Teenage pregnancy,legality.

vishal2055

Disciple
Some months back I was watching a show called too much too young and it featured about teenage pregnancies where girls as young as 14 are becoming mothers in the UK.In most of the cases the males are left scott free as they dont owe anything towards the child.

Then I saw/read about same sort of cases happening in the US.

Now my question is isnt sex with a girl who is under 18 years of age considered as illegal ? What if the father is 18+ and the girl is 18- ? How come the man/boy is not jailed for committing statutory rape ?

I am perplexed by this ...:S

1. This is not the right place to discuss anything of this sort.

2. Sex with under 18 girls is not illegal. The other side of the coin is when people misuse that and do bad things, the least of which is expose themselves, publish explicit material and distribute it.

3. This is one of the biggest problems faced by "developed" countries where there are under 18 pregnancies and under 40 grandmothers.

4. Technically there is no accountability for anyone. Even if the girl wishes she can easily make her own decisions regarding the future of the pregnancy, but there can be major complications, medically as well as emotionally. This holds true even if one of the participants :)P) is 18+.

5. How come that is classified as rape? If there was consensual sex, then where is the rape? As per wikipedia - Rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Although I wouldn't go around quoting that, it is as close as it gets to the real definition in common language.

6. After the perplexity you experienced, I hope you, and in turn all of us, should realize the need for safe sex, sexual hygiene, and clearer sexual education. Use condoms and proper contraception and there need be no fear of unwanted pregnancies and STDs.

Request to mods - please close this thread as it will only lead to crackpot discussions.

^ Thanks for the indepth info

It is illegal.Just check it up.

Dude.. it was nice of you trying to teach me about safe sex.Kudos to you man.But my post here was purely for information purposes.Its like the law is broken in front of you and you have the evidence too... but the perpetrator goes free.Thats what made me started thinking.

In each and every show out there people consider having sex with a minor (under 18) to be illegal and the person can be jailed for it.That example of the show "californication" where david duchovny does it with a 16 yr old without knowing it ofcourse.And there are numerous other movies,articles which claim that sex with a minor (under 18) is considered illegal.It is considered Statutory rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I never mentioned about rape.I wrote specifically statutory rape.

Now what I wanted to know how come the people who produce babies in the aforementioned way dont get punished by the law ..

Just today I downloaded an episode of a show called maury.Its sort of jerry springer spin-off.The episode featured a 16 year old who is a mother of a 4 month old baby and she feels that a male (20 year old) whom she had sex with is the father of the child.But the male denies it.Then they conduct a dna test and indeed the 20 year old is the father of the child.Now in this case .... isnt it a major doing it with a minor ??? And isnt it punishable offence ?

@kippu .... nahi re baba.

@chiron .... That girl who was featured in the show "too much too young" was 14 with a baby.Damn.When they showed her playing with the kid I honestly thought she was playing with her sibling.Even the narrator mentioned the same thing.Then when the narrator told about her being the mother (that too single mother ... the who fathered the child didnot accept the responsibitly) How come the law cannot do anything in such cases? Is it like they cannot prosecute if the girl doesnt testify ???

I dunno about Britain or US but here in India, having any physical relationship with a girl under the age of 18 years is rape. there is no sub clause under this. whether it is consensual or not, it is rape.

In US in many states even abortions are against the law.

^+1 .. Yepp.. Different countries have diff. rules regarding RAPE & min. age after which consensual sex is not considered Rape... In India its 18yrs...

Also in India laws on consensual sex is pretty tough with many subdivisions. Its very easy to charge Rape in India if its proved that there was no consent... even b/w husband & wife...

most of the kids at age 15-18 year does not don't know what is condom and how to have safe sex know as rape :p

well atleast they are not married to each other by society at that age unlike in india..so i think it is not illegal.

on the other hand.. teenage pregnancy has got nothing to do with development of the country...it is all about the development of the society..just because there is no such TV show in india does not imply that teenage pregnancy is null in india.

there was a certain girl in my school who got pregnant in 9th standard...14-15yr old i suppose.

btw, how is a 14yr old suppose to buy condoms ?

he is not even authorized to have a bank account to buy online..

Tech_enthu said:
I dunno about Britain or US but here in India, having any physical relationship with a girl under the age of 18 years is rape. there is no sub clause under this. whether it is consensual or not, it is rape.

That is true. in most other countries, the parents of a minor girl can register a rape case even in case of consensual sex if the parent objects to it. In India it is not even needed. In fact even the parents can be charged if they were found to have consented to/encouraged such an act .

HailStonE said:
^+1 .. Yepp.. Different countries have diff. rules regarding RAPE & min. age after which consensual sex is not considered Rape... In India its 18yrs...

Each county has its own age of consent. The lowest I have heard is 14 years for a girl and that is every rare. The normal in most places is 16 or 18 years. The highest I have heard is 21 years for the girl.

HailStonE said:
Also in India laws on consensual sex is pretty tough with many subdivisions. Its very easy to charge Rape in India if its proved that there was no consent... even b/w husband & wife...

The laws are pretty one sided for such cases in our country. Even in case of consensual sex, the girl can charge the guy (even if it is her husband) with rape any time and unless the guy absolutely proves that it was consensual sex with irrefutable evidence, the benefit of doubt goes in favor of the girl.

Arun.P said:
i was feel horny 3 year ago and i stop using website might be waste of time and energy :|
Your taking stark honestly to a whole frickin' new level! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

P.S. - We won't judge you if you start using the websites again! :p

Don't confuse minimum age for marriage(18 and 21 for females and males respectively) with age of consent.

Age of consent ranges from 14-16 on an average for most countries,some have as low as 11 :-o and some have as high as 18.

Just because age of consent is 14 does not mean it is legal for everybody to have sex with a 14 year old.

An under 18 year old(minor)cannot give consent to an 18+ year old(adult).It would be considered statutory rape no matter if it was consensual.

India's age of consent for heterosexual sex is 16, except in the state of Manipur, where it is 14. If the partners are married to each other they may legally engage in sexual activity at a lower age (13 in Manipur and 15 elsewhere). [15]

The Kerala High Court, in 2004, succeeded in recommended the state government to increase the age of consent to 18. The Law Commission of India, has recommended the federal government to raise the age of consent of married person to 16 from 15.[13] However, none of those proposals have been considered by any of the (federal / state) legislatures till date. [16]

An old British-era law banning "carnal intercourse against the order of nature" was used to prosecute people for having anal or oral sex, though prosecutions are rare. That law (Section 377, Indian Penal Code Act 1860) is currently under constitutional challenge at the Delhi High Court for violating the human rights of sexual minorities. But after the Delhi High Court's Judgement on the issue, the age of consent for consensual homosexual sex is 18. [17] See LGBT rights in India[.[14][15]
From Ages of consent in Asia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So for most of india, if the boy/girl is less then 16 then any sexual activity between them is illegal and subject to punishment.

16 for hetrosexuals
18 for homosexuals but marriage is still illegal or no recognition

The age of consent in japan is 13. Part of the reason is because there society distinguishes between love and sex. See japan and prostitution.

If its a 22yr guy and 14yr girl, the you can call it rape, but if both are 14, i guess you cant do anythin, both are too young to understand the consequences.. You hav to understand that..

I think there is a need to publicize condoms a lot more than what they are doing now..
Those young guys and gals who want to hav sex will find time and place to do it..no use opposing it.. Rather better if we hav free condom boxes with sex education leaflets..

And just fyi , purchasing condoms from a shop is mental trauma for these kids.. A friend became 21 and we gifted him a pack of condoms, while buying, the shopkeeper was staring at us lik an eagle, like he has an upper hand, suddenly 4girls of our group came and sed, 'bhaiya pehli bar condom bech rahe ho kya ?' and the shopkeeper went red..not everyone has this courage and prefer to take the risk of goin bareback..

rape laws in India are one sided:|

Party Monger said:
purchasing condoms from a shop is mental trauma for these kids.. A friend became 21 and we gifted him a pack of condoms, while buying, the shopkeeper was staring at us lik an eagle, like he has an upper hand, suddenly 4girls of our group came and sed, 'bhaiya pehli bar condom bech rahe ho kya ?' and the shopkeeper went red..not everyone has this courage and prefer to take the risk of goin bareback..

:rofl::rofl:

We need more girls like these in our country:D

PS: there are automatic vending machines installed for this purpose

Back