Terrible News - Google Photos

bigb123

Disciple
Google will be ending free photo backup facility in June 2021....

Just saw this, we all knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. Their 200GB yearly plan is also relatively economical at Rs 1,300 but nothing beats free storage:confused:.
But it's 200 gigs of shared storage. Not that much IMO.
In the past 3 years, I must have uploaded more than 500 gb of photos and videos to Drive (using P2XL which has original storage for free till Jan 2021).
Just a 3-4 min video in FHD hits about 800-1000 MB. Anything lower than 1 TB, and it's pretty useless.

[emoji17]Not unexpected but still a huge blow

Is there any other service like it that gives free storage for photos?

At the minimum i want to now create a backup somewhere else too so that I am not forced into taking a plan. I most probably might but I want to have an option and not be controlled

In the past 3 years, I must have uploaded more than 500 gb of photos and videos to Drive (using P2XL which has original storage for free till Jan 2021).
Just a 3-4 min video in FHD hits about 800-1000 MB. Anything lower than 1 TB, and it's pretty useless.
Agreed, but like I said it is what it is & we have no option but to just pay up as there aren't any competing services with better free options. Silver lining is you at least get to keep you older stuff at no additional cost.

Just saw this, we all knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. Their 200GB yearly plan is also relatively economical at Rs 1,300 but nothing beats free storage:confused:.
I just checked, and it's 100 gb for 1300 a year. 200 gb is 2100 a year. Costly IMO.

ekEauxm.png

I now remember the olden days...having external hdds just for backing up important family photos/ videos.... This move by google has hit hard... :(

I still backup locally. All my photos are backup up in at least 2 of my external HDDs.
If your photos are very important then physical drives can't really be trusted with it.
I just checked, and it's 100 gb for 1300 a year. 200 gb is 2100 a year. Costly IMO.

ekEauxm.png
Thing is the price can go up anytime google wants and they will increase it in the future.

If your photos are very important then physical drives can't really be trusted with it.
There are still DVD's available for cheap. Zip up the files to < 4GB sizes and write at 4x-8x speeds and the dvd's will last a long time if stored properly. Cloud storage is someone else's computer and hdd and they can stop their service anytime they feel like. It's definitely not for very important stuff you can't afford to lose.

You get 1TB storage in the Office 365 yearly plan. For the shared plan that everyone is using on TE, it comes to 675-750 a year for that per person. I think this is the cheapest option right now.

Thing is the price can go up anytime google wants and they will increase it in the future.
What will you trust then ? How do you maintain redundancy ? 2 local backups, 1 on Google Cloud. It's more than what an average Joe does ! :confused:

Correct, this is the right pricing.
What will you trust then ? How do you maintain redundancy ? 2 local backups, 1 on Google Cloud. It's more than what an average Joe does ! :confused:
I think cloud storage is as safe as it can get. Specially with bigger brands like Google, Microsoft & Apple... reliability should never be an issue. Prices on the other hand can & will definitely increase once adoption increases. Mechanical drives & DVD storage are a big no for storage IMO as they are extremely unreliable.
Apparently Pixel 1-5 will continue to enjoy unlimited high quality storage even after June 2021. Source

If you have a Pixel 1-5, photos uploaded from that device won’t be impacted. Photos and videos uploaded in High quality from that device will continue to be exempt from this change, even after June 1, 2021.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I do 2 external HDD backups. Weekly.

The limit is for HQ photos only. Most of the time regular quality is enough to see stuff on screens.

If that is not OK, personal cloud/NAS is the way to go. That would be cheaper and you are in control of your data.

There are still DVD's available for cheap. Zip up the files to < 4GB sizes and write at 4x-8x speeds and the dvd's will last a long time if stored properly. Cloud storage is someone else's computer and hdd and they can stop their service anytime they feel like. It's definitely not for very important stuff you can't afford to lose.
DVDs? I'll just pay Google to store my stuff :)

Back