 685 x 144mm

KDL-40X4500A S$5,999 23.5kg & 1128 x 603 x 125mm

BRAVIA Signature Series in Full HD

Once again setting the benchmark for the ultimate in viewing indulgence, the new BRAVIA X4 series with built-in digital tuner, represents the perfect balance of elegant design, unmatched picture quality and the latest cutting-edge technologies. Be awed by its sophisticated presence and experience premium entertainment in Full HD.

Product Specifications

Video:

• Full HD 1080 Resolution

• Theatre Mode and 24P True Cinema

• 10-Bit LCD Panel

• MPEG Noise Reduction

• Motionflow™ PRO / 100Hz

• Intelligent Picture

• x.v.Colour

• RGB Dynamic LED / WCG-CCFL 2nd Gen

• BRAVIA Engine 2 PRO

• Live Colour Creation

Audio:

• S-Force Front Surround

• Voice Zoom

Connectivity:

• 4 HDMI™ Connections (1080P Capable)

• Component/Audio in x 2

• Composite/Audio in x 3

• Digital Media Port x 1

• PC Input (HD 15)

• USB 2.0 x 1

Functionality:

• BRAVIA Sync

• XMB™ (Xross Media Bar)

• PhotoTV HD

• Ambient Light Sensor

• Picture Frame Mode

• Ultra-Slim, Space Saving Design

• PIP and PAP

• Swivel (except 70”)

• DLNA

• Built-In Digital Tuner

[Official] Sony X450A, X4500, Z450A, Z4500 - Page 2 - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

vij said:
@adder

You are right after all... Its not true OLED... But is RGB dynamic LED and costs an obscene $8,999

well thats Singapore dollar:) anyway a OLED tv the size of 46inch when ever its launched will cost more then US $15000

adder said:
well thats Singapore dollar:) anyway a OLED tv the size of 46inch when ever its launched will cost more then US $15000

Thanks! Indeed that is. Did seem like something was off :p

This diwali, I was planning to upgrade from 42" PV70H to the Samsung 6series 46" LED backlit one priced at 1.4L(should be able to get it for bit lower)... but now it doesnt seem smart thing to do.... in any case will check the display out and decide.

Back